What sub???

Options
SONYTHEATER
SONYTHEATER Posts: 27
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Ok hears the deal Im looking to buy a new sub soon and im lost for what to do. Im looking at eather the polk psw650,infinity IL120, or the sunfire True Subwoffer Junior. The only problem I have is no one around my area has these ava to demo so I have no idea how they sound. Ive heard great reviews about all of them but thats all Ive got to go on.I wont something that isnt muddy or boomey sounding I wont to get a good tight punchey sound,and I dont need to knock pictures off the will I just wont to move them around a little if ya know what I mean.
If it helps out Im useing a sony str-da5es receiver,polk cs400i center,rt55i fronts,rt55i front surrounds,and rt55i rear surrounds or rear centers. I use my system mainley for movies but I do play music on it from time to time so I wont something that sounds good with both.
Thanks for any suggustions:D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2001
    Options
    IMO, none of those would be a bad choice, but if it were me, and my budget would allow, I'd go with the Sunfire. The PSW650 has good output, but not much below 30Hz.

A CC near you should have the Polk and Infinity, as well as some Velodynes that might interest you.

Jason
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2001
    Options
    While I haven't done a test, something still makes me think Sunfire. At that price range I'd also consider two HSU subs. They're all over the net (E-bay) and are well reviewed. I'd also consider a DIY pair.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • SONYTHEATER
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I have been leaning towards the sunfire too but like I said before Ive never got to hear it,but every review Ive seen has been very good on all of the sunfire subs. As far as our local CC they dont carry the psw650 or the IL120, Ive heard the infinity IL100 and it sounds pretty good but I still wont to get just a little more kick. I wont to try to stay with a smaller sub just for the reason that Ive alaways heard a sub around 10" normally is more accurate and responsive than say a 12" or 15" sub, and like I said I dont need to knock any pictures off the walls, Just Move Them Around some.
    Thanks for your help.:D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I heard the next larger sunfire sub, not the jr. I'm not sure of the pictures because I didn't see any on the wall but it sure knocked my socks off. The salesman (one I trust) said all the sunfire subs had a great output and sounded similar.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Killer subs, amazing drivers.

Don't forget the Dayton kit Chris reviewed in another post, along with SVS. I demoed the SVS and the Sunfire True Sub, the SVS won hands down. Not knocking the Sunfire at all, but the SVS went deeper, at much higher spl's than the Sunfire. Bass you FEEL my brotha. No need for 'bass shakers' here.

Check out the Montior Audio ASW subs also, very impressive.

End of the year, lots of 'deals' going on, call around to your local hifi shops, see if they have any open box or demo specials.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I'd also vouch for SVS. I got the 20-39PC a month ago and it is awesome, a great complement to my Monitor 7Cs -- exceptionally clean, tight and powerful. A BEAST. I suspect I run a greater risk of causing structural damage to the listening room than bumping up against any limits of the SVS.

Got mine b-stock from http://www.svsubwoofers.com, $655 (reg. $749) + only $13 for shipping. No cosmetic or other problems (I did start hearing a rattling noise in there last week but solved that by tightening a loose screw on the inboard amp). No b-stocks on their site at the moment, though.

good luck

p.s. not to come off as an ad for SVS, but on their site they have a review specifically of a double-blind test comparing the SVS 20-39PC and the Sunfire Signature. http://www.svsubwoofers.com/Sunfiresigcustcomparo.htm
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
  • SONYTHEATER
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Well I just gotta say I went to Indy today and got to hear the subwoffer jr at Pro Audio and I was impressed for such a small sub. Ive never heard much of the SVS subs but I did go to their website and to take a look, the only thing Im not to big on is there size,(man are those things tall) Im not sure if Id wont a sub quite that big. On the other hand Ive seen alot of people in here talking about them, are they realy that nice? For what Ive read they sound pretty impressive and I alaways like to save money if I can. thanks again.:D
  • phd500
    phd500 Posts: 75
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Hey man I know how ya feel. I too had a very hard time finding a subwoofer. Until I saw a Polk PSW1200 at crutchfield for $700.00 dollars, I just hoped it would do the job better than the subs at CC and Best Buy. I was very happy, its big but its loud and very acurate. If you can find one buy it. About the Sunfire, I too thought of buying it but I couldn't find one anywhere. Finally after I had my Polk for about 6 months I finally got the chance to try one out. Me and some friends drove 2 and a half hours to a shop that had it. They had the 10" version hooked to a carver sunfire signiture preamp with trubutaries cables with B&W speakers. I tryed movies, bass cd's, music cd with good bass drums and so on. It just didn't go loud or very deep. I was extreamly disapointed in it and very glad I bought my Polk. The PSW1200 is cheaper and has allot better sound quallity. In my oppinion it sucked big. I listened to a Carver sub with a single 8" driver and it sounded much better plus it was cheaper. O aother sub I hear nothing but good about is the Bag end infrasub, it has and 18" driver that is reviewed as very acurate and deep. Suposidly as acurate as a high quality 8incher. Its like $700.00. Can't remember where to buy it tough, I write another post if I rememer. I hope this helps you out some, just be carfule what you buy and don't let anyone sucker you into buying somthing crapy. Good luck, and happy listening:)
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Audio Advisor carries this sub (www.audioadvisor.com)

Aaron
  • mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited January 2002
    Options
    The other night my wife and I were watching a rerun of The Sopranos, with the audio coming through the fronts & sub (I don't have surround speakers yet). It all sounded great until a scene inside the Soprano household when suddenly we hear very loud and not very good bass guitar. I thought to myself, "uh-oh, gonna have to get off my butt and turn the sub down a notch." Tony Soprano's brow was furrowed. The bass was clean (if not well-played), just loud as hell. Then the scene shifted to Meadow Soprano hanging out in the house with her friend Eric, who was playing ... bass guitar, very loud and not very well. I had to laugh ... the SVS reproduced it PERFECTLY. No adjustment required
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
  • tjweeks
    tjweeks Posts: 6
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I also have an SVS 20/39PC and it is awesome. I have not heard any subs under $2000 that even come close. Bass on dvd movies is thunderous (you can actually feel the sonic waves hitting you in the chest), the floor jumps under your feet. Yet, as soon as the action stops the SVS stops (very quick response time). I took a chance and bought this sight unseen (and unheard) and have been very happy with it.