Added a Shunyata Typhon to the Shunyata Triton

Options
BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
edited March 2014 in Electronics
The Typhon is an add-on for the Shunyata Triton that works in parallel to the Triton. It provides a huge increase in AC filtering, but requires a few days to settle in for maximum effectiveness. I added it Thursday night and these are my notes so far.

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/distributors-footer/48-power-dist-ref-series/84-hydra-typhon#!typhon_inside

I finally broke down and bought a Typhon after using a Triton for two years at least. In that time I have added a Cyclops for my amps, have all Anaconda ICs (analog and digital), Anaconda speaker cables, Zitron Anaconda power cords to the Triton and Cyclops, Zitron Python to the amps, Alpha Digital to the file player, and Zitron Cobras to the pre, SACD, and DAC. Recently, I added VTX-11 speaker jumpers, so there is not a single non-Shunyata cable in my stereo.

This gives me a stable platform to evaluate the Typhon, and this is what I have heard over the last two nights.

Typhon notes:

Installed Typhon on Thursday night, 3/27/14, around 8 PM. Left entire stereo on overnight and into Friday night. Didn't really hear much difference, but then I didn't put much effort into it since I had to work the next day.

Friday night, 3/28/14. There is now a definite emphasis on the the low end, bass and male voices, while the highs seem muted. Just listened to Raising Sand, and noticed this. Also, the tape hiss that is apparent on this CD was reduced. Basically, the sound is sort of muddled now versus the clear distinct sound with just the Triton. I guess this means the Typhon works since it has no indication that it is doing anything. I was tempted to open it and make sure all the wiring is connected.

Saturday night, 3/27/14. Stereo has been on since Thursday night. The overall sound is becoming smoother, and much less muddied. Details, if there, stick out more. I was listening to a classical CD file track that was obviously copied from an old vinyl recording, and you can clearly hear the low level rumble associated with turn tables. Sort of a nostalgia trip.

Played Raising Sand again tonight, and now it sounds more cohesive, and better balanced between lows and highs. The tape hiss is still reduced.

At this point, the Typhon appears to be adjusting to its new friends and is playing nicely. Between files there is now nothing, and the music just appears from no where. Bass seems a bit more powerful, while highs are becoming clearer. Much better than last night.

Wonder how it will sound tomorrow night, and more importantly, next Friday night.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Post edited by BlueFox on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited March 2014
    Options
    It's interesting how they design power filtering. It looks to be of very high quality. Curious what the entire power rig is retail?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I dunno Fox, going by what your describing, which is very minute differences, can't say that purchase was money well spent. If I was you, I'd be more inclined to throw that coin at improving the digital end where you can.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Yes. That is one reason why I waited so long before buying it. Basically, it is the 'last' piece of equipment I need for the stereo power. However, there is no denying I am at the point of minimal ROI. On the other hand, on other forums, people who have added one, or more, end up swearing it is one of the best things they added. Some even buy one for each dedicated AC line they have.

I am very happy with my digital now. The Bryston file player and Auralic Vega DAC, connected with an Anaconda digital cable, is working quite well. It will take a much bigger price to improve this than what the Typhon cost.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I'm sure these are great cables but I am bothered when companies start naming such things as cables after esoteric Buddhist concepts! Why not just call them VOIDs? EMPTINESS cables? Or NULL?

Just a pet peeve and not much else here. Carry on!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]