Xbox One Melee Adapter - Latest ETA

Superdude
Superdude Posts: 34
edited May 2014 in Video Games
Does anyone know the latest ETA? I understand it will be out when it is done. However, was hoping for a ballpark answer or the latest news. Last I hear a month ago was End of January. I'm sure that it has been pushed back.
Thanks
Post edited by Superdude on

Comments

• nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited January 2014
    ETA Q1 2014. It's only the end of the first month, they have two more months before Q1 is over.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • nafnoid
    nafnoid Posts: 3
    edited January 2014
    Apparently, Polk isn't making the adapter, Microsoft is. But I share in the frustration of not hearing a peep from Microsoft about the adapter at all (no date, specs, even an acknowledgment of its existence). Its not fair to the customer and its not fair to the headset manufacturers whose customers are getting upset with them for not having a clear release date. Frustrating all the way around.
  • Superdude
    edited January 2014
    I did some more searching for info from Microsoft about the adapter. It appears that the adapter will be included with the titanfall headset bundle released in March (If it is released on time). Another competitor to polk has listed the adapter will arrive between March 1st-June31st. I suspect the eta holds true with Polk as well. BTW I'm not complaining, just wanted to let others know what I have found. I understand that the problem is with MS not delivering the adapter, and Polk is not at fault.
  • Superdude
    edited February 2014
  • Superdude
    edited February 2014
    Okay The ETA has been moved to March:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/11/xbox-one-stereo-headset-and-adapter-arriving-in-march

Per the article:
    For Xbox One owners who already own a pair of compatible stereo gaming headphones the adapter will also be available separately alongside the headset when it’s released in March. This will just enable chat audio; in this case, game audio will require direct connection with your Xbox One via an optical cable or TV via RCA cables.

---

I thought that the audio and chat was through the controller now??? If this is so, this blows... So much for wireless....
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited February 2014
    I was just coming here to post this. So it looks like we will still need a wire running from the Xbox One to the headset for game audio.
  • bishop007
    bishop007 Posts: 6
    edited February 2014
    from the other thread:

It looks like Major Nelson just posted an update:

I’ve seen a lot of questions about what will / won’t work. Here is an easy way to think about it:

Legacy gaming headsets get game audio from the back of the console from the S/PDIF port. Get chat audio by connecting the 2.5mm chat cable to the adapter,

New Xbox One headsets – get chat and stereo directly from the adapter. No need to connect anything to the console.

Any 3.5mm stereo headset (that uses the CTIA plug standard) can get stereo game audio by plugging into the adapter.
    Xbox One By Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson
  • GreenGreen
    GreenGreen Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    For those that missed the connection:
    The Melee uses the 3.5mm plug, so we should be just fine by only connecting to the controller for both game and chat audio.
    I wonder if we will get a new (short) cable to go with the adapter or if we need to used the one we already have with the in-line microphone.
  • SwiftyCG
    SwiftyCG Posts: 29
    edited February 2014
    GreenGreen wrote: »
    For those that missed the connection:
    The Melee uses the 3.5mm plug, so we should be just fine by only connecting to the controller for both game and chat audio.
    I wonder if we will get a new (short) cable to go with the adapter or if we need to used the one we already have with the in-line microphone.
    Yes I really hope they ship out a shorter cord with the adapter because the one now would be way to long and would have cord everywhere. Please do this. THanks
  • Blankman
    Blankman Posts: 51
    edited February 2014
    I just purchased the Melee headset primarily for the Xbox One since it's essentially the same as the 4 Shot. My question is when Polk sends out the Xbox One headset adapters, will they also send out the necessary cable to connect the headset to the adapter? The current cable set-up is attached to the mixer adapter that, in turn, attaches to the Xbox 360 controller. The only other cable is the cell phone cable. Thanks in advance.
  • SwiftyCG
    SwiftyCG Posts: 29
    edited February 2014
    Blankman wrote: »
    I just purchased the Melee headset primarily for the Xbox One since it's essentially the same as the 4 Shot. My question is when Polk sends out the Xbox One headset adapters, will they also send out the necessary cable to connect the headset to the adapter? The current cable set-up is attached to the mixer adapter that, in turn, attaches to the Xbox 360 controller. The only other cable is the cell phone cable. Thanks in advance.
    same question all MELEE owners have that bought it for the xbox one.
  • regnaston
    regnaston Posts: 38
    edited February 2014

The adapter they send out will be the exact adapter that is in the 4shot box. All audio (voice and game) will be processed through the controller. You will no longer have any wires going from your xbox to the headset
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    Superdude wrote: »
    Okay The ETA has been moved to March:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/11/xbox-one-stereo-headset-and-adapter-arriving-in-march

Per the article:
    For Xbox One owners who already own a pair of compatible stereo gaming headphones the adapter will also be available separately alongside the headset when it’s released in March. This will just enable chat audio; in this case, game audio will require direct connection with your Xbox One via an optical cable or TV via RCA cables.

