I am such a moron

Options
dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
edited February 2014 in The Clubhouse
Wed. evening I went to the 76 mini-mart to get some beer and I also needed gas so I pulled up to the pumps, handed the guy my card and went inside (in Oregon you can't pump your own gas). So I'm in there about 5 or 6 min. and come out and the guy says 'here's your card', so I get in and take off. When I get home i smell this really strong odor of gas or oil so I figured maybe he over-filled it. Anyway, tonight I went back for more beer and happen to look at the fuel gauge and I've only got a little over 1/2 of a tank. So I get there and the guy who pumped the gas was at the register, and he doesn't say a word until I mention it to him, but evidently he wasn't done pumping my gas yet when I took off :^ / He said they were waving and yelling but I didn't see them. Funny thing is I made a U turn around the other side of the pumps to exit and still didn't see or hear them. Of course there had to be 4 or 5 people in line when he explained what happened and everyone is trying to keep from laughing. I feel so small :^ (
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Sounds like you already had a few beers. :biggrin:

Oregon must be the only state around where you can't pump your own gas.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Lol.

At least you got beer!
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited February 2014
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Oregon must be the only state around where you can't pump your own gas.

New Jersey is the same way...

It's funny when they head into New York for the first time and just sit in the car at the station waiting for someone to come pump for them...

The look on their face when you tell them they have to pump for themselves is priceless. = pure fear.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I can honestly say it's never happened to me but
    I can see where it could so easy to become distracted
    and simply drive away.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    edited February 2014
    Options
    When I was in high school a buddy of mine borrowed another buddy's car and went to the gas station to pick up a pack of smokes. He also put some gas into the car's tank. When he pulled away, he forgot to remove the gas pump from the car's gas tank. It caused a couple thousand dollars worth of damage to the gas pump and to the car. Nice. He was never the sharpest tool in the shed, but a fun guy to drink with (as long as he wasn't the one driving).
  • dragon1952
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I just assumed he was done because I was inside for so long and I walk out and he goes 'here's your card'. My gas tank is on the passenger side which was facing away from me so it's not like I could see the pump still going. I can just see them waving and yelling and me just driving away oblivious to everything. And I go there like 10 times a month so I'll feel like some unconscious senile old man every time I go in there from now on. I'm assuming there was quite a bit of clean-up he had to do.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dragon1952
    edited February 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Can you? Can you really?

It's part of the senility :^ /
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I can't imagine the reasoning behind why you can't pump your own gas. Texas does have somethings better.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • dragon1952
    edited February 2014
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    I can't imagine the reasoning behind why you can't pump your own gas. Texas does have somethings better.

I heard it's because of a school bus tragedy that happened years ago but that might just be an urban legend.
  • dragon1952
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Lol.

At least you got beer!

Ha ha....I also got some primo 100% agave tequila that same trip :^ )
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited February 2014
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »

There was once a time when no one could pump their own. The attendants would wash your windows, check your oil and other fluids, even check and if needed put air in your tires. This cost the station owners a ton of labor money. So, some really smart guy figured out that self-service would save the owners a huge wad of cash and the sheeple fell for it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited February 2014
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    There was once a time when no one could pump their own. The attendants would wash your windows, check your oil and other fluids, even check and if needed put air in your tires. This cost the station owners a ton of labor money. So, some really smart guy figured out that self-service would save the owners a huge wad of cash and the sheeple fell for it.

