Polk Melee Problems

regnaston
regnaston Posts: 38
edited June 2014 in Video Games
So I just bought the Melee yesterday and I have a couple issues two may be fixable one may not be

First the fixable ones;

1. people are complaining in Xbox games online that I sound like I am far away.
2. the Dolby mixer (not sure what it is called). When I choose the Forza mode, it goes yellow, which indicates it is in Stereo (is the Forza tuning Stereo?)

Now the unfixable one; the headsets seem to squeeze my head, no matter how much I adjust the headset length

The sound on the Melee is amazing but chat is an important feature for me in games so hopefully this can be fixed

Also, I find Polk's social media presence kind of non responsive. They will occassionally respond on facebook and never on twitter. And their tech support (phone) while good, they take forever to answer their phones (on hold two days in a row for 5+ minutes)
Post edited by regnaston on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited February 2014
    I have sent your inquiry to Kim Jasper the head of Polk Customer Service. Thanks for posting.
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    I called polk and they answered right away. The guy suggested returning it and getting a new one.

I did that and the one guy I played with said I sounded fine.

As for the non dolby on the Forza mode, the tech said it depends on the signal it is getting.

I will check with the friends who said I sounded distant and see what they say (maybe the guy I played with is more tolerant of the sound lol )
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited February 2014
    Okay great. Let us know how you make out.
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    So update on this. My friends say I sound better on this new headset then on the first set, but still sound like I am far away when I talk. I think this is due to the placement of the mic and it not being sensitive enough to pick up voice. While the sound sounds great, I will probably be returning these to get the Turtlebeack XO Four or XO Seven's...chat is very important to me in games (as I mainly play online)
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited February 2014
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    I also dont like the fact that they dont feed some of my voice back through the headset. I never know how loud I am talking
  • Blankman
    Blankman Posts: 51
    edited February 2014
    regnaston wrote: »
    I also dont like the fact that they dont feed some of my voice back through the headset. I never know how loud I am talking
    I agree, but that's a feature that Turtle Beach has (chat volume mix). It's a shame that not many headset makers employ that feature because it's very useful.
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    I returned the Polk's and picked up X42's only to discover that Turtle Beach's offer of a free adapter ended on Jan 31. LOL going to return these and get the XO Fours instead (when they are released)
  • Blankman
    edited February 2014
    I returned the Polk's and picked up X42's only to discover that Turtle Beach's offer of a free adapter ended on Jan 31. LOL going to return these and get the XO Fours instead (when they are released)
    It's a shame that you returned the Polk headset without giving the headset adapter a try. I'll be testing it out when I receive the adapter. I hope the mic issue will be resolved with it. Fingers crossed.
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    Blankman wrote: »
    It's a shame that you returned the Polk headset without giving the headset adapter a try. I'll be testing it out when I receive the adapter. I hope the mic issue will be resolved with it. Fingers crossed.

The problems I was experiencing was on the 360 with the polk wiring. It was due the mic placement/design not the adapter
  • Blankman
    edited February 2014
    The problems I was experiencing was on the 360 with the polk wiring. It was due the mic placement/design not the adapter
    I would have thought that you'd give the wireless headset adapter a shot to test the mic fidelity before returning your headset. You had thirty days to return it to Best Buy, right?
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    I would have thought that you'd give the wireless headset adapter a shot to test the mic fidelity before returning your headset. You had thirty days to return it to Best Buy, right?

yes Best Buy

I actually had a chat adapter I made from the headset that came with the XB1 and the problem was still there.

Seeing as there was an issue though on the 360 using all the stuff that came with it, I dont think the problem is with a firmware or the adapter, but with the design and mic placement
  • GAMEPHRENIC GOD
    GAMEPHRENIC GOD Posts: 53
    edited February 2014
    You were to impatient to waite, but soddered it, to make it work. So many people did that. You should have just waited. Because, otherwise your review is weak.

yes Best Buy

I actually had a chat adapter I made from the headset that came with the XB1 and the problem was still there.

Seeing as there was an issue though on the 360 using all the stuff that came with it, I dont think the problem is with a firmware or the adapter, but with the design and mic placement
  • GAMEPHRENIC GOD
    GAMEPHRENIC GOD Posts: 53
    edited February 2014
    Plus, XBoxone is Doing a overall update. You do not think, chat was a main function for that update.

So update on this. My friends say I sound better on this new headset then on the first set, but still sound like I am far away when I talk. I think this is due to the placement of the mic and it not being sensitive enough to pick up voice. While the sound sounds great, I will probably be returning these to get the Turtlebeack XO Four or XO Seven's...chat is very important to me in games (as I mainly play online)
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    You were to impatient to waite, but soddered it, to make it work. So many people did that. You should have just waited. Because, otherwise your review is weak.

My review is not on the functionality of the headphones with the chat adapter I made, but the headphones with the 360 adapter/wiring that came with the Melee.

If the chat volume is crap on the provided wiring on the 360, it would not have improved the chat volume on the other adapter. It is NOT about the adapters, but the placement of the mic. (it is too far from your mouth)

So my review is not "weak" as you say, it is based on the actual product being used on the system it is designed for. I wanted these headsets to work, because I liked the audio from them. I liked the looks... I just can not accept when every friend I played with said I sounded far away
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    Plus, XBoxone is Doing a overall update. You do not think, chat was a main function for that update.

has nothing to do with Xbox updates. (which I am beta testing by the way). It has everything to do with the placement of the mic.
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited February 2014
    I'm really concerned about the mic in these. I got my Melees last night, and while they sound great, I can't live with a subpar microphone.
    One of my friends modified his xboxone headset adapter so he could use these now, and it was really hard to hear him. I had hoped it was because of the homemade adapter, but this apparently is a design flaw. And if this really turns out to be the case, I'll be extremely disappointed as I expect more from Polk.

