Any NAD fans out there?

Comments

• adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited March 2014
    Just recently bought my first NAD gear. Two C275 amps from Spearit Sound and a C162 preamp (just won on eBay last night). I'll be running the C275s monobridged into LS90s, or may experiment with vertical biamping.

One of the C275s created a loud noise in mono mode. Spearit Sound has another one en route, even before they get one back from me. Great company - everyone I've worked with there has been very professional and courteous.

Can't comment on the sound until I get a chance to listen to the full set-up.

I noticed that NAD rates the power output on the C275s at a much lower distortion level than many other companies. I equate that to conservative power ratings.

As far as looks go, they are plain Jane as it gets, but that does not bother me at all. I personally don't care to have components draw attention to themselves visually.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • Christo
    Christo Posts: 30
    edited May 2014
    I owned and loved a 370 integrated. I think the later NAD sound tends toward the revealing and analytical side, rather then the warmer sound of the past.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2014
    Christo wrote: »
    I owned and loved a 370 integrated. I think the later NAD sound tends toward the revealing and analytical side, rather then the warmer sound of the past.
    It still retains the warm natural sound of sound if you will. It doesn't have that Sterile transistor Solid state sound.
    Analytical? Yeah you could say that as the detail and transparency is amazing especially in this price range. I find NAD equipment to be very Satisfying for hours of listening. One thing I'm a but surprised in is the power rating vs actual power this T977 amp has. It has scary power. I still say it's greatly under rated at 140 by 7. It responds like a 200-250 watt per channel with basically limitless dynamic range. Give it to it and it gives it to you back with plenty of head room. Pretty amazing amp. I'm really liking it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,891
    edited May 2014
    Nice write up Dan, I myself have never heard any Nad gear, not that I know or remember anyways, but I do agree on the looks. Adcom was and is the same way with the exception of the 750 pre. But I think the Nad gear of today is much better looking then the adcom gear.

The looks of Outlaw is what I find down right ugly though. Would be fine for a garage setup..
  • fort
    fort Posts: 39
    edited May 2014
    Christo wrote: »

My NAD 375 BEE's detailed/revealing side makes it a good match to my LSi7. My HK 3480 actually makes the LSi7 sound bright and fatiguing. But many describe the HK 3490/3480 a warm sounding receiver.
  • adam2434
    edited May 2014
    Well, my first and only NAD experience was a nightmare.

Three out of four C275BEE amps had issues - one with distortion in bridged mode, one DOA, and one with a right channel that faded in stereo mode. These were all refurbs from Spearit Sound. Spearit Sound was great to work with through all the issues, by the way. I originally wanted to use 2 in bridged mode, gave up on that, and then could not get 2 working amps to use in a vertical bi-amp config.

The C162 pre I bought used had a hiss-like side from the chassis (with no other gear connected) that could be heard from my listening position. It also produced substantial hiss from my speakers when everything was connected.

I was able to return it all and am going with Rotel. Already have a RC-1580 pre, and will be picking up a RB-1582 MKII amp from a local dealer in the next few days. So far, I'm happy with the Rotel pre - very quite and substantially built. Looking forward to hearing it with the Rotel amp.

I really wanted to go NAD, so was very disappointed with all the issues. May have just been very unlucky, but I can't see myself ever buying NAD gear again.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
  • mantis
    edited May 2014
    adam2434 wrote: »
    Well, my first and only NAD experience was a nightmare.

Three out of four C275BEE amps had issues - one with distortion in bridged mode, one DOA, and one with a right channel that faded in stereo mode. These were all refurbs from Spearit Sound. Spearit Sound was great to work with through all the issues, by the way. I originally wanted to use 2 in bridged mode, gave up on that, and then could not get 2 working amps to use in a vertical bi-amp config.

The C162 pre I bought used had a hiss-like side from the chassis (with no other gear connected) that could be heard from my listening position. It also produced substantial hiss from my speakers when everything was connected.

