POLK AUDIO 4SHOT - XBOXONE - Comparison verses other HEADSET

Options

Comments

• GAMEPHRENIC GOD
    GAMEPHRENIC GOD Posts: 53
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Based on the over all implementation of XBOXONE, its strategy was to be a true all in One. So, It would be advisable to hookup your main media to the "HDMI in" on the XBOXONE. So, the entire usage of "XBOX Snap" , will become the new way to switch between media. Once you set it up that way, it will eliminate the clutter. So, I would do that first to simplify your multi-media hook up. Also, remember, there are no batteries needed for the 4Shot, thus the headset is power through your Xboxone controller (which, I think is pretty awesome, no one is doing that). If you have multiple systems, use the XBOXONE as a base and hook up the other system through your Xboxone via the HDMI In.

Let me know, if this works for you.

Best,

GG

bluehorde wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply GAMEPHRENIC... I am still a little confused as to how these can be used without the xbox one controller. If
    these are indeed passive, do we need to have these hooked up to the xbox one controller to use them? Can I watch cable tv and use these if my Xbox is not on? I am asking because my old Logitech wireless headsets had a base with a switch to change inputs.
    I can play xbox 360, PS3 or watch cable tv.

Thanks again...
  • bluehorde
    bluehorde Posts: 5
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Based on the over all implementation of XBOXONE, its strategy was to be a true all in One. So, It would be advisable to hookup your main media to the "HDMI in" on the XBOXONE. So, the entire usage of "XBOX Snap" , will become the new way to switch between media. Once you set it up that way, it will eliminate the clutter. So, I would do that first to simplify your multi-media hook up. Also, remember, there are no batteries needed for the 4Shot, thus the headset is power through your Xboxone controller (which, I think is pretty awesome, no one is doing that). If you have multiple systems, use the XBOXONE as a base and hook up the other system through your Xboxone via the HDMI In.

Let me know, if this works for you.

Best,

GG

From what I get from your post, you are confirming that in order for this headset to function it has to be connected to the controller because it does not have batteries. So If I am watching a movie, I have to lug the controller around if I get up to do something. I guess I can pause the movie and remove the headset but it doesn't seem very convenient. Is this the way that all headsets will work for xbox one or just this particular set?
    Sorry for all my questions... Just want to know what exactly I am buying.
  • GAMEPHRENIC GOD
    edited January 2014
    Options
    You can unplug it. The power source is used for amplification. So, if you wanted to connect it to your phone or other mobile sources like a tablet, it is fully mobile. If the entertainment source is solely coming from the Xboxone and you were watch a movie on the Xboxone, then have the lightweight controller is not hard, plus the cord is long, check out the pdf (under products and manuals on this site).

I have a 73inch tv and casually walk to be balcony to catch a smoke, so traveling wih the remote in my hand and the headset on my neck is a easy commute. Plus the design is awesome and light weight. So, unlike the other brands, which I know to well, they can be a nuisance on your neck.

Regardless, I am picking these up.
    From what I get from your post, you are confirming that in order for this headset to function it has to be connected to the controller because it does not have batteries. So If I am watching a movie, I have to lug the controller around if I get up to do something. I guess I can pause the movie and remove the headset but it doesn't seem very convenient. Is this the way that all headsets will work for xbox one or just this particular set?
    Sorry for all my questions... Just want to know what exactly I am buying.
  • gustavm
    gustavm Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Just to be clear the headsets will just be regular old stereo unless plugged into the xbox controller? Because i was hoping for some simulated surround sound for all my media.
  • KirkSi
    KirkSi Posts: 10
    edited January 2014
    Options
    gustavm wrote: »
    Just to be clear the headsets will just be regular old stereo unless plugged into the xbox controller? Because i was hoping for some simulated surround sound for all my media.
    All of the new headsets for the Xbox One are stereo. There are some headsets out there (mainly used with PC I think) with multiple drivers that are supposed to be capable of 'true surround sound' but they don't get good reviews. The simulated surround sound you can get from a stereo headset IMO is much better. You can also get a simulated surround sound from other devices that these could connect to. My old Yamaha AV amp had a system similar to Dolby Headphone called 'Silent Cinema'. It meant that any stereo headset plugged into the amp would receive simulated surroud and it was very effective.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Ugh simulated surround is terrible. Just use pure stereo and let the imaging do its work correctly.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • bluehorde
    bluehorde Posts: 5
    edited January 2014
    Options
    So it looks like this headset's release date is getting pushed back... Im not sure if we will be able to get headsets anytime soon. :(
  • KirkSi
    edited January 2014
    Options
    So it looks like this headset's release date is getting pushed back... Im not sure if we will be able to get headsets anytime soon. :(
    Where have you heard that? Date on Amazon.com is still 7th of March, which got pushed back from 14th Feb. Is this the push back you're talking about or is there another?
  • GAMEPHRENIC GOD
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I believe it is. Initially it was for November around Xboxone Release, then Feb 7th, which I took vacation off to align with the day and my birthday. Then March 7th. Now, I will enjoy these during the week of my daugther's birthday. But, I know they are working hard to insure they get it right the first time around. In this market of consumers, you can not afford to make mistakes.

