Another HiFi 2000 Chassis For Single Buffalo III DAC

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited August 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
After being stuck in customs for two days, I finally received my second HiFi2000 enclosure from Italy. I guess metal enclosure for an electronic device of my choice raises suspicion. :0 Probably got me on a watch list. They tell me they had classification issues with it.

HiFi2000 tells me they switched to FedEx for shipping as they will be cheaper than UPS. Waiting to see if I get an import duty invoice. I don't do a lot of international, but my experience has been UPS will automatically charge import duty on everything with seven days to pay or they start tacking on interest. With FedEx it has been sometimes I get a duty charge with international.

This is a HiFi2000 2U metal enclosure with fully vented top cover, 10mm aluminum font panel. Front and back panel machining by their modushop, anodize after machine. Finally the single BIII DAC will have a worthy enclosure. I've got some friends that want to demo it, but unsure it will make it past the first.....these DAC's sound that good.

This is a single BIII DAC with Legato output board. Shunting power supplies for DAC and output board. Cheating with a wall wart for the Arduino/LCD display. The Legato I/V board sports discrete balanced output, SE output and headphone out. It will also have Arduino serial control with modified HiFiDuino code by Corpius. It will be controlled by a manual encoder or Apple remote. Input wise I'm thinking USB to I2S and a coax S/PDIF. One fellow asked for Bluetooth input but I don't think I can pull that off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93926&d=1390690275

attachment.php?attachmentid=93927&d=1390690276

attachment.php?attachmentid=93928&d=1390690280
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Very nice!

You going into business Rich? Should I get my order in? :smile:
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Dammmmmnnnnnnnnn that's sexy!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2014
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Very nice!

You going into business Rich? Should I get my order in? :smile:

I wish, but don't have the time. ;) Fairly easy build, although pricey, including the enclosure. The worst part of another Arduino/LCD build is Corpius is back in school while working, so no shields are available from him. The shield attaches to the Arduino and makes the wring much easier and worked with his code. A manual selector DAC would be easier and less expensive.

Hey Dan!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited January 2014
    Options
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited January 2014
    Options
    This should have had a NSFW tag...sexyness!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2014
    Options
    So, when are you including some tubes in the analog output Rich?? :smile:

Nice build! Looks great!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2014
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    So, when are you including some tubes in the analog output Rich?? :smile:

Nice build! Looks great!

Thanks Greg! They already have some round glowing things on the PS boards....oh wait, those are LED's....lol
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Found a round tuit. Still need to connect USB to I2S/DSD and connect two more inputs but it does S/PDIF mighty fine! Remote control, discrete balanced output, SE and headphone out. Then off to Carl and Mike for trial. Ed says he wants Bluetooth input so he has to wait....lol These are much simpler to build. No more dual mono builds!

Some extra room in this for future USB boards that may be larger and maybe another power supply.

A couple of improvements I make to the HiFi2000 chassis are slightly longer M4 bolts and nylon lock nuts to secure floor to side panels. I also like to stud mount the front panel as it is much easier to start and tighten a nut than insert and tighten a screw with the innards populated.

I cheated and used a wall wart PS for the Arduino/LCD display and no noise or buzz so it will stay. In my dual mono I used a linear power supply for the Arduino/LCD. IEC has filter built in along with switch, fuse.

attachment.php?attachmentid=94598&d=1392516919

attachment.php?attachmentid=94599&d=1392516921

attachment.php?attachmentid=94600&d=1392516923

attachment.php?attachmentid=94601&d=1392516925

attachment.php?attachmentid=94602&d=1392516928

attachment.php?attachmentid=94603&d=1392517203

attachment.php?attachmentid=94605&d=1392517956

bIIIsingle_1.jpg
    bIIIsingle_2.jpg
    bIIIsingle_3.jpg
    bIIIsingle_4.jpg
    bIIIsingle_5.jpg
    bIIIsingle_6.jpg
    bIIIsingle_7.jpg

I just had to do a few holes for the Arduino/IR receiver.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Beautiful Rich! Nice job!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I so envy you guys that have soo much talent, nice work, as usual Rich!!!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Do you suppose my DAC will sound like Schiit after I audition yours? :cool:

I'm a HUGE fan of attention to detail. Amazing work, my friend!
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Awesome.That little one man custom DAC shop in IL sure pumps out some nice product.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2014
    Options
    WOW! Rich that thing is a piece of beauty! A master craftsman's masterpiece!

I am warming up a spot for it in my system for a test drive.

Mike, I hope that you are in no hurry:cheesygrin:
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited March 2014
    Options
    My round tuit isn't as hi-tech....

RT+2.jpg

It's a wrap. I get by with a little help from my friends...thanks to Fred for the ready built Salas PS. It powers the Sidecar switching board, input board and USB module.

