Set of Polk VM-30's

DollarDave
DollarDave Posts: 2,575
I'm interested in a set of VM-30's. Prefer Black, but the Titanium would be okay. I am near Houston.
Post edited by DollarDave on

Comments

• DollarDave
    edited January 2014
    DaveMuell wrote: »
    I'm interested in a set of VM-30's. Prefer Black, but the Titanium would be okay. I am near Houston.

I want to expand the search to include VM-20s, RM7400T, RM40T, RM50T, and RM8000T - pretty much all of the narrow towers models.
  • DollarDave
    edited January 2014
    One and only bump.
  • DollarDave
    edited January 2014
    Thanks, Carl. I've been tracking those and may end up pulling the trigger this weekend if something doesn't come up.
  • D_M
    D_M Posts: 175
    edited January 2014
    Dave,

I have the RM8000Ts, RM7302,& (4) RM6901s all in the titanium finish. I would like to sell it all to someone as a complete system. I think it makes an excellent system. I still have the original boxes for the RM8000Ts and the RM7302. The 6901s would come with omnimounts attached. I would sell the complete system for $600 + shipping. I ran the system with a Rotel 993B and a Denon 4306
  • DollarDave
    edited January 2014
    D_M, that's sounds very intriguing. I'd like to give it a little thought - will get back to you via PM within a few days.
  • D_M
    edited January 2014
    Dave,

No problem. I'll probably officially start listing my items next weekend via craig's list, e-bay and the forsale section. I still have the 993B and the 4306. I'm assuming that you are all sorted out in that department, but I would part with the other two for $650. If it is all going to the same home, I would be willing to split the shipping cost as well. You asked for 2 speakers, and now you're getting a whole system thrown at you!!!!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,891
    edited January 2014
    http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4283181289.html

Not the 20's or 30's but the first time I have ever seen this series on CL..
  • DollarDave
    edited May 2014
    D_M, do you still have the RM8000T's?
  • D_M
    edited May 2014
    Yes I do Dave. I didn't list the items when I said I would. They are currently listed on EBAY, but I can end the auction if you want them.
  • DollarDave
    edited May 2014
    Yes, please send the link. I don't find it via search for some reason.

[Edit] Scratch that - I found them.
  • DollarDave
    edited May 2014
    D_M wrote: »
    Yes I do Dave. I didn't list the items when I said I would. They are currently listed on EBAY, but I can end the auction if you want them.

If you decide to break up the set, I would get more interested. Shipping on the entire set shows to be $100 and that is impugning my enthusiasm.
  • D_M
    edited May 2014
    I understand where you are coming from. My $100 shipping number was just a swag, so I went to the UPS site for an actually estimate. Without the other speakers, each RM8000T still has a shipping weight of 42lbs. From 20705 to 77491, the UPS site gave me a quote of $111.48. Obviously, I took a guess at your zipcode. Dave, I was offering it as a set because the other speakers really compliments the system. Can you actually use the RM7302 center? I'm concerned about orphaning the 7302 center. It really only looks aesthetically pleasing with the larger RM tower speakers. I would be willing to do $400 for the towers and the center, but shipping will be $134.09 according to the UPS site.
  • DollarDave
    edited May 2014
    Actually I do have an RM7302 paired with a set of RM7400T's. I'll let you know on this, but as of right now, I am done with Polk speakers. I have 20 Polk pairs, centers, and subs all said and done, but last week I was informed that they do not supply replacement drivers for the 7302 (and others with the same RD6532-1 drivers) and that I can purchase something else at a 50% discount instead. Well, that sucks as you can't buy a current center that is timbre matched to this series, much less a matching style. With one bad driver, I have 3 fairly expensive speakers that are useless.

To say I am disappointed in Polk customer service is an understatement. I know I will get flamed for that statement, but in my experience, it was much better several years ago.

I know, I know, most speaker companies don't carry replacement drivers for past models, etc., etc. The fact remains, for my sets of Polks that are over 20 and 30 years old, I can. That's why I kept buying Polks.
  • D_M
    edited May 2014
    Dave,

What caveats were associated with " can purchase something else at a 50% discount"? Did you inquire if you wanted to move to another line, whether the entire line would be discounted?
  • DollarDave
    edited May 2014
    The caveat was 50% off the RETAIL price of a speaker of my choice. Well, I can't timbre or style match what I have, and 50% off retail doesn't mean anything to me as all I need is a $50 driver, not a couple hundred dollar 1/2 price center channel.
  • D_M
    edited May 2014
    Dave,

You might not be ready to spend a lot of money now, but you might get the itch in the future. I believe Polk's own website talks about the importance of timbre matching. You no longer have a timbre match set, so they might extend the offer for a future upgrade. You could potentially get the friends & family offer for an entire system upgrade, if you choose to do so.
  • DollarDave
    edited June 2014
    Thought I would follow-up on this thread. Out of the blue, I received a charge to my card and a shipping notice for the driver and the two RDO-198's I had ordered back in January.

Weird.

They were out of production (presumably forever based on my conversations and e-mails) and then, bang, without any correspondence, they send me the driver. Still no correspondence from them about what changed, or whether or not I still wanted it. I did, but this was strange that they just charged and sent it.

Good thing I still had the center. The basket was tweaked on the replacement driver, but I was able to re-align it and it works fine.