my new 797

eaadams
eaadams Posts: 213
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
k I just unpacked my onkyo 797. As you all know i have been rantin and raving about the lack of maple speakers for awhile so I amm thinking that I may just go to circut city and get 35i's in maple or black. Then do the upgrade when 55i become available again. I will also get the 400i from crutchfield using the msn deal. (today last day)

Good idea, bad idea? Is a 35 or 55 optimal for the onkyo 797 as far as power?

I need lots o replies and lots o opinions FAST please!
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2001
    what is the msn deal?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    yes, what is the msn deal? and also, if you are a first time customer to crutchfield, i can give you my # and you'll get $25 off. don't know if you know about that deal, but it can help. let me know if you're interested...
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2001
    You should be fine using a receiver with any of the Polk speakers, especially a nice one like that Onkyo. So to answer your question, yes, you'll be fine using that receiver with the RT35i or RT55i.

Aaron
  • eaadams
    edited December 2001
    right but my question is would the 35i's be "under dooing it"
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    I don't think power really comes in to the equation, to be honest. My personal opinion is that the RT35i is a great speaker and will handle all the power your reciever can dish out. The plus to the 35 is better detail than the 55. The 55 however, is big, plays loud, goes lower.

So my answer is that your receiver is a non-factor.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    either will work fine/neither will be under-doing it, depends on which you like the sound from better...
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2001
    Dude what is the MSN deal??

Thanks
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • eaadams
    edited December 2001
    MSN deal: expires today, go to msn shopping use their holiday bonus. Get 20% check in the mail from microsoft up to $100.
  • eaadams
    edited December 2001
    Oh no today is the 21st! The msn deal is OVER!

I did not audjust my watch right!

DAMMIT!!!!!

DAMIT TO HELL!
  • eaadams
    edited December 2001
    This is the SECOND YEAR this has happened!

DAMMIT!

I need a watch that knows how many days in a month!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIII
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2001
    Eaadams, I have had that reciever for about a year now.
    My set up:
    rt1000's--mains
    cs400----center
    fx500i----side surround
    cs245i----rear surround
    psw1200--front sub.
    Bosten VR500--rear sub.
    And the Onkyo787 can push them to there limits.
    It rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plenty of power.
    Later

:p
  • fknfsm
    fknfsm Posts: 4
    edited December 2001
    Just got my system set up a few days ago with the 797 and 55i's. Plenty of power, sounds great, no complaints.

Got a question of my own. The 797 manual says not to run more than one speaker wire from each terminal but I would like to bi-wire my 55i's. Is this just Onkyo being cautious for the masses or is there something I'm missing that could damage my receiver?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • eaadams
    edited December 2001
    scottvamp that is a HUGE system. I bet it pounds.

I got some 35i's from circut city and will upgrade uppon my return from DC in March. Had a long talk with the CC speaker guy, he is a polk fan. He told me that they had a polk rep come into the store and brief them on the new stuff. He couldn't say much but he did say that we should keep an eye on CC to have the LSi as the rep hinted that to him.

fknfsm there is a section in the manual about running the rear center in parallel , or is it something else.... I duno but read that section.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2001
    fkmfsm, ya I ran my cs400 biwire with my Onkyo and it worked just fine. You are correct, Onkyo is just being cautious with putting mutiple wires in one output. Just make sure the power is turned off. They do make pre-made biwires which only have one combined wire going into the reciever but I found them to be very expensive. Hope this helps, Later :)
  • fknfsm
    fknfsm Posts: 4
    edited December 2001
    Thanks Scottvamp. I looked into the pre-made bi-wires myself and came to pretty much the same conclusion concerning the cost. Ouch!

Dave
  • gene stangel
    gene stangel Posts: 35
    edited December 2001
    Just noticed that Circuit City raised prices on RT25, 35, & 55 based to old retail. I think perhaps their stock is low & one last grab for bucks. Disgusting. Crutchfield is still at sale price.