I was able to return it all and am going with Rotel. Already have a RC-1580 pre, and will be picking up a RB-1582 MKII amp from a local dealer in the next few days. So far, I'm happy with the Rotel pre - very quite and substantially built. Looking forward to hearing it with the Rotel amp.

I really wanted to go NAD, so was very disappointed with all the issues. May have just been very unlucky, but I can't see myself ever buying NAD gear again.
    Sorry you had these issues with NAD. But I can tell you after Installing and owning NAD for many years now, they make very good high quality gear. They have for many years and why I have a full stack now including a external DAC.
    I also owed Rotel twice and honestly I don't think I'll ever go back to them until they build a good quality Home Theater preamp. I haven't liked them since the came out with the RSP1069. This is a personal opinion not Professional.
    Sound quality they are a bit different. I think I prefer the sound of NAD over Rotel only because they seem a bit warmer and slightly more dynamic.Dynamic's is one strong point of NAD. They seem to have no end, limitless if you will. I damn blew myself out of my room with the T977 amp. It's an effin beast. It's rated at 140 watts by 7 but it performs like a strong 200+ model amp. The current drive on it is amazing , thats a place I would compare it to Bryston which has the same approach to amps , that limitless dynamic range . Nothing I like more in amp.
    Dan
  • adam2434
    edited May 2014
    Mantis, as I was dealing with all the issues, I did listen to a single C275 with my LS90's and thought it sounded great - more than enough amp to drive them with ample dynamics and a balanced sound.

The problem was the bad taste all the QC issues left. I was just not willing to try a 5th amp in order to get 2 good ones. I was also concerned that the good one would fail early.

Glad NAD gear has worked for you though.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited May 2014
    I've never owned any NAD products but I do remember them being highly regarded back in the 70's ,80's and 90's.
  • Xaar
    Xaar Posts: 7
    edited June 2014
    Hi,

Thanks to Mantis and all posters for the usefull information found in this thread.

I have also a NAD-187 and a NAD T-977. I use them to drive a pair of B&W 802 for the fronts, a pair of B&W AW-1and a B&W DB1 subwoofer.

I would like to bi-amp my front speakers in such a way that I use 2 amplifier channels for the left speaker and 2 amplifier speakers for the right channel. I've been told that the NAD AV receivers can be configured that way, however, I fail to find the option on the NAD T-187.

Can someone help me ?

Thanks !!
  • mantis
    edited June 2014
    All you have to do is Y out the outputs to the channels you want to use.
    Dan
  • Xaar
    edited June 2014
    I've been comparing the NAD T187 and T977 with the Class
  • Xaar
    edited June 2014
    OK, I got the Y connectors installed so my T977 is bi-amping the B&W 802 speakers now.
    The result ?
    Well, the bass response is better but...not yet perfect. The overall sound production of the 802s improved, also on the mid-range and also on the bass drivers. I still don't get the warm fat bass that a Classe produces, this may be due to the fact that the 802s needs some time to play in.
    Overall, the speakers respond better. The extra power that goes into them does do them good.

SO, do you need to go for bi-amping with the NAD T977 ? My answer is YES.
    Will you get the performance of the Classe CA-5300 ? My answers is NO. The music produced is very very nice, but the bass is lacking.
    Will the speakers improve over time ? I think so.
    Is the NAD T977 a good option to drive the 802s ? In my opinion yes, but, do hook on a B&W DB1 as well.

Hope this helps ;)
  • DAVID SCHOTT
    DAVID SCHOTT Posts: 9
    edited June 2014
    hello I purchased a m25 but mine does not have a thx logo on the front I was wondering if yours does thanx david?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    edited June 2014
    hello I purchased a m25 but mine does not have a thx logo on the front I was wondering if yours does thanx david?

