LSA in the house

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,185
edited April 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
LSA Statement Amp in the house! Just over 3 weeks to build it, test it, and ship it from Bellevue-WA to GA. Now, I am not going to do any kind of review on this sucka yet. I know its not anywhere near broken in. I spent some time opening her up (top and bottom) to get a good look at how she's built. Call me impressed. We're talking about ~75lbs of integrated amp here. You will see this is a Silver version of the Statement. Most of the photos are of the Black/Wood version. I prefer the silver/black look, and it was $500 cheaper due to an abundance of Silver units in their inventory.

IMGP05481280x848.jpg

Here is a look at the bottom with the cover off, which is as far as I know, is the first photo on the web of the underside. Notice there are two transformers here, lots of power regulation, the volume pot (which on close look is an Alps Blue Velvet), the input selector relays, and probably the built in phono stage (which I will not use).

IMGP05521280x848.jpg

Here is a view of the top. Looks pretty close to other photos I've seen other than the board colors. This is the combined preamp gain section and amp section. Outputs are 3-matched pairs of MOSFETs per side. Good for 150/300/500 into 8/4/2 ohms. No shortage of current in this design. Huge twin transformers are in front of the boards shown here. Filter caps are 4700uf/85V for each, so that's just under 20k per channel. Not the most I've seen, but more than sufficient. If the transformers, diodes, and regulators are sized properly, you really don't need huge amounts of capacitance anyway.

IMGP05591280x848.jpg

Even though the integrated is pretty huge, it is still smaller than my combined BAT VK-30/Halo A21. This allows me to finally get my system all back in my favorite Salamander Synergy stand.

IMGP0567848x1280.jpg

Much cleaner setup than the twin, non-matching racks I had before. The Salamander was only being used to hold my VPI.

IMGP05691280x848.jpg

IMGP05701280x848.jpg

So, I listened to a couple CDs, and now I've got her playing an FM feed. I'll let it go non-stop for a week or so to get her broken in fully, then I will start to really listen. So far, I like what I hear. Not sure if its because I haven't had a working system for a full month, or if this amp is really something special, but the bass is there in spades. Better than the BAT/Halo combo. Noise floor is lower (perhaps 2 tubes vs 6 tubes?), and I'm hearing some details in familiar music that I haven't heard before.

Along the way I've got some tweaking to work on, including trying a couple different sets of speaker cables and some tube rolling. It will be a few months before I can definitively form an opinion of this amp. So far, I really think it was a move in the right direction.
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Congrats on the new integrated, looks like a well built piece.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited January 2014
    Options
    At one time, I had almost purchased its predecessor, the DK Designs VS1, Mk II. I've always liked its utilitarian, no-nonsense look.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Beautiful system ya got there. Wouldnt mind getting my ears on that :smile: Enjoy your breaking it in time
    Randy/Maine
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Beautiful piece of gear, striking appearance, what tubes does she take? The integrated route is not a bad path to follow, enjoy!
  • billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Beautiful piece of gear, striking appearance, what tubes does she take? The integrated route is not a bad path to follow, enjoy!

It uses a pair of 6922/6DJ8. Luckily, I already have a small stash of them from my previous BAT preamp.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Congrats! Nice looking integrated.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I love my LSA integrated.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Man, sure is a looker. Looks like an end game piece bro. Fill us in on the sound when you can.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Very nice looking piece and nice room too..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Jhayman wrote: »
    Very nice looking piece and nice room too..

This piece my friend is right up your alley should you decide to move up from the McCormacks.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Man, I am not sure if that puppy qualifies as a "integrated". Its more like 2 really nice separates stacked into 1 chassis lol....

Thats my kind of integrated!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I can't wait to hear how the SS-M9's sound with the LSA :) Enjoy the listening!

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2014
    Options
    That looks fantastic! Congrats!
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Wow. I'd definitely like to hear that amp with those speakers. Congrats.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited March 2014
    Options
    How is sounding now that it's broken in?
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • billbillw
    edited April 2014
    Options
    danz1906 wrote: »
    How is sounding now that it's broken in?

Ya know, I'm not sure...I swapped cables a month or so back, still on stock tubes. Its definitely good, but my basement was very cold through February and March, so I haven't been doing much listening. Starting to warm up and I hope to start listening more again. I'll be doing some tube rolling as well now that the stock (EH) tubes are burned in sufficiently.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Wow that is purdy!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited April 2014
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Ya know, I'm not sure...I swapped cables a month or so back, still on stock tubes. Its definitely good, but my basement was very cold through February and March, so I haven't been doing much listening. Starting to warm up and I hope to start listening more again. I'll be doing some tube rolling as well now that the stock (EH) tubes are burned in sufficiently.

60+ words and you didn't enlighten us on a damn thing ;-(

Just pickin on ya...please update us when you thaw out
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Tronman
    Tronman Posts: 72
    edited April 2014
    Options
    WoW that's Purdier then a new Varnished Gun Rack :-)
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Any updates? Been looking at this piece myself
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Great looking unit.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • billbillw
    Options
    Updates? Not really...It just works and it works well.

Bass is definitely improved over my previous BAT/Parasound combo which surprised me. Also, much lower noise floor.

I'm still using the original tubes (plain old Russian Electro Harmonix 6922). One of these days I'll roll in some of my other tubes, but I'm happy with the way it sounds which is what I was after. Simplified setup.