KirkSi wrote: »
    Where have you heard that? Date on Amazon.com is still 7th of March, which got pushed back from 14th Feb. Is this the push back you're talking about or is there another?
  • Sirch
    Sirch Posts: 20
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hey guys, saw this thread and thought I would jump in.

I've got a 360 and an Xbox One.

I emailed a Polk representative back and forth a few times regarding the 4Shot and the Melee. The 4Shot is the exact same headset as the melee. The only difference is that the Melee comes with the cabled audio controller to connect to an Xbox 360, computer, or other audio device with an optical audio out an USB power. The 4Shot comes with the controller adapter (though you get it with the Melee).

I did purchase the Melee from Amazon a few weeks ago.

I have it connected to the Xbox One and obviously don't use the chat the function, I only use it for audio. I won't repost my full review, but if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer as best I can.
  • KirkSi
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Sirch wrote: »
    Hey guys, saw this thread and thought I would jump in.

I've got a 360 and an Xbox One.

I emailed a Polk representative back and forth a few times regarding the 4Shot and the Melee. The 4Shot is the exact same headset as the melee. The only difference is that the Melee comes with the cabled audio controller to connect to an Xbox 360, computer, or other audio device with an optical audio out an USB power. The 4Shot comes with the controller adapter (though you get it with the Melee).

I did purchase the Melee from Amazon a few weeks ago.

I have it connected to the Xbox One and obviously don't use the chat the function, I only use it for audio. I won't repost my full review, but if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer as best I can.
    Can you compare the audio quality to any other headsets you've used in the past?
  • Superdude
    Superdude Posts: 34
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Can you compare the audio quality to any other headsets you've used in the past?

I got mine to work with the xbox one without chat. I would say the sound quality is better than the 30-40 dolars usb chat headsets I have on my pc. There is a hissing noise because of the usb. This wont be a factor hopefully with the new adapter. The sound has the right bass to me. But for some it is not enough bass. I would buy again.
  • regnaston
    regnaston Posts: 38
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I preordered mine yesterday. (coincidentally for those in Canada you can preorder from Bestbuy.ca and Futureshop.ca and they are $10 cheaper than Amazon.com with free shipping)

I just wish there was a definitive release date of these headsets. Polk gives you a "we hope by X Date we are waiting on MS to ship the adapters." And MS says "We dont know when"

If they dont by the first week in March at the latest, I may just cancel the order.
  • Sirch
    edited February 2014
    Options

My last headset was the Turtle Beach X41.

So I'm not sure how to compare the two. The X41 was wireless and I got a lot of popping and hissing due to interference from other wireless devices (like my router). I find the cable extremely annoying, but that will go away with the adapter for the Xbox One.

Also, the Xbox only outputs compressed stereo to the optical audio out on the Xbox One. I can't output to 5.1 or Dolby, they both result in zero audio, even after reboots.

I assume that compressed stereo with the simulated surround that the headset controller provides is similar to the wireless setup the Xbox One adapter will provide. It sounds good enough for me. Less distortion than the X41's, but not as "loud". The bass certainly sounds better, but I'm not the best judge of audio quality. I'm a shooter fan, and the simulated directional audio sounds good to me!

I found audio in Call of Duty Ghosts to be way too quiet. Battlefield 4 is loud enough, but not excessively loud. What concerns me is the low volume of CoD:Ghosts.

I like the placement of the microphone, and I did do some testing with it on the Xbox 360. It sounded really good to me (recorded messages and played them back). Unfortunately, the in-line microphone with the provided auxiliary cable for connecting to your phone sucked. I wish there was a way to use the built in microphone instead of the in-line microphone.

If you want a dedicated gaming headset, there will likely be better out there in the future at this price point. Perhaps true wireless surround sound (with multiple speakers and a base station).

I do like the fact though that I can use this with my laptop, my tablet, my phone, and take it with me to work. It doesn't look like a gaming headset (big, bulky, plastic). It's sleek, thin, and attractive. It looks like a pair of polk headphones. Nobody is going to know they're made for gaming. They sound great with my phone (Galaxy S4) and on my computer.

