Johnny Cash

Options
stretchl
stretchl Posts: 1,334
edited April 2014 in Music & Movies
Anyone a fan?

I just bought "The Greatest Number Ones" and it's making me realize what I've been missing all these years. As a kid I used to hear him on the local country station but never listened again for 40 years or so.

From what I've read I understand that the two live prison albums are must haves.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Questions, commenta, opposing viewpoints?

Thanks!
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
Cabling by Groneberg
Visuals
https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
Post edited by stretchl on

Comments

• brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited March 2014
    Options
    The live prison shows are indeed great.
    The American recordings are fantastic.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2014
    Options
    At Folsom Prison (live) Legacy Edition includes 51 total uncut tracks instead of the original 16.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks, Jeremy! That's exactly the kind of direction I was looking for!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited March 2014
    Options
    brgman wrote: »
    The live prison shows are indeed great.
    The American recordings are fantastic.

Agreed.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I have the At Folsom Prison SACD and for the time and the way it was recorded not to bad if you ask me...
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited March 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Word on the street is that Mr. Cash has some new material coming out that was never released. The stuff dates back to '81-'84, supposedly his dark period. There are also supposed to be some duets with his wife, as well as with Waylon.

It's called ''Out Among The Stars'' and can be heard now at MSN listening booth.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Another one I like with Johnny Cash is the Story Tellers Album with Willie Nelson. Its all acoustic and nice and mellow, but its a great one to listen to sipping on your beverage of choice and relaxing.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Out Among The Stars is a worthy purchase. I have listened to it a few times and belongs in ones Cash collection, matter of fact think I will take it to work today.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited April 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I've had several people ask about that one after playing it.

....liar ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a