Listened to Beck's new album caled "Morning Phase"

Options
headrott
headrott Posts: 5,484
edited March 2014 in Music & Movies
I listened Beck's new album entitle "Morning Phase" and have to say it is pheoniminal! It is very reminiscent of "Sea Change". It is on the mellow side and has a similar feeling to it. I have to say that the recording quality and the music writing and performance are absolutely top notch! I very very highly recommend buy this on CD or vinyl. It is absolutely kick A$$!!
Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
Post edited by headrott on

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've heard good things about it. Just started listening to it now for the first time.

He is streaming it a week early on NPR "First Listen." It is officially released next Monday.

http://www.npr.org/2014/02/16/274773496/first-listen-beck-morning-phase
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I will pick it up!!!
  • Inthefade
    Inthefade Posts: 180
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've been looking forward to the release.

Pretty excited about the NPR link. I'm gonna have a listen or two tomorrow at work.

Sea Change is one of my go to albums to sit and chill to with the lights dimmed and maybe or maybe no little whiskey in hand.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited February 2014
    Options
    It is very reminiscent of "Sea Change".

If that's the case, I'll pick it up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hochpt21
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I listened twice today, and I'll be picking it up for sure.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Awesome. Beck is incredible!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • hochpt21
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Vinyl shipped yesterday, should have it tomorrow.

Listening now on MOG at work. Very good album.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Heard an interview with him on NPR earlier this week - I was pleasantly surprised by how articulate (and, even, interesting) he was as an interview subject.

I've always kind of had a peripheral understanding of him and his music - might have to do something about that...
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Great to hear, I'll have to pick this up. Absolutely loved Sea Change. Guero was good as well, but I'm ready for something a bit mellow right now.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited February 2014
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Vinyl shipped yesterday, should have it tomorrow.

Listening now on MOG at work. Very good album.

Yes, it is. I bought the CD, but since my amp is still out of comission (I am awaiting the Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps to put into it) I cannot listen to it on my main rig. I will wait until I get the BAT VK-200 working to listen to it. Can't wait!
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Heard an interview with him on NPR earlier this week - I was pleasantly surprised by how articulate (and, even, interesting) he was as an interview subject.

I've always kind of had a peripheral understanding of him and his music - might have to do something about that...

I definately recommend it. He is a great musician/songwriter. I definately recommend Guero, Sea Change, and Morning Phase. All excellent!
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Great to hear, I'll have to pick this up. Absolutely loved Sea Change. Guero was good as well, but I'm ready for something a bit mellow right now.

This should fit the bill. It's nice and mellow......
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited February 2014
    Options
    So I read this thread this Morning glad I did, as I picked it up after work started listening to it got to the 5th song pulled in the driveway backed out and decided to go for a cruise it's that good well recorded also definitely worth a buy. I just put it on for a second listen.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • hochpt21
    edited February 2014
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    So I read this thread this Morning glad I did, as I picked it up after work started listening to it got to the 5th song pulled in the driveway backed out and decided to go for a cruise it's that good well recorded also definitely worth a buy. I just put it on for a second listen.

That's a great feeling when the music is sounding so good, it just makes you want to keep driving.
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited March 2014
    Options
    It is getting better with age. I think I will get this on vinyl too!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • whgarrett1394
    whgarrett1394 Posts: 217
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I am enjoying this album quite immensely. I love the guy. I think I already like Morning Phase more than Sea Change. Its a little
    more uplifting. A little more light and airy for me.
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I like the content, but disagree about the sound quality. It's not really bad, I'd say it's just OK. It's passable, but buy this album for the music not the sound quality.