Bought my daughter her first headphones!

Options
zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited March 2014 in Headphones
I found this neat pair of Nakamichi headphones for kids, that have a manual volume control on cup to prevent listening that's too loud; she's 3 1/2 so I figured it was about time. We are doing quite a few road trips this summer, so these will help with the iPad and the Disney movies. I'm not expecting the world out of them, but they seem better than average for what they are, and I really liked the manual volume adjustment. The MSRP on them is around $60, so they should be a pretty decent pair of kids headphones...

$_57.JPG
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• zingo
    edited March 2014
    Options
  • Zentish
    Zentish Posts: 127
    edited March 2014
    Options
    The volume control only goes to five?!?! SHEESH!

Kidding aside, those are cute and do look sturdy!
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-NR929 7.1 AVR 130wpc
    Mains: 2x Polk RTA 8TL's
    Center: Polk CS245i
    Surrounds: 2x Klipsch RS-41ii (because they fit perfectly over the door and window)
    Rear Surr: 2x Polk M4a '90
    Subwoofer: Speakerlab DAS-SW dual-voice-coil 10" '88 30Hz-150Hz
    Subwoofer Amp: ONKYO A-8019 AMP '85 100wpc
    Display: Samsung 55" UNC55-8000 3D LED
    Console: Xbox360
    DVR: custom MythTV rig w/ 3 tuners OTA
    Zone2: 2x Polk M5b '87
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Those look pretty kid friendly. Biggest problem we have is the kids ripping the cord out of the ear cup. I wish they'd make some cheap headphones with a detachable cord. We usually get something from 5 Below for cheap so were not out much when they trash them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    edited March 2014
    Options
    What?....DID YOU SAY SOMething.....sorry had the headphones on.
  • zingo
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Zentish wrote: »
    The volume control only goes to five?!?! SHEESH!

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg
  • AeR0
    AeR0 Posts: 102
    edited March 2014
    Options
    awesome headphones for kids! glad to see they are the volume limiting ones!

great choice and props toyou for making your childrens hearing safe!
  • zingo
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks. I was really worried about that as she'll grow up in the MP3 generation, and I want her to protect her hearing like I've protected mine.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    edited March 2014
    Options
    3 and a half??? Way to go Zingo, by four she'll be an audiophile and won't be happy with your set up and be pushing you to upgrade at every corner :cheesygrin:

Dude, that's cool, LOVE the colors. My 5 1/2 daughter has Hello Kitty headphones and has offered them to me many times while I was searching for a pair of cans for myself. After I got my Grado's, I let her use them to watch "Finding Nemo", she kept saying, Papa, these are so good, you should watch my movie with them.........

Yes, I've ruined her (according to mom :)), she loves my subs more than me I think. When I upgraded to my A9's, she was hugging them as I unboxed them lol. Here's a pic of her posing next to my set up just before my upgrade;

P1020593.jpg

Posing next to the 9's;

20130915_212300_zpsd59b06c1.jpg
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2014
    Options
    ^^^^Geoff can she mark her growth by marking the sides of your speakers

Cute...
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    edited March 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Looks like my kid's pair, except his are completely blue.

Need to get the boy a girlfriend....:wink:
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2014
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ^^^^Geoff can she mark her growth by marking the sides of your speakers

Cute...

Lol, she would if I let her. She's jazzed right now about going to TX for the first time. First plane ride as well. She likes her steak med rare like me, we plan on tearing it up, Taco cabana and some meskin taco shops, Whataburger, yeah, it's always at least 5lbs gained in a week when I go home, I hope I can keep it to 5 this time, I fear I'll gain close to 10lbs it's been so long since I've been home!!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • zingo
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Got the cans in the mail today and the sound quality is decent; although recessed and flat. However, build quality seems good, ear pads should be very comfortable, and the exterior volume control is a pot that goes from full signal to zero. The cables isn't detachable, but does have a cloth jacket which should provide good wear. My daughter will be very excited about them when I get home, and I don't have to worry "too much" about them being too loud.

Success!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2014
    Options
    ^^^^Picks of you wearing them or it didn't happen

But we'll settle for the cute kid pic too.... :-)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • zingo
    edited March 2014
    Options
    As soon as I put them on her and the music started, she had a huge smile! We tried them with my phone, and with her music player (pictured) and both worked well. We are driving five hours to see her great grandparents new weekend, so they should do very well in the car.

photo.JPG
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2014
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    As soon as I put them on her and the music started, she had a huge smile! We tried them with my phone, and with her music player (pictured) and both worked well. We are driving five hours to see her great grandparents new weekend, so they should do very well in the car.

photo.JPG

Now that is one happy camper, soon to be one happy traveler!!

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited March 2014
    Options
    My wife tasked me this morning with finding a set of headphones for our three year old daughter prior to their trip to Indonesia in a couple of weeks.

WUUUVVVV this forum! :)
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Twenty bucks does look better than sixty bucks for a three year old! At least for mine...
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • zingo
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I bought the same open box deal and the headphones themselves were in great shape. They seem to be sturdy enough to handle a little abuse; definitively more than your average $20 pair of headphones.
  • zingo
    edited March 2014
    Options
    The road-trip went well and the headphones were a success! Due to the fact that they are high impedance, and have a built in volume control, when both they and the iPad are turned all the way up, I would consider the volume moderate. I'm sure she has more sensitive ears than I do, but I would be wanting a little more gain out of them if I was using them in a noisy environment. I know that's not a big deal, she likes them fine, and it's more important to protect her ears, but most likely the volume on tablet/phone will need to be a full to get a listenable level with the Nakamichi kids headphones. Still highly recommended!

IMG_1411.JPG