I do not know the answer, but your screen name makes me feel like I am being yelled at...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,090
    edited June 2014

I gave you a response in your original thread. Is there e reason you want to thread-jack this one instead of posting in your original?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?162076-Nad-m25-no-thxultra2-logo-on-front-panel
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited June 2014
    New convert here. I never really seriously heard or even looked at their gear. Famous for using their grey color which is fine and just today I got a NAD 1020A pre/amp. So far it is better than my Onkyo P3150v in tone response and does have a headphone jack on the front panel. I never used the ledge before but I think Sansui did it ages ago and again no problem w/ wiring it to a ledge instead of the back panel. Would I look into more modern NAD gear, yes but I do not need anything else right now.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Xaar
    edited June 2014
    I posted some time ago that in comparison with the Classe Audio CA-5300 the T-977 is a bit weak on the bass front.

I have to review this completely. I got more and more experienced with the T-977 and also with the T-187 pre-amplifier. I was up to a point to buy an extra power-amplifier to drive my B&W 802 speakers UNTIL.... I noticed and activated in the T-187 menu, on the dsp listenening menu, the Audyssey Dyn Eq option. By default, this option is off. Activate it and fall through your chair... You will have a round, deep but subtle bass drive...the one I was looking for.

As a matter a fact, I don't acitvate my DB1 subwoofer anymore for listening to music. The B&W's 802 can do that so well now with this option activated. They marvel and there is absolutely no lack of power anymore. All frequencies do deliver and give a briljant, crisp, cleart sound. with many accents on the mids and with an amazing underlying bass drive.

I hope this helps for the other NAD owners out there. Unless you activated this option, you don't know what fantastic gear you have in your living room :)

I see absolutely no reason anymore to buy more expensive gear.
  • DAVID SCHOTT
    DAVID SCHOTT Posts: 9
    edited July 2014
    Hello I purchased a m25 amp but it does not have the thx logo on the front face plate any thoughts why? It really plays well, using sony ta-es9000 pre/pro, really had to turn the treble and midrange down ! what is a blessing and a curse the sony pre/pro has so many EQ ajustments every dvd and audio source needs to be tweeked but that's all the fun. Former amp sony ta 9000es 5 channel. Running B&W 804's non diamonds mains B&W HTM2 center DENON 5910ci dvd sony dvp-s9000 es cd player sunfire sub monster cable htps7000 line conditioner.
  • Pastor Bill
    Pastor Bill Posts: 130
    edited July 2014
    I have an NAD 7140 receiver that has pleased me for many years. Recently, the volume pot became noisy and the speaker balance would occasionally favor one side over the other. After finally overcoming my fear and reluctance to get inside the case, I cleaned the chassis a tad and hit the volume/balance pot with some CRC tuner cleaner/lube. My joy has been restored. I like the simple, "no bells and whistles" approach of NAD and their simple cosmetics are easy on the eye. For my simple tastes, it is an entirely satisfactory piece of equipment.
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited July 2014
    Xaar wrote: »
    I see absolutely no reason anymore to buy more expensive gear.

We don't "see" reasons....we "hear" them. If your completely satisfied, don't go listening to more gear.
    Hello I purchased a m25 amp but it does not have the thx logo on the front face plate any thoughts why? .

Because that Logo cost money, are you willing to pay an increased amount for that same amp just to have a logo on it ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Xaar
    edited July 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    We don't "see" reasons....we "hear" them. If your completely satisfied, don't go listening to more gear.

You are so right.

And that is all the fun :) I will go out and listen....
  • Xaar
    edited July 2014

On the other hand, the Class
  • Xaar
    edited July 2014

On the other hand, the class Home Video setup cost around 18000 EUR. The NAD alternative around 4500 EUR. (retail)