That's the selling point for me - they look good, they're comfortable, they're well made, and they work outside of just gaming. What other headsets can claim that? They all look like something you would see on a 1980's advertisement for Transformers with a giant boom mic sticking out of a big boxy earphone. Nobody wants that.

That said, I was able to get these for $143 from Amazon when BestBuy had a sale (Amazon matched). At that price, it's obliviously a steel to pick up the Melee since you can get it for less than the 4Shot.

I'm keeping them. I'm sure the wireless will work and sound great, they are made by Polk after all.

I hope this helps!

Edit:

Also, I have my Amazon Review here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Melee-Headphone-Black-Xbox/product-reviews/B00E1L7836/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R23QLTS7CZMSO

I'll be updating it with the wireless portion - it's the only thing holding me back from 5 stars. Once I have it tested and have roughly the same experience with audio quality, I'll update the review.
  • KirkSi
    edited February 2014
    Options
    If you want a dedicated gaming headset, there will likely be better out there in the future at this price point. Perhaps true wireless surround sound (with multiple speakers and a base station).

I do like the fact though that I can use this with my laptop, my tablet, my phone, and take it with me to work. It doesn't look like a gaming headset (big, bulky, plastic). It's sleek, thin, and attractive. It looks like a pair of polk headphones. Nobody is going to know they're made for gaming. They sound great with my phone (Galaxy S4) and on my computer.

That's the selling point for me - they look good, they're comfortable, they're well made, and they work outside of just gaming. What other headsets can claim that? They all look like something you would see on a 1980's advertisement for Transformers with a giant boom mic sticking out of a big boxy earphone. Nobody wants that.

That said, I was able to get these for $143 from Amazon when BestBuy had a sale (Amazon matched). At that price, it's obliviously a steel to pick up the Melee since you can get it for less than the 4Shot.

I'm keeping them. I'm sure the wireless will work and sound great, they are made by Polk after all.

I hope this helps!

Edit:

Also, I have my Amazon Review here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Melee-Headphone-Black-Xbox/product-reviews/B00E1L7836/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R23QLTS7CZMSO

I'll be updating it with the wireless portion - it's the only thing holding me back from 5 stars. Once I have it tested and have roughly the same experience with audio quality, I'll update the review.
    Thanks for the reply. My previous setup had a lot of wires (optical and USB to mixamp, mixamp to headset and mixamp to controller) so this setup we're going to get with the 4 Shot is what I always wanted. I'm not bothered about true wireless with a base station as it means batteries to keep charged in the headset and possible wireless interference. I love the fact that they're a passive headphone and will draw power from the controller. Multiple drivers I'm also not bothered about. I'd rather have one, large, quality driver per ear than try and cram multiple, smaller, lesser quality ones in. I've been quite happy with the Dolby Headphone signal that my mixamp outputs for directionality. Just hope we get these around the same date in the UK as you guys in the US and Canada.
  • Shuflie
    Shuflie Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    Options
    This is directed to Ken. In keeping with the theme of the original question, would you recommend getting the 4Shot or going with a higher end headset such as the ultrafocus 8000 and buying the adaptor separately? I know the Ultrafocus 8000 + adaptor will be a much more expensive option, and there is the inconvenience replacing batteries in the headset, but is the difference in sound quality worth it?
  • Swanny32
    Swanny32 Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'm going to dumb things down a bit now.....my questions are:

1) With other headsets you have a boom mic which is detachable, if this goes wrong, get's dunked in coffee or ruined by the kids, a replacement one can be ordered, plugged in and away you go. If the mic goes wrong on the 4Shots this isn't an option, what options would I have after the 1 year warranty if over?

2) Is the voice clarity on the built in microphone equal to a boom mic available on other companies headsets? I've heard that with the Melee headset you sound further away from the microphone than on a normal mic.

3) What the hell is pleather?
  • Superdude
    Superdude Posts: 34
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Swanny32 wrote: »

The word “pleather” is a popular slang term for synthetic leather made out of plastic, and is actually a combination of the words “plastic leather.” When the faux leather first arrived on the fashion scene in the 1970s, the word was used in a derogatory manner, implying that the wearer was just too poor to buy the pricey, stylish genuine leather items that were in fashion. In modern times, however, many people prefer wearing pleather articles of clothing because they are against using products made from animals.
  • Sirch
    edited February 2014
    Options

1) With other headsets you have a boom mic which is detachable, if this goes wrong, get's dunked in coffee or ruined by the kids, a replacement one can be ordered, plugged in and away you go. If the mic goes wrong on the 4Shots this isn't an option, what options would I have after the 1 year warranty if over?

