4 Shot Controller Issue

Options
japjr
japjr Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Video Games
Hey,

Love the headset thus far and only two issues so far, one of those being the mic problem that is being sorted out. The next issue comes during game play. It has happened each time I have used the head set at least once. Once in Ryse, the next three times while playing Titanfall.

While playing, all of the sudden it makes a solid transformer noise like a freeze up on the sound and turns my controller off. Problem is, the controller is still on! The X1 acts as though my controller is disconnected though and will not work, thus I have to remove the back cover of the controller and pull the rechargeable battery out and put it back in, turning the controller back on. After that no problem. It seems to only happen once but just in case I leave the back of the controller off. It has not happened while watching TV or using Netflix as of yet.

I've completed the initial controller update. I have tried regular batteries, still the same thing.

Wasn't sure if anyone else had this problem up to this point as I could not find anything anywhere on the web and briefly looked over these forums as well. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
Post edited by japjr on

Comments

• nizzy1115
    nizzy1115 Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    Options
    mine does this as well. i wish we could get some answers beyond the mic issue. are these microsofts problem or faulty polk hardware?

mic issue, skipping/popping sound, and random freezing with a horribly loud sound.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    Here is a link that will allow you to receive the latest information, just provide your email address:

http://www.polkaudio.com/latest/4shotstatement

Regards, Ken
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for making us aware of this concern. The next time this happens could you change to a fresh controller battery and see if the problem persists? Or, if you don't have a second battery could you charge up your battery and see if the problem continues?
    Then let us know what you find.
    Regards, Ken
  • sframsden3
    sframsden3 Posts: 52
    edited March 2014
    Options
    This is definitely not specific to Polk headsets. I have had this happen while using Turtle Beaches as well.
  • Bamf
    Bamf Posts: 28
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I can confirm that these issues are not Polk specific. I currently am using my old Tritton's from my 360 because of the existing Polk mic issue and just last night while playing Titanfall, the controller decided to freeze up, yet the power light on the controller was still on. All audio ceased and I lost control of my Titan. A quick battery pull and controller power up brought everything back. This was the second time it happend in-game.

Also note, this issue wasn't happening PRIOR to the game controller software update and use of the new stereo adapter....thanks microsoft......
  • japjr
    edited March 2014
    Options
    It just happened for the first time in quit a while. I changed to fresh fully recharged batteries afterwards even though the one I had in was fully charged as well.

I think most of these guys are right, it's a software issue, not a polk hardware issue. Hope so at least, loving this thing so far other than the freezing up I've mentioned in this post!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks for posting your findings, it's appreciated.
  • Spinner458
    Spinner458 Posts: 2
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I just received my 4 Shots yesterday and love the sound quality from my Windows 8 phone with Beats Audio. I didn't have any issues with this device.

After I completed the software update, I tested the headset on COD Ghosts.

Other than the issues with the muffled voices, here are my observations, I hope this helps with your work with Microsoft to resolve these issues. All of these were observations while playing COD Ghosts.

Static and popping (I haven't been able to pinpoint when the static happens).

Sound cutting out. This is an odd issue because the sound seems to cut out when various game moments are happening, I definitely notice it randomly when calling one of my kill strikes. Of course keep in mind when these types of things happen the controller vibrates and this could be doing something to the connection to the headset. Along with this, is that I am used to talking with my quiet voice, but if I do that the mic doesn't pic up that I am talking and nobody hears me. When I speak loudly at first the mic seems to react to picking up my voice and then others can hear me with my normal voice. I checked my battery, it was at half. I fully charged it. Came back to the game and had to unplug the headset and plug back in to get sound. I didn't notice the game sound dropping but did still have problems with the mic. This session I checked the battery when I finished and it was only at 3/4. I will check this again next time I take the battery below a half.

Also, with the fully charged battery my controller froze while in my friends list. Not sure what that was about. My friend kept having issues with his game freezing. Neither of us have had freezing issues before and I have had the console update for a while because I was a beta tester.

Along with the above sound and battery issue, is that my battery drains very quickly. Normally, I could play a couple of hours and the battery still appeared full. With the headset plugged in I noticed the battery draining to 1/4 to half in a couple of hours of play.

The last thing I noticed was the balancing with the chat and the game sound. If I turn up the chat which allows me to hear my friends on their 4 Shot headset, then the game sound turns down. If I turn the game sound up, the chat will either completely go mute or turn so far down you cannot hear your friends.