Now, this is a big difference. I personally don't care how much it costs, but it needs to have a serious edge to it. Now, I did not hear it yet. I also have the impression that the Classe boosts the low frequencies at lower volumes, something the NAD does not do by default.
  • Polk_e_Man
    Polk_e_Man Posts: 14
    mantis wrote: »
    I did some serious 2 channel Listening today after all was said and done and what I noticed compared to the Pioneer Elite SC-68 is the following.
    1) Control , it seems like the woofers have more control over them. They seem to start and stop a bit quicker.It's like the Dampening factor is higher.
    2) Warm, The SC-68 is a very warm and beautiful sounding receiver but this NAD setup I got is even more pleasing. It's not a radical difference like night and day, it's more subtle. Small things like comfort and balance with the mid range. It sounds like someone tweaked my crossovers.
    3) Clarity, this is something I felt the SC-68 did very well. Very revealing AVR and very comparable to the NAD setup. But the NAD seems to have just a and more balance in clarity. I can hear things a bit more on their own without having to listen for awhile into the music. I can hear it right away.
    4) Power, the NAD T977 amp is rated at 140 watts per channel all channels driven. The SC-68 is also rated at 140 Watts per channel. The difference is very small in power but yet I feel like the speakers seem to play what I send them more effortlessly. It's like a reserve that is just dying to spring into life.
    I'll be honest, before I took the T977 home, I was on the fence with not having 200 to more watts. But The T977 performs like it has 300+. It's not volume that is in question, it's the effortless sound I now have. I'm a bit taken by it's grace. Even with only 140 watts of power, I feel like I made a upgrade in this area. Not to mention the damn amp weighs in over 70 lbs and has a full fan system built in. It gets much warmer then the SC-68 ever did. Pioneer did many things right when they built the SC lines. They just got better and better. The SC-68 is an achievement in Receiver in AVR technology and I would be completely happy with it even after listening to the small differences going back to separates has made.
    I have not tried the SC-68 as a preamp with the NAD amp. I'm not really sure I want to now.
    FEATURES, this is where I feel I lost a lot. not to mention the T187 does not support front Height or Wide channels. I think thats stupid and I'm a bit not sure if I'm happy about that. I wanted to buy a pair of Gem XL's for heights but I never got around to it. With the NAD I can't add Heights but the Preamp is a card based platform so maybe NAD will release a Height and width output card.
    No Built in USB Dac so I need to get an external to play my computer music. This is one thing the SC-68 excelled at. Think about it, having a high quality built in USB DAC is magical IMO. It's what got me to upgrade from my SC-07 to the SC-68. It's so damn good to. This is an area I can't compare the NAD to the Pioneer as the High Rez music makes it a completely unfair compare. NAD has a few DAC's I'm looking at so I might go that way. Sony's new unit also looks very cool which is another consideration.
    NO BALANCED, is it needed? No but I wouldn't mind having balanced outputs. Currently it's dead silent but I have done some comparisons and felt that Balanced IC's are so much better then Single ended due to the ability to shield out noise. Even if you had entry level cables, you would have a very nice black back ground with no noise. Something I wish NAD would use.
    LOOKS, now this is where the Elite whips it's ****. The Elite is sexy even in it's worse look in 15 years. The NAD is Gray and as plain as Jane ever was. I personally don't think it's good looking gear and that does bother me some. I look at it and don't feel all warm and juicy like when I look at Pioneer Elite gear. If Pioneer offered a Preamp and Amp, I would return the NAD.
    I don't have that many hours on the NAD gear so I'm gonna run it for a week and then sit down and really listen again. Right now I'm saying it's a slightly upgrade from where. the SC-68 is that good.
    Some Pic's after I removed the SC-68 and installed the pre and amp.IMG_7215_zpse443a88d.jpg
    IMG_7219_zps36c96bc1.jpg
    IMG_7220_zps1ab95245.jpg

