Parasound Model 5125 - how to connect channels

msg
msg Posts: 9,308
edited January 2014 in Electronics
I was just browsing Parasound amps and came across the Model 5125, 5ch.
How does one connect this? Are preouts from an AVR or Preamp singles or doubles?

http://parasound.com/vintage/5125.php

5125_rear_577.jpg
I disabled signatures.
Post edited by msg on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2014
    Singles.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    edited January 2014
    cool, thanks.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited January 2014
    so how does one connect this to the 5125, since the preouts are L+R channels? with y-cables, or some proprietary cable from Parasound?
    sorry, I'm new to home audio amplifiers.

Screen shot 2014-01-16 at 8.43.52 AM.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • Obsession18
    Obsession18 Posts: 191
    edited January 2014
    The pic of the AVR appears to be a 9.1 channel setup, the 5125 is a 5 channel amp, so only 5 outgoing channels on the AVR can be used. Most people run a 5.1 channel setup, for example the front L and R would go to channel 1 and 2, the center to channel 3 and surround L and R would go the channels 4 and 5, the .1 channel is the subwoofer.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited January 2014
    The pic of the AVR appears to be a 9.1 channel setup, the 5125 is a 5 channel amp, so only 5 outgoing channels on the AVR can be used. Most people run a 5.1 channel setup, for example the front L and R would go to channel 1 and 2, the center to channel 3 and surround L and R would go the channels 4 and 5, the .1 channel is the subwoofer.

Picture as described above, as F1 mentioned single RCA cables
    5_1.JPG 161.5K
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2014
    You need five rca interconnect cables. Connect one from the AVR's front red (right front speaker) to the amp's input which is closest to your front right speaker. I mean it doesn't matter where it goes on the amp as long as your speaker wire is synced up with the matching interconnect, but I like to run them in a certain orientation. Anyway, you're just connecting one speaker at a time with the rca interconnects. Red is considered right except for the center, which doesn't matter. So the AVR's "front" red output is for your right front speaker. Connect that to your amp and make sure you run the speaker wire from its matching speaker wire terminal. And so on.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited January 2014
    nbrowser wrote: »
    txcoastal, excellent graphic, could be helpful for others too.

+1. Nice visual to help the guy out.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • msg
    edited January 2014
    ah, I see. yeah, the L&R's threw me off. but yeah, that's the from the back of an SC-1222-k
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Picture as described above, as F1 mentioned single RCA cables
    ahhhh man! that's AWESOME!!!
    what program did you use for that? I use a screen capture utility that works pretty well called FastStone, but yours looks better!
    You need five rca interconnect cables. Connect one from the AVR's front red (right front speaker) to the amp's input which is closest to your front right speaker. I mean it doesn't matter where it goes on the amp as long as your speaker wire is synced up with the matching interconnect, but I like to run them in a certain orientation. Anyway, you're just connecting one speaker at a time with the rca interconnects. Red is considered right except for the center, which doesn't matter. So the AVR's "front" red output is for your right front speaker. Connect that to your amp and make sure you run the speaker wire from its matching speaker wire terminal. And so on.
    yeah, I got mixed up seeing it like this and didn't see how it works. I was thinking a bunch of separate single RCA cables, when really you can still use the standard pair ones, I think.
    nbrowser wrote: »
    txcoastal, excellent graphic, could be helpful for others too.
    yeah, that's pretty nice.
    I disabled signatures.
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited January 2014
    Yes you can use the paired RCA's and just use a one side of a pair or just pull a pair apart for the center
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited January 2014
    msg wrote: »
    ahhhh man! that's AWESOME!!!
    what program did you use for that? I use a screen capture utility that works pretty well called FastStone, but yours looks better!

Glad it helped.....I just copied the images to Word Doc, converted it to PDF, then used Adobe Acrobat tools for the arrows, the used MS snipping tool and saved as JPeg took a couple minutes...but a picture is worth a thousand words
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2014
    If he's referring to the standard red and white paired cables that come with cheap electronics....throw those out, garbage. Get 5 Signal cable analog 2's and tell them your a member here for a discount. Or have Doug from Douglasconnections.com set you up, he has good quality and won't break the bank.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    edited January 2014
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Glad it helped.....I just copied the images to Word Doc, converted it to PDF, then used Adobe Acrobat tools for the arrows, the used MS snipping tool and saved as JPeg took a couple minutes...but a picture is worth a thousand words
    ah jeez man, that looks way more 'finished' than that. I'd have sworn you were using a proprietary screen capture program :)
    but yeah, agreed, I use screencaps all the time for informational messages. 'preciate it, that was good stuff.
    tonyb wrote: »
    If he's referring to the standard red and white paired cables that come with cheap electronics....throw those out, garbage. Get 5 Signal cable analog 2's and tell them your a member here for a discount. Or have Doug from Douglasconnections.com set you up, he has good quality and won't break the bank.
    hahaha, okay, I'll look into those. that much better?
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2014
    Better ? Don't make me spit coffee at the 'puter screen friend. Yes....better.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2014
    LOL.....any cable is better than those generic patch cords.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    edited January 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    Better ? Don't make me spit coffee at the 'puter screen friend. Yes....better.
    LOL, okay okay
    F1nut wrote: »
    LOL.....any cable is better than those generic patch cords.
    haha, okay, got it. so I have a lot more to look forward to then is what you're saying. sucks. I got a whole box of those... prob 17 dollars worth!
    I disabled signatures.
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited January 2014
    The "cheap ****" cables will ""work" but will you get the best sound? Oh hell no! There is a long road down the raabit hole with cables, you're sure to have a lot of fun.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2014
    I would advise you to do some blind testing on cables before you get carried away with the idea. The fact that cables are debated so vigorously is rather revealing, even if the cables aren't. No one, or very few, would argue that speakers matter. Before you buy a thousand dollar strip of jacketed wire, really think about it and, like I said, do some blind listening with a few different cables to get a feel for what the wires do, and don't do. But most importantly, YOU be the judge.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Obsession18
    edited January 2014
    msg - The Signal cable analog 2's in my opinion will be the last cables you will ever buy, a set of five (4’ length) will set you back about $300, you will have to spend significantly more to get a small improvement over the analog 2’s. Don’t get caught up in cable hype, the Signal Cable stuff is first rate. Those cheap patch cords need to go, everyone will agree on that.
    2-Channel System
  • Obsession18
    edited January 2014
    msg - The Signal cable analog 2's in my opinion will be the last cables you will ever buy, a set of five (4’ length) will set you back about $300, you will have to spend significantly more to get a small improvement over the analog 2’s. Don’t get caught up in cable hype, the Signal Cable stuff is first rate. Those cheap patch cords need to go, everyone will agree on that.

I got my math wrong on the Signal cable analog 2's its $150 for five 4' cables.
    2-Channel System
  • msg
    Not quite sure how I stumbled across one of my first posts, but jeez, was I embarrassingly clueless(er).
    I disabled signatures.
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    We all started out that way - you are in good company.