Now that the Air is Cleared. Updates on the Patch

Options
2»

Comments

• shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Unfortunately, there's no smacking of MS happening, unless it's mass public backlash. They're the1000 lb gorilla in the room, and they play nice when they want.

That said, I'm sure they're seriously working on this. They are in a major PR battle on all fronts, so they know they can't take forever with this. But, firmware update just don't happen overnight.

I personally not only welcome the boom mic, but I would have bought these anyways if they were created as such and without the drop down mic. If I'm going to use these outside of my living room, I'm not going to need a mic anyways.
  • Daunting
    Daunting Posts: 21
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Is there any way to join the xbox one beta?
  • regnaston
    regnaston Posts: 38
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Daunting wrote: »
    Is there any way to join the xbox one beta?

You had to apply for it a few weeks back. I am not sure if it is still open. I can inquire and let you know

edit: I can still request it.. no guarantees.. but give me your gamertag and I will submit it
  • Daunting
    edited March 2014
    Options
    regnaston wrote: »
    You had to apply for it a few weeks back. I am not sure if it is still open. I can inquire and let you know

edit: I can still request it.. no guarantees.. but give me your gamertag and I will submit it

My gamer tag is Daunting. Had xbox live for over 10 years.

Thx
  • Daunting
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Austacker, to test with your phone you need to use the straight cable. The phone cable disables the near field mic.
  • RobMitch
    RobMitch Posts: 23
    edited March 2014
    Options
    regnaston wrote: »

Can you try for me aswell I was a beta tester for the 360 dashboard my gamer tag is Nffc Robbo
  • Blankman
    Blankman Posts: 51
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Austacker, to test with your phone you need to use the straight cable. The phone cable disables the near field mic.
    That is correct. The voice fidelity is clear & audible even with the straight audio cable.
  • Austacker
    Austacker Posts: 54
    edited March 2014
    Options

Yep, this is what I did and like I said, I was very surprised at the result. Try it yourself, the mic gain is perfectly fine on a phone and the voice is clear.

It gave me enough personal reassurance to sit tight on my purchase and wait for Microsoft to pull their finger out.

But that said, I still cannot at this stage recommend this as a gaming headset until such time it's fixed. I'll use the boom mic as an interem solution when it gets shipped, but it's not at all my preferred option and I'd rather just have the basic headset properly supported by Microsoft.

The delay however is very frustrating. I took a gamble of being an early adopter of a product untested and paid the price for being so eager.

It doesn't matter who's at fault anymore, all that matters is that I have a $220 headset sitting on the shelf right now gathering dust whilst I use a Turtlebeach headset 1/4 the price just to have decent chat functionality on Xbox.

And in anyone's language, that's a crummy situation to be in.

Just hoping they fix this soon. I can't imagine how much this is costing Polk in lost sales... but I know it's going to be a lot.
  • shepx2
    edited March 2014
    Options
    What headset from Polk was $220?
  • Daunting
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I just bought mine yesterday. They have been hard to find locally & sell quickly. I think they are only getting small shipments. Local Best Buys had pallets of turtle beaches, but didn't like the design.

They sound a lot better than the cheap pair of turtle beaches i had.
  • sframsden3
    sframsden3 Posts: 52
    edited March 2014
    Options
    shepx2 wrote: »

The regular price for the Melee was $199... So that, plus tax could equal $220.

Granted, I waited until the price dipped on Amazon to purchase mine, but I am sure people also paid full price.
  • shepx2
    edited March 2014
    Options
    sframsden3 wrote: »
    The regular price for the Melee was $199... So that, plus tax could equal $220.

Granted, I waited until the price dipped on Amazon to purchase mine, but I am sure people also paid full price.

Yea, I guess I didn't think about that. I really like the Melee, but it's not worth $200, even with all the adapters is comes with
  • GAMEPHRENIC GOD
    GAMEPHRENIC GOD Posts: 53
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Just finished my Registration.
  • TangentialShark
    TangentialShark Posts: 11
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Will the boom mic work if my retractable mic is already defective? The mic has been muffled since I purchased them about a month ago, but today they just don't even work at all. Will the boom mic enable to speak with my friends regardless?
  • shepx2
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Will the boom mic work if my retractable mic is already defective? The mic has been muffled since I purchased them about a month ago, but today they just don't even work at all. Will the boom mic enable to speak with my friends regardless?

Yes, it's a separate mic. It will act like the V moda boom mic you can buy separate. And you'll be able to use it on any headphone that has a standard 3.5mm cable jack
  • TangentialShark
    edited March 2014
    Options
    That's great to hear! Do you recommend I ask for a refund due to the mic not working or that I simply use the boom mic and let it go? By the way, I have Melee and not a 4SHOT.
  • Blankman
    Blankman Posts: 51
    edited March 2014
    Options
    That's great to hear! Do you recommend I ask for a refund due to the mic not working or that I simply use the boom mic and let it go? By the way, I have Melee and not a 4SHOT.
    FYI: There's nothing wrong with the mic hardware. There's a software problem in the controller/audio firmware from MS. Polk is providing the mic boom (free of charge) as a solution until MS fixes and releases the patch addressing the mic gain issues that have affected numerous headset brands. In addition, the Melee headset is the same exact build as the 4 Shot. The only difference between the two is that the Melee has extra accessories that make it backwards compatible to the 360 such as a DSP, optical cable, and audio mixer.
  • TangentialShark
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I know about the problems with the retractable mic and how they produce a low volume/muffled sound to others when speaking. Mine on the other hand produces NO sound when I speak. No one can hear me at all.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    It sounds as though something has become defective. Call Polk CS tomorrow at 1-800-377-7655 and they'll take care of you.
    Regards, Ken
  • Austacker
    Austacker Posts: 54
    edited March 2014
    Options
    shepx2 wrote: »

Bought in Australia.

https://www.ebgames.com.au/xbox-one-164022-Polk-4-Shot-Black-Xbox-One-Headset-Xbox-One

It's sitting on the shelf gathering dust atm at my place.

Instead, I'm currently using this :

https://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-159054-Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-Z11-Headset-PC

Audio is not as good nor is it as comfy, but at least I can talk with friends on Xbox live and they can hear me fine.
  • RobMitch
    RobMitch Posts: 23
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Austacker wrote: »
    Bought in Australia.

https://www.ebgames.com.au/xbox-one-164022-Polk-4-Shot-Black-Xbox-One-Headset-Xbox-One

It's sitting on the shelf gathering dust atm at my place.

Instead, I'm currently using this :

https://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-159054-Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-Z11-Headset-PC

Audio is not as good nor is it as comfy, but at least I can talk with friends on Xbox live and they can hear me fine.

I'm stuck with the headset you get with the console and to make it worse i have to plug it in and unplug stupid amount of times to get it to work.