Using Dynamicaps as AC couplers due to the common mode DC with the Legato I/V output board. Common mode is DC between balanced + and balanced ground, balanced - and balanced ground. Not all amps can handle common mode DC. Over the years I have measured gear for common mode DC and found it is not uncommon.;)

biiidac_f_31024x372.jpg

biiidac_i_1.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited March 2014
    Options
    D A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A M M M M M M M M M N N N N N N N !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich that just looks like straight audio **** right there....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2014
    Options
    That definitely goes in the "show me your guts thread"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • FTGV
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Very nice Rich.I really like your classy front panels with the central display and fancy attenuator knob.That black pc board doesn't look to out of place.
  • schwarcw
    edited March 2014
    Options
    A beautiful looking piece!!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words! Much credit goes to HiFi2000/modushop.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Looks very nice Rich. How much to get the custom face work and case from modushop? Is this one going on a road trip? I love mine and am working on getting the ottoII installed.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks Greg! This will travel to Carl and then Mike. Ed has heard my dual mono DAC but would like Bluetooth input added. That's beyond my capability right now. Russ at Twisted Pear is messing with Raspberry Pi now and mentioned Bluetooth so maybe he will come up with an offering like that someday.

This Pesante 2U chassis with 10mm front panel was ~220 euro or $306US. Shipping is high, ~$70US. They use FedEx now. Before it was UPS. Shipping was cheaper with UPS until you got the import duty invoice with two weeks to pay before they start tacking on interest. Options were fully vented top cover, anti-vibration feet, drilled inner base, knob, both sides machined, holes drilled and tapped for LED display and anodized after machining. Front Panel Express doesn't do both sides machined or anodize after machine. Both sides machine is like 60euro or $84US.

If using an OLED display, they are like 1/8" thinner so no need to go as deep with display cavity on rear of front panel. Robert (Corpius) of CE -Designs is working on an improved controller and code that will work with an OLED display. Currently the code doesn't support the Arduino/CE-Designs shield when using OLED displays. I'll have to make a thin filler (like hard foam) for mine when the OLED display is installed to take up the small gap.

Doing the deep cavity for the IR receiver makes for excellent off axis remote operation.
  • schwarcw
    edited March 2014
    Options
    After listening to this DAC for two days now, all I can say is the sound is stunning! I immediately noticed an improvement over my Benchmark DAC 1. The soundstage is wider, deeper and I have a little more depth on the low end. Overall, I think it is also smoother than the Benchmark. But it's the wide open sound with smooth definition that make the music more involving.

The build quality, appearance, smooth and easy operation is World Class. Rich put together a real nice documentation package that rivals anything a high end supplier would include with their product. A very impressive piece of audio gear. Nothing about this looks like it was a DIY project. It's a professionally crafted piece that looks and sounds excellent.

Some pics and a little more review based on my listening pleasure will come later. But this beauty has found a nice home.

Great job Rich!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words! Hey Carl! Glad you like it. Interested in hearing more from you as you spend more time with it.

If you can solder, you can build one of these. Granted the Arduino/LCD can get complicated at first, but it can be also be built easier and less expensive with manual control. While the Twisted Pear kits are high in price compared to some offerings, they are highly optimized and punch way, way above their price point when assembled properly.
  • FTGV
    edited March 2014
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    . While the Twisted Pear kits are high in price compared to some offerings, they are highly optimized and punch way, way above their price point when assembled properly.
    I concur.
  • milund
    milund Posts: 3
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Would it be possible to use your work to order a chassis from Hifi2000 modus?

br,
    Michael
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2014
    Options
    milund wrote: »
    Would it be possible to use your work to order a chassis from Hifi2000 modus?

br,
    Michael

Hi Michael. Thanks for the kind words. You mean the .fpd file? (Front Panel Express drawing). No problem, I'd share it. Are you going to order the same exact chassis and use same LCD display? Otherwsie you'd have to change the front face plate dimensions and then may need to tweak placement of encoder/remote/LCD screen holes and lettering. You have to keep in mind the top and bottom panels have a lip that extends into chassis about 1/4" at front and rear to stiffen them. Interference with components can restrict the panels from sitting flat on chassis or short LCD pins.

Andrea at modushop assisted with the rear panel LCD mounting holes. I provided LCD data sheet for precise location of holes to LCD screen opening. Material was removed where the board would be close to panel and short out. Different LCD screens might have different dimensions.
  • milund
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot.
    I will do a measurement of the display this weekend - it would be very cool have the DAC in a chassis with such high finish.

best regards,
    Michael
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Front Panel Express was challenging at first, but like anything mucking around in it gets you the needed experience to use it and find all the options. Andrea will alert you if something is very wrong. He does fairly well with English, but I did send some crude Paint drawings so we were visually on the same page. In particular it was the rear cavity for the LCD screen and clearance for the circuit board header pins. I wanted the screen closer to the front panel surface rather than 10mm deep at back of panel.

You can export your drawing in an SVG file which displays using Internet Explorer. It will show bevels around openings and if the font machining looks good.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/
  • milund
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thats great - I think I will give it a try myself. But can I have your file as a starting point? (it is nice with an example when trying out a completely new tool).

Thanks,
    Michael
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I sent you PM with my email. Not sure if you can access with low post count.