2) Is the voice clarity on the built in microphone equal to a boom mic available on other companies headsets? I've heard that with the Melee headset you sound further away from the microphone than on a normal mic.

1) No, you cannot replace the mic. It's fixed. However, it's so low profile, I don't see how it would be possible to damage it the way you're referring. When not in use, it is flush with the headphones.

2) This was one of my main concerns as well. I tested it using recordings on the Xbox 360 and it sounded very clear. I was quite impressed.

3) Fake leather.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hello Shuflie,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. I'm not sure I can offer the best opinion on comparing the 8000 versus the gaming style headphones since I've not heard those. Nor am I a game player (except chess). I bought a pair of the 8000 and think very highly of them, great sounding, comfortable and non-fatiguing. I've also heard the Buckle and find them very good sounding, as well.
    I don't believe I would ever have been able to predict the wide assortment of different headphone applications that have developed in the past five years or so. I guess each headphone comes with strengths that apply to each application it was intended for.
    Cheers, Ken
  • Swanny32
    edited February 2014
    Options
    1) No, you cannot replace the mic. It's fixed. However, it's so low profile, I don't see how it would be possible to damage it the way you're referring. When not in use, it is flush with the headphones.

Not necessarily damaged in the way I have suggested, but it's go to be spring loaded, possibly with a clip or magnet holding it in place within the earphone, what if this wore out or the spring came loose or as it's a moving part some of the cables inside came loose....I'm assuming it's not going to be cheap to fix outside of warranty.
  • Sirch
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Not necessarily damaged in the way I have suggested, but it's go to be spring loaded, possibly with a clip or magnet holding it in place within the earphone, what if this wore out or the spring came loose or as it's a moving part some of the cables inside came loose....I'm assuming it's not going to be cheap to fix outside of warranty.

Probably not going to be cheap to fix. I would be more concerned with the 2.5mm headphone jack input. They haven't really changed how they're made and tend to wear out over time.

Hey, purchase it on an American Express or Visa Signature card and they'll extend the warranty by 1 year. So you'll have 2 years of warranty coverage. I do it with all of my electronics.
  • Swanny32
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Probably not going to be cheap to fix. I would be more concerned with the 2.5mm headphone jack input. They haven't really changed how they're made and tend to wear out over time.

Hey, purchase it on an American Express or Visa Signature card and they'll extend the warranty by 1 year. So you'll have 2 years of warranty coverage. I do it with all of my electronics.

Not really an option for me I don't think as I'm in the UK.

Call me picky, but if I'm in the market for a headset that is going to cost me £140 then I want to know the ins and outs of what will happen down the line if I run into problems with it.
  • bishop007
    bishop007 Posts: 6
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Is there any audio processing done in the controller adapter? Or is it just the generic adapter provided by Microsoft?
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    Options
    bishop007 wrote: »
    Is there any audio processing done in the controller adapter? Or is it just the generic adapter provided by Microsoft?

The system does all the audio processing in the XB1 (no matter what headset you buy).

The headphones do no processing. In theory this means that all headsets for the X1 should be cheaper than the 360 or the PS3/4 as the X1 does not require an external sound mixer/eq
  • Shuflie
    Shuflie Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hello Shuflie,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. I'm not sure I can offer the best opinion on comparing the 8000 versus the gaming style headphones since I've not heard those. Nor am I a game player (except chess). I bought a pair of the 8000 and think very highly of them, great sounding, comfortable and non-fatiguing. I've also heard the Buckle and find them very good sounding, as well.
    I don't believe I would ever have been able to predict the wide assortment of different headphone applications that have developed in the past five years or so. I guess each headphone comes with strengths that apply to each application it was intended for.
    Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken, I think I'll hold off on buying until I read a few hands on reviews or get to try them out myself.
  • Sirch
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Amazon has dropped the Black headset down to $139ish on the Melee. Hell of a deal since they'll essentially be the 4Shot once the adapter is released.
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Amazon has dropped the Black headset down to $139ish on the Melee. Hell of a deal since they'll essentially be the 4Shot once the adapter is released.

I wish that was on amazon.ca as well. I would get bestbuy in Canada to match. (I have $200 in Bestbuy Gift Cards)
  • johny3
    johny3 Posts: 3
    edited February 2014
    Options
    quick question about the melee vs. 4shot.
    the 4shot mentions:
    "Polk Optimized Electro-acoustic Tuning (POET) delivers legendary Polk sound in a headphone: rich, immersive and realistic"

Is this an improvement over the melee?
  • regnaston
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Polk has said the headset is the same...the difference lies in the fact that the Melee comes equipped for the 360 whereas the 4Shot does not
This discussion has been closed.