Merry Christmas... any new Polks or what???

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Merry Christmas to all. Anyone get any new Polks for Christmas? So what did you get? I'll start the list here:

*no new Polks for me.
*brush guard and lights for my ZR-2 Blazer
*gloves
*gift certificate for Best Buy
*Screw driver set
*3 shirts
*jacket
*boots
*kitchen knife set

madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited December 2001
    Options
    adidas cologne
    electric razor
    $100 worth of gift cards from best buy
    playboy mag. from sister in law.....hummmmm!!
    novelty clock

our 3 year old daughter recieved more toys them toys-are-us sells in a year!!

scott:cool:
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    no speakers of any kind

component rack
    Carver m0.5t (tres chic)
    couple golf shirts / shorts
    underwear (out with the old, in with the new)
    Polo Sport cologne
    socket set
    50 bucks at Best Buy.

pretty good haul this year!

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2001
    Options
    - 3 shirts
    - 4 CD's
    - lots 'o $$$

Troy, did Wendi build you a flexy? What a woman! ;)

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    yes she is, but no, she bought me one.

I was actually more impressed by her buying the Carver to be honest.

So, did you score enough for those Maggies ??

Troy
  • mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Family bought me clothes, music, books, fishing lures, coffee beans, etc ... I bought myself an Outlaw 1050 and now am looking for any good post-holiday deals on the CS400i and cherry-flavored RT35i (for rears).
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
  • ducati
    ducati Posts: 13
    edited December 2001
    Options
    GameCube! Yes, I am a kid at heart... And my wife let me indulge in my StarWars interest this Christmas :) Man, that game is awesome..

We always buy something audio related for Christmas, so I bought my wife a Velodyne VLF-810 and Denon 1802 to finish up our little home theatre.. Nothing else yet; although she did let me bring home a McCormack DNA-125 for a home trial over Christmas weekend. I liked it alot (understatement) so perhaps we'll buy it as a late Christmas gift this year.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2001
    Options
    * Premium annual pass for Disneyland and CA. Adventure.
    * Bosch 3/4" corded hammer drill
    * Best Buy gift card
    * Moulin Rouge sound track CD
    * Shirt
    * Misc hand tools
    * Borders gift card
    * Linkin Park CD

Guess Santa thought I was a good boy this past year:confused:

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2001
    Options
    yes she is, but no, she bought me one.
    Did she get you the Salamander Architype rack? That's the only "flexy-style" rack that I've seen for sale. It looks to me like the flexy idea was stolen from this rack. Just curious.
    So, did you score enough for those Maggies ??
    Unfortunately, no. My birthday is only a month away, so that will aid the cause. I'm actually having second thoughts about the purchase. I'm just not sure if I want to drop more money on speakers (at this point) when I really don't need them. The other problem is if I get them, I'll be ready to go buy new separates, too. And then a CD player.....you get the idea. Priorities, priorities....ugh.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    What a dumbass I am, I typed flexy because for some reason I was thinking about them. No it is just a pretty standard 5 shelf audio rack but much improvement over the old, very crappy cabinet.

It's funny you should mention that.....Last night I was thinking as I was checking out the new amp, I am probably going to put new speakers on the back burner for now. Essentially, what i want, I can't afford and Wendi would really **** a brick. I am going to eventually convert a spare room to a 2ch stereo room but that is not happening for a while. In the meantime, I am going to concentrate on power sources. I really want to convert to purely separates in the next year. I am pretty excited about the new Outlaw A/V preamp and for 900, I could probably swing that and another 2 ch amp for the rears.

Troy
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I got a Blender and Food Processor all in one...The Blender and Food Processor part are interchangeable...
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Hey guys

I got a Carver TFM-35 for Christmas, but I had to buy it myself. I haven't had a chance to play with it much due to all the toys, company, etc..

Jason
  • arguicha
    arguicha Posts: 3
    edited December 2001
    Options
    As far as Polk stuff goes, I got the CS400i, I am looking forward to getting back to school to play with it (all my HT stuff is at my apt at college). I heard it in the store and it sounded great.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I got cs245i, rt15i and rt25i to replace the Bose system in the living room. I will sell the Bose to a sucker on ebay. Shhhhhhh!
    Those rt25i's are pretty impressive.
    My Birthday is new years eve and I am partying in Las Vegas this year. Ya Baby! Girlfriend is cutting me loss for that day. Oh Ya!!! :D
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    Options
    well, half of you getting best buy GC's explains it, went there yesterday. it was mobbed!!! lines were half way through the damn CD aisles, couldn't even look at CD's with some a-hole glaring at you, like you're cutting in line...

sorry, had to vent....

didn't get anything speaker related at all! did get goonies DVD and shaun palmer for the PS2!!!
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I went to BB yesterday and holy schnikeys! What a zoo! I expected it to be that way so I wasn't too p.o.'d. Besides, I really needed a Y-adapter cable for the new amp.