Trust your car to the man that wears the star!
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2014
    Options

Plus you would get either trading stamps, or a gift with a fill-up.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Oh my. Funny thread but not too funny huh. I guess i can see why you feel that way when you go in now. I wouldnt let it bother you. It will pass.. A couple of weeks ago i was in my big truck & i went to get out & slipped on running boards on fuel tank at Dysarts Truck Stop. I landed on my side & got up quickly like nothing happened. People i know that work there saw me :( needless to say i was embarrassed :smile: & at my age im surprised i didnt break a hip LOL
    Randy/Maine
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited February 2014
    Options

Yeah and along with the stamps you got a Styrofoam orange Phillips 76 ball stuck on your antenna My Grandfather drove a Charger with one of them on it with a Smokey the Bear butt killer on the dash for putting out your camel non filter, days gone by, and back then you could not purchase alcohol and get gas at the same place.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• gudnoyez
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Or like this the Smoky the Bear Snuffit $59 dollars they gave them away back then thousands of camel non filters were put out by my grandfathers snuffit. I don't think he ever drove away with a half a tank of gas though on a fill up!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-SMOKEY-BEAR-SNUFFIT-/111247262050?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e6da8162
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Esso use to give you a faux tiger tail to hang out of your trunk or gas door to go with their slogan, "Put a tiger in your tank". Loved that one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Farkenhostile
    Farkenhostile Posts: 85
    edited February 2014
    Options
    A ex girlfriend of mines mom drove off without paying (back when some places still let you pump first) and she got a few miles away and freaked out thinking the police were going to come for her. she got back to the gas station and nobody even noticed it happened.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited February 2014
    Options
    ummmmmm beeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrr.....
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Can you imagine if you did have a few beers and they called the cops to help you out????????????????????????

THANKS A LOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Esso use to give you a faux tiger tail to hang out of your trunk or gas door to go with their slogan, "Put a tiger in your tank". Loved that one.

HA....I remember that. Sinclair had those Dinosaurs....must of had an army of those things. The Tiger tail was just damn cool though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Here it's all pump your own, pay before pumping.
    I almost never go inside anymore.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited February 2014
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I won't let anyone else put fuel in my truck, only me, then again I'm a licensed red seal (trade qualification up here in Canada so I got a trade ticket) automotive mechanic. Then again I won't let anyone else even work on my truck. too much to go wrong with other hands where they don't belong.

That being said, dragon, respectfully, that was a moronic move...lol

With all due respect, being in Canada, I simply would not let any garage work on my car, and I don't have any official mechanic certifications. Too many moron mechanics tried to milk my family and intentionally break stuff, specifically at Chrysler stealerships.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited February 2014
    Options
    ViperZ wrote: »
    With all due respect, being in Canada, I simply would not let any garage work on my car, and I don't have any official mechanic certifications. Too many moron mechanics tried to milk my family and intentionally break stuff, specifically at Chrysler stealerships.

Funny story about the gas.

In responce to this post, my wife took the car to a mechanic and they intentionally pulled some kind of piece of rubber from the wheel arch so it would make a noise on the tire. The mechanic begged her to go out on a dinner date with him. He kept saying he would fix the car for free if she went out with him.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Could have been worse. He could have thrown a lit cigarette out the window as he drove off.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Funny story about the gas.

In responce to this post, my wife took the car to a mechanic and they intentionally pulled some kind of piece of rubber from the wheel arch so it would make a noise on the tire. The mechanic begged her to go out on a dinner date with him. He kept saying he would fix the car for free if she went out with him.

What did she do?
  • PolkieMan
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Yea I could just see me getting someone to pump my gas at Buc-ees at midnight when I get off.
    I remember, being older that dirt, going to the GULF gas station and the nice man would filler up clean the windows and hold his hand out for a tip then put the two orange horseshoes on the back bumper cause Gulf No-Nox puts a kick in your tank. We started pumping our own in 1970 the self serve was about 3 cents a gallon cheaper, I think.
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Here it's all pump your own, pay before pumping.
    I almost never go inside anymore.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    edited February 2014
    Options
    LOL. It's all pay before pumping in Wyoming but we were in South Dakota last summer at a station that was not. I was pulling out of the parking lot when I saw the attendant running across the parking lot waving her hands. I thanked her profusely for recognizing that I'm an idiot rather than a crook.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • PolkieMan
    edited February 2014
    Options
    He-he I would have done the same thing