Mantis...your setup is awesome! That Salamander furniture is great for components and built like a rock. BTW, where did you pick up your NAD equipment? I just purchased a brand new NAD T757 from an audio store in New York (I live in AZ) but haven't had the chance to set it up because I'll be moving in about a month. I still have to sell my Anthem AVM 20 preamp. I like the sound and flexibility of the Anthem, but I just couldn't pass up the NAD for the price I got it for and the fact that it has HDMI switching. I did a firmware update on the receiver when I took it out of the box (went from v1.32 to v1.41), which went well. I've always liked NAD stuff ever since I first saw their NAD T752 receiver here in AZ. Anyhow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I do get around to setting it up it will perform without a hitch. I would love to be able to just go out and come home with a NAD T187 and T977 amp, but, alas, I'm married! :-)
    HT Room: Preamp - NAD T757 | Amp - Emotiva UPA-500 | Mains - Polk RTi4 | CC - Polk CSi3 | Source - Harman/Kardon DVD48 | Blu-Ray- Oppo BDP-83 | Source - Denon DMD-1000 | Source - Denon DRS-810 | Source - Rega RP-1 | Video Source - Sony RDRGX7 | Video Source - JVC HM-DH30000U | TV - LG 42" LCD Flat Screen
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Polk_e_Man wrote: »
    Mantis...your setup is awesome! That Salamander furniture is great for components and built like a rock. BTW, where did you pick up your NAD equipment? I just purchased a brand new NAD T757 from an audio store in New York (I live in AZ) but haven't had the chance to set it up because I'll be moving in about a month. I still have to sell my Anthem AVM 20 preamp. I like the sound and flexibility of the Anthem, but I just couldn't pass up the NAD for the price I got it for and the fact that it has HDMI switching. I did a firmware update on the receiver when I took it out of the box (went from v1.32 to v1.41), which went well. I've always liked NAD stuff ever since I first saw their NAD T752 receiver here in AZ. Anyhow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I do get around to setting it up it will perform without a hitch. I would love to be able to just go out and come home with a NAD T187 and T977 amp, but, alas, I'm married! :-)

Let me guess, you're moving to the Saratoga area in Upstate NY?

You and half of AZ, lol.

My father has the NAD T787 and he LOVES it. Heavy as hell and sounds really, really nice.
  • mantis
    I did some serious 2 channel Listening today after all was said and done and what I noticed compared to the Pioneer Elite SC-68 is the following.
    1) Control , it seems like the woofers have more control over them. They seem to start and stop a bit quicker.It's like the Dampening factor is higher.
    2) Warm, The SC-68 is a very warm and beautiful sounding receiver but this NAD setup I got is even more pleasing. It's not a radical difference like night and day, it's more subtle. Small things like comfort and balance with the mid range. It sounds like someone tweaked my crossovers.
    3) Clarity, this is something I felt the SC-68 did very well. Very revealing AVR and very comparable to the NAD setup. But the NAD seems to have just a and more balance in clarity. I can hear things a bit more on their own without having to listen for awhile into the music. I can hear it right away.
    4) Power, the NAD T977 amp is rated at 140 watts per channel all channels driven. The SC-68 is also rated at 140 Watts per channel. The difference is very small in power but yet I feel like the speakers seem to play what I send them more effortlessly. It's like a reserve that is just dying to spring into life.
    I'll be honest, before I took the T977 home, I was on the fence with not having 200 to more watts. But The T977 performs like it has 300+. It's not volume that is in question, it's the effortless sound I now have. I'm a bit taken by it's grace. Even with only 140 watts of power, I feel like I made a upgrade in this area. Not to mention the damn amp weighs in over 70 lbs and has a full fan system built in. It gets much warmer then the SC-68 ever did. Pioneer did many things right when they built the SC lines. They just got better and better. The SC-68 is an achievement in Receiver in AVR technology and I would be completely happy with it even after listening to the small differences going back to separates has made.
    I have not tried the SC-68 as a preamp with the NAD amp. I'm not really sure I want to now.
    FEATURES, this is where I feel I lost a lot. not to mention the T187 does not support front Height or Wide channels. I think thats stupid and I'm a bit not sure if I'm happy about that. I wanted to buy a pair of Gem XL's for heights but I never got around to it. With the NAD I can't add Heights but the Preamp is a card based platform so maybe NAD will release a Height and width output card.
    No Built in USB Dac so I need to get an external to play my computer music. This is one thing the SC-68 excelled at. Think about it, having a high quality built in USB DAC is magical IMO. It's what got me to upgrade from my SC-07 to the SC-68. It's so damn good to. This is an area I can't compare the NAD to the Pioneer as the High Rez music makes it a completely unfair compare. NAD has a few DAC's I'm looking at so I might go that way. Sony's new unit also looks very cool which is another consideration.
    NO BALANCED, is it needed? No but I wouldn't mind having balanced outputs. Currently it's dead silent but I have done some comparisons and felt that Balanced IC's are so much better then Single ended due to the ability to shield out noise. Even if you had entry level cables, you would have a very nice black back ground with no noise. Something I wish NAD would use.
    LOOKS, now this is where the Elite whips it's ****. The Elite is sexy even in it's worse look in 15 years. The NAD is Gray and as plain as Jane ever was. I personally don't think it's good looking gear and that does bother me some. I look at it and don't feel all warm and juicy like when I look at Pioneer Elite gear. If Pioneer offered a Preamp and Amp, I would return the NAD.
    I don't have that many hours on the NAD gear so I'm gonna run it for a week and then sit down and really listen again. Right now I'm saying it's a slightly upgrade from where. the SC-68 is that good.
    Some Pic's after I removed the SC-68 and installed the pre and amp.IMG_7215_zpse443a88d.jpg
    IMG_7219_zps36c96bc1.jpg
    IMG_7220_zps1ab95245.jpg