Troy
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    Options
    did you actually wait in a horendous line??? i went to get extender cables for my PS2 so my lazy **** can sit on the couch rather than the floor. i wasn't about to wait 20-30 minutes in line, so i got them at EB in the mall right next door....maybe your lines weren't AS bad though...
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I was behind a trio of late teen hotties in line though, so that made the time pass more pleasantly. Also, Wendi and my sister were in some friggin craft store stocking up on wrapping paper and crap for next year. Considering the alternatives, I am not complaining. Besides, I was really jonesing to hook up that amp.

Troy
  • Manwh0re
    Manwh0re Posts: 6
    edited December 2001
    Options
    set of POLK EX365 6 1/2 Coaxials :D
  • hlalanne
    hlalanne Posts: 183
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Polk 2000i speakers
    1 midieval sword with dagger
    3 shirts
    1 Taz phone {don't ask}

over all a good x-mas :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Wooden Delight Theater

9/11
    NEVER Forget !!!
  • whiteboyatcal
    whiteboyatcal Posts: 1
    edited December 2001
    Options
    As a converted car audio junkie, I asked everyone for home audio stuff this Christmas. Here's what I got:

Harman Kardon AVR-320 reciever - from the g/f (she owns me)
    Polk RT-25i's - from the parents
    Monster Cable speaker wire spool - from the bro
    Kimber Cable Interconnects - money from the grandparents

Not bad for an otherwise broke 20-year-old college kid...
  • Darkrobe
    Darkrobe Posts: 3
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Well, we didn't get each other much as we are going on the Disney Cruise in two weeks :)
    But...
    we did splurge on a 53" Sony KP-53HS30 TV, Sony STR-DE1075 (at 40% off!), and Polk RM-6000. I am disappointed in the system setup though. The salesman didn't tell us that the subwoofer has the Low Frequency filter in it and it uses the two main front outputs from the receiver to do this. Polk's manual for the system says not to put the direct subwoofer inputs into the sub and bypass the filter as it degrades the subwoofer response.
    I would return the system personally, but the restocking charge is stupid on this thing and to get a different setup is really cost prohibitive. Well, save up for next year and get a better speaker system I guess.
    Professional Mobile DJ
    www.questsend.ca
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Hi
    I'm just curious if you're disappointed with the performance of the system, or if you just don't like the hookup?

I'm not real familiar with that system, but I'm sure there's a performance-related reason for the recommended hook-up method.

Most of the time, with these smaller sub/sat systems, the crossover frequency is critical, due to the limited range of the small satellites. The goal is to allow the sub to receive a full range signal, and cross over at the proper frequency for the satellites to take over. The way that different receivers handle the "sub out" filtering throws too many variables into the mix, and would probably compromise performance.

That's my take on why Polk tells you to hook it up a certain way. There might be other hook-up options that would work, however. It might be worth a call to Customer Service to find out.

Jason
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    by not using the sub out on the reciever you are bypassing the filter on the reciever. Theoretically, you can use the sub out if you like but I think the results are better following the Polk manual. Trust me, by following the Polk directions you aren't missing out on any bass signals.

Troy
  • Darkrobe
    Darkrobe Posts: 3
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Troy/Jason:
    In answer to your replies, here are the answers :)
    The bass response of the subwoofer filter is from 40Hz to 180Hz and is user adjustable from 80Hz to 160Hz. The sub response isn't the main problem that bugs me. It is the fact when you setup the system that you essentially have a phantom subwoofer system. Polk realizes this fact in the manual, though the thing that ticks me off is that the salesman didn't tell me how this was setup. Overall, the speaker system is pretty good and sounds great in our living room, which is not that big (28'L x 16'W). The other fact is that in all your DVD/RX components, you have to setup the subwoofer elements as not having one. You miss out on the customization of those features for this one component.
    Don't forget too that the THD% is now increased too by going through another filtering system.
    Just one of those things you have to put up with. The restocking charge is 15% (the system cost $400USD/$600CDN), so next year I'll just go get my THX speakers and better sub and put the Polk's in our bedroom :)
    Professional Mobile DJ
    www.questsend.ca
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Are you thinking that you are missing out on the bass signal? In a conventional setup, if you set the subwoofer to off, the bass signals are redirected to the front speakers. You aren't loosing them at all, they are just redirected. In using the sub/sat setup, you are bypassing the low freq. filter in the reciever and sending the full range signal to the sub and then adjusting the crossover to where it sounds best. Also, your THD% I doubt still approach an audible level. This is how a sub/sat system is designed as the satellites aren't or never were intended to be a full range speaker. This is how I understand it to work, I'm sure if you contact polk customer service they can explain it much better than I.
    It sounds to me like your salesman did a poor job explaining how the system was intended to be used.

check this out:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=bassmanage

Troy
  • brush
    brush Posts: 3
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Was pretty excited this year as I received a pair of 35i's! They sound better at home than they did in the store!! It was a gift for myself but the impressive thing was the price...$240 for the pair out the door!! It pays to know people.:D