I hope this helps.
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Spinner458 wrote: »
    I just received my 4 Shots yesterday and love the sound quality from my Windows 8 phone with Beats Audio. I didn't have any issues with this device.

After I completed the software update, I tested the headset on COD Ghosts.

Other than the issues with the muffled voices, here are my observations, I hope this helps with your work with Microsoft to resolve these issues. All of these were observations while playing COD Ghosts.

Static and popping (I haven't been able to pinpoint when the static happens).

Sound cutting out. This is an odd issue because the sound seems to cut out when various game moments are happening, I definitely notice it randomly when calling one of my kill strikes. Of course keep in mind when these types of things happen the controller vibrates and this could be doing something to the connection to the headset. Along with this, is that I am used to talking with my quiet voice, but if I do that the mic doesn't pic up that I am talking and nobody hears me. When I speak loudly at first the mic seems to react to picking up my voice and then others can hear me with my normal voice. I checked my battery, it was at half. I fully charged it. Came back to the game and had to unplug the headset and plug back in to get sound. I didn't notice the game sound dropping but did still have problems with the mic. This session I checked the battery when I finished and it was only at 3/4. I will check this again next time I take the battery below a half.

Also, with the fully charged battery my controller froze while in my friends list. Not sure what that was about. My friend kept having issues with his game freezing. Neither of us have had freezing issues before and I have had the console update for a while because I was a beta tester.

Along with the above sound and battery issue, is that my battery drains very quickly. Normally, I could play a couple of hours and the battery still appeared full. With the headset plugged in I noticed the battery draining to 1/4 to half in a couple of hours of play.

The last thing I noticed was the balancing with the chat and the game sound. If I turn up the chat which allows me to hear my friends on their 4 Shot headset, then the game sound turns down. If I turn the game sound up, the chat will either completely go mute or turn so far down you cannot hear your friends.

I hope this helps.

All of those issues are with the adapter, and will hopefully be fixed when the next update comes out (with the exception being the mic; we don't know when that will be fixed), and will happen with any headset plugged into the controller. The battery issue seems strange too, as I have used multiple headsets (including the Polks and some higher-impedance ones as well) and have seen very little difference in battery life. Some minor drop off is to be expected, though.

When I've had issues as bad as you sound like you did, I have found a hard-reset of my xboxone to usually fix it.
  • Spinner458
    Spinner458 Posts: 2
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I know it is the adapter and this is a Microsoft issue because this headset works fine with my other devices and is very clear with the mic. I was sharing my detailed experience for the Polk guys to share with MS.

As for the reboot, we both rebooted our X1s twice, holding over the X1 "button" until it shut off and then unplugging and plugging in after 15 or so seconds.

BTW, I love the headset and am not returning it. I have faith the Polk guys will get Microsoft to get this fixed!! :)
  • Ziggy2112
    Ziggy2112 Posts: 3
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I have the same issue. shockingly, since I mostly play shooters, I haven't been killed when this has happened.
    What do you mean, "I ain't kind"?
    I'm just not your kind.
  • jsaund30
    jsaund30 Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I noticed that my controller will stop working if I am close to an explosion, the sound in the headset will start to go in and out then my guy stops moving and I have to wait for my controller to reconnect. once it does my mic no longer works
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    Are you able to replace or recharge your controller's battery and see if the same thing happens?
    Regards, Ken
  • Sacrinis
    Sacrinis Posts: 41
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I have had the same issue with multiple day one edition controllers. It is the day one edition controllers I am almost sure of, I was under warranty with gamestop so they switched it out for a reg version and now I have 2 controllers that work fine. I have had a few disconnects but nothing major. I think it is a known problem with the chat adapter like the other 100 things and they will get fixed eventually i am sure, but just dont hold your breath.
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Sacrinis wrote: »
    I have had the same issue with multiple day one edition controllers. It is the day one edition controllers I am almost sure of, I was under warranty with gamestop so they switched it out for a reg version and now I have 2 controllers that work fine. I have had a few disconnects but nothing major. I think it is a known problem with the chat adapter like the other 100 things and they will get fixed eventually i am sure, but just dont hold your breath.

Its the adapter, not the day one controller. I have one and a titanfall controller, and they both act the same.
  • japjr
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Ken,

I have noticed after further use and over a better length of test time it does seem to happen when the battery is close to losing it's charge or "dying." Obviously that would make perfect sense and may not appear to be a hardware or software issue other than battery life which can be monitored easily!

Thanks for the continued updates.