Thanks man, The NAD receiver you picked up is awesome and has the same sonic signature. I think you'll be very happy with it. I love NAD and the entire line.
    A friend of mine is a NAD dealer and thats where I get my NAD stuff from.
    Being married shouldn't stop you from owning what you want as long as it doesn't interfere with your household. If it was up to my wife , I would own a Bose system and never be able to upgrade from it. Her ideas and mine don't always gel and thats ok as long as she doesn't try to stop me from living my life.
    There is nothing I hate more then a women who tries to change me, make me her puppet and try to rule my life. Don't think for a minute mine didn't try I just put an end to it years and years ago. I do however allow her to dictate when I'm thinking of making stupid decisions, thats where she is better then me.
    I have owned that Salamander rack for probably now 15 years and it's still like new. I have had so many different systems in it over the years and I pull it out from the wall so many times I'm surprised it's not falling apart. But It's built very well and you can swap out parts as you want. They are great rack systems I just wish they where a few inches deeper.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Upstatemax wrote: »

You and half of AZ, lol.

My father has the NAD T787 and he LOVES it. Heavy as hell and sounds really, really nice.
    The T787 is a beast and very powerful. You can drive just about any speakers you want with it. I'd love to hear a full LSIM system on it.
    Dan
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    The T787 is a beast and very powerful. You can drive just about any speakers you want with it. I'd love to hear a full LSIM system on it.

It is one hell of a receiver. I had to install it all for him, needless to say, I had a sore back the next day...

One of the big draws for him was the modular design of the NAD. He likes the idea of being able to upgrade and not have to start from scratch. HDCP 2.2 was a BIG thing for my Dad, he was happy that they are giving the upgrade for free with the T787 once it's released.
  • Polk_e_Man
    Polk_e_Man Posts: 14
    Upstatemax wrote: »

You and half of AZ, lol.

My first NAD was a T763. I had that for a couple of years and then went on to the T163 and T973 (probably the best setup I've ever had in terms of power AND sound). Had to downsize when I moved, so then I purchased a NAD T744. Nice little receiver in its own right. Ended up selling that (see a recurring theme here?) and got a NAD T747, but issues with it clipping video led me to selling that and now I have the T757. Like I mentioned before it's not hooked up yet, but it will be soon to my Polk bookshelf speakers.

No, I'm not moving to NY, but within Arizona (again) due to a job relocation. I hear it's beautiful in up-state NY, though. I do miss seeing lakes, fall colors, and the like, but not the winters. You guys had a particularly brutal one this past winter. Brrrrrrr.
    HT Room: Preamp - NAD T757 | Amp - Emotiva UPA-500 | Mains - Polk RTi4 | CC - Polk CSi3 | Source - Harman/Kardon DVD48 | Blu-Ray- Oppo BDP-83 | Source - Denon DMD-1000 | Source - Denon DRS-810 | Source - Rega RP-1 | Video Source - Sony RDRGX7 | Video Source - JVC HM-DH30000U | TV - LG 42" LCD Flat Screen