---

I thought that the audio and chat was through the controller now??? If this is so, this blows... So much for wireless....

Older headsets that are compatible (like the x41's from Turtle Beach) not the polk 4shot or melee or the TB X04 or X07
  • Blankman
    edited February 2014
    regnaston wrote: »
    The adapter they send out will be the exact adapter that is in the 4shot box. All audio (voice and game) will be processed through the controller. You will no longer have any wires going from your xbox to the headset
    There was never any question about the wires. You are misinformed about where the audio processing takes place. The console process all of the audio & sends it to the controller which in turn, sends it to the passive headset. The controller does not audio processing, it just serves as a "middle man."

My question was if Polk would include the 4 ft. 3.5mm (male-to-male) audio cable similar to the one that ships with the 4 Shot headset along with the headset adapter. If they don't, we would have to purchase our own audio cable to attach the headset to the adapter.
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    There was never any question about the wires. You are misinformed about where the audio processing takes place. The console process all of the audio & sends it to the controller which in turn, sends it to the passive headset. The controller does not audio processing, it just serves as a "middle man."

My question was if Polk would include the 4 ft. 3.5mm (male-to-male) audio cable similar to the one that ships with the 4 Shot headset along with the headset adapter. If they don't, we would have to purchase our own audio cable to attach the headset to the adapter.

You are right about the processing being in the xbox and sent to the controller. I meant that but said it the wrong way.

Not sure about the 3.5mm cable being with the adapter, but the Melee came with one (the one you can use to attach to your cell phone).

Not sure if the inline mic on that wire will be an issue though
  • Blankman
    edited February 2014
    You are right about the processing being in the xbox and sent to the controller. I meant that but said it the wrong way.

Not sure about the 3.5mm cable being with the adapter, but the Melee came with one (the one you can use to attach to your cell phone).

Not sure if the inline mic on that wire will be an issue though
    The in-line cell phone cable disengages the headset's built-in mic until it's unplugged. So, that's a no go.
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    I asked on their facebook page. They answered my question earlier today (about shipment date of the adapter --response was "early march")
  • aDzDooM
    aDzDooM Posts: 12
    edited February 2014
    So ... if we have to buy a 3.5mm male to male audio cable to attach the Melee headset to the new adapter on Xbox One, does this 3.5mm cable need to be 4 pole?
  • Blankman
    edited February 2014
    aDzDooM wrote: »
    So ... if we have to buy a 3.5mm male to male audio cable to attach the Melee headset to the new adapter on Xbox One, does this 3.5mm cable need to be 4 pole?
    Nope. The audio cable has to be 3.5mm on both male ends.
  • aDzDooM
    edited February 2014
    yes 3.5 mm, but 3 or 4 pole ends?
  • Blankman
    edited February 2014
    aDzDooM wrote: »
    yes 3.5 mm, but 3 or 4 pole ends?
    Um, there are no poles when it's a 3.5mm jack.
  • Zeros
    edited February 2014
    it will have to be the CTIA standard 3.5 mm jack, which is the one with 4 "poles" (technically tip, ring 1, ring 2 and sleeve)

Photo_13-5-1___5_20_13.jpg
  • Blankman
    edited February 2014
    Um, there are no poles when it's a 3.5mm jack.
    I misunderstood the question. I thought that aDzDooM meant prongs. Whoops. Thanks for clearing that up, Zeros. :)
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    I just called the cable will be attached or included with the adapter
  • Blankman
    edited February 2014
    I just called the cable will be attached or included with the adapter
    Thanks for doing the legwork, regnaston!
  • aDzDooM
    edited February 2014
    That's great to hear, truly makes buying the Melee the best option if you own both a 360 and a one.
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    In the mean time I hacked apart my extra XB1 headset and made an adapter for the old Turtlebeaches I have (XL1) so I can have game audio and also game chat

Found instructions on the internet
  • Zeros
    edited February 2014
    I did the same thing, but the guys I play with are saying that it sounds like I am far away. I have already exchanged my Melee's once because of this, so I hope that the official Polk adapter fixes this.
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    Zeros wrote: »
    I did the same thing, but the guys I play with are saying that it sounds like I am far away. I have already exchanged my Melee's once because of this, so I hope that the official Polk adapter fixes this.

That could be the headsets themselves.

I returned one pair because my friends said I was hard to hear and sounded distant (on the 360). The new headsets are better, but I still sound distant
  • Superdude
    edited February 2014
    !!! NEW ETA, Adapters are being packaged and will be sent out not this Friday but NEXT FRIDAY, March 7th!!!

Called Polk Support and got confirmation.