popping and cracking

Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I was watching TV last night on a digital channel (I think), and it was a very quiet channel so I had to turn the volume up pretty far. After a half hour of viewing or so I started to get some pops and cracks from my left speaker (I think it was only that speaker) every few minutes. After several of thee incidents I thought maybe the DVD player was creating a heat dissipation problem for my digital cable box (as mentioned in a previous post). It was actually pretty hot. After I took the DVD player off the digital box the speaker only cracked one more time. So, my guess is that the heat buildup somehow affected the signal being sent to my receiver. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and does my explanation sound reasonable? Thanks!

Aaron

P.S. I think I'm going to make a way to put my DVD player below the digital cable box.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited July 2001
    Hey Aaron
    Even with nothing on top those boxes get hot. I did not have poping directly from my speakers but from recordings I made. The heat caused popping in the tape after about 10-15 min. never knew exactly why but moving the heat source stopped the popping.
    Do you get chanels in 5.1 with DTV? If you go to the ‘Dolby’ site they tell you all the shows in DD 5.1. There must be at least 75 shows, even ‘Northern Exposure’(sp?) reruns are in 5.1. Its not expensive for the provider to change to 5.1 but mine still won't. It's just a quick change to their head unit according to Dolby, most boxes are aready setup for 5.1. It sucks when 20 miles up the road my friends get it and I don't here. Anyway moving your CD player will be sure fix(99% sure).
    later man
    Chris
    Chris :)