Polk Reps, what will you be doing to address this issue?
  • sframsden3
    sframsden3 Posts: 52
    edited February 2014
    I'm not sure there is anything they CAN do unless they have a way to somehow enhance the microphone pickup via a software update (heck, I don't even know if there is a way to update these headsets after the fact).

This info is a little off-putting and when I get my Melee's tomorrow I will be testing them out. If I also have this problem I will most definitely be returning them and just sticking with Turtle Beaches... I really hope the Polk's fulfill my needs, as I really do hate the look of the boom mics on the current headsets out there.
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited February 2014
    sframsden3 wrote: »
    I'm not sure there is anything they CAN do unless they have a way to somehow enhance the microphone pickup via a software update (heck, I don't even know if there is a way to update these headsets after the fact).

This info is a little off-putting and when I get my Melee's tomorrow I will be testing them out. If I also have this problem I will most definitely be returning them and just sticking with Turtle Beaches... I really hope the Polk's fulfill my needs, as I really do hate the look of the boom mics on the current headsets out there.

They could issue a recall and replace the mics with a more sensitive unit if that's the problem.
  • sframsden3
    edited February 2014
    shepx2 wrote: »
    They could issue a recall and replace the mics with a more sensitive unit if that's the problem.

I guess that would be an option. Let's hope it doesn't come to that and they could somehow figure it out via software/firmware, unlikely though...
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited February 2014
    shepx2 wrote: »
    I'm really concerned about the mic in these. I got my Melees last night, and while they sound great, I can't live with a subpar microphone.
    One of my friends modified his xboxone headset adapter so he could use these now, and it was really hard to hear him. I had hoped it was because of the homemade adapter, but this apparently is a design flaw. And if this really turns out to be the case, I'll be extremely disappointed as I expect more from Polk.

Polk Reps, what will you be doing to address this issue?

Just to let you know, your friend also used his modified chat adapter with his old plantronics xbox360 headset and you guys said it sounded much clearer than the Melee's.
  • Blankman
    edited February 2014
    If you are part of the Xbox Preview Beta, updating the firmware of the controller is required for the incoming headset adapter. Right now, third part mods are not supported because the firmware wasn't in place then. This might help alleviate the issue with the mic sensitivity of the Melee/4 Shot.
  • sframsden3
    edited February 2014
    If you are part of the Xbox Preview Beta, updating the firmware of the controller is required for the incoming headset adapter. Right now, third part mods are not supported because the firmware wasn't in place then. This might help alleviate the issue with the mic sensitivity of the Melee/4 Shot.

Well I have the Melee headset on a truck for delivery now. I also went to the Microsoft Store and picked up their XBox One Stereo Headset for two reasons:

1) For the headset adapter
    2) To compare to the Polk Melee

I will return whichever one I am not happy with. I plan on testing them out today once the Melee comes in. I was actually surprised by the XBox Stereo Headset, especially for it being $80. Hopefully the Melee's can compete, only time will tell. I am part of the update preview so I already have updated the controllers to prepare myself for the incoming Melee.
  • Blankman
    edited February 2014
    sframsden3 wrote: »
    Well I have the Melee headset on a truck for delivery now. I also went to the Microsoft Store and picked up their XBox One Stereo Headset for two reasons:

1) For the headset adapter
    2) To compare to the Polk Melee

I will return whichever one I am not happy with. I plan on testing them out today once the Melee comes in. I was actually surprised by the XBox Stereo Headset, especially for it being $80. Hopefully the Melee's can compete, only time will tell. I am part of the update preview so I already have updated the controllers to prepare myself for the incoming Melee.
    Please post your findings. Also, please make sure to update your controller since you're on the Preview Beta to insure that the firmware is current. I already have my Melee headset sitting in the box waiting for the headset adapter to arrive. I rely heavily on voice chat since I communicate with my crew non-stop.
  • sframsden3
    edited February 2014
    Please post your findings. Also, please make sure to update your controller since you're on the Preview Beta to insure that the firmware is current. I already have my Melee headset sitting in the box waiting for the headset adapter to arrive. I rely heavily on voice chat since I communicate with my crew non-stop.

Yep, already on the second update of the preview update and have already updated my controllers. I hope to be able to do some extensive checks over this weekend. If you have a Microsoft retail store near you, you could pick up an adapter or headset to test out yourself as well (what works for me may not be best for you). I would highly suggest that if you do have a Microsoft store near you. You can always return the Microsoft items within 30 days...
  • Vudoo0013
    Vudoo0013 Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    I already put in for a response from the tech department, but an idea for the Thumb reach mixer, Use screws to hold it together. If we are going to have the cord hanging on the ground, there will be accidents like what mine just did. I didn't notice the cord under my shoe when playing GTA V and during a hefty spite in free mode, I lifted the controller too fast and it removed the Thumb Mixer casing and tore out 3 wires. Sad day when your the one giving voice commands and for everyone, you go silent.