Moved to car audio thread: DXI5251?

Options
jtorre4272
jtorre4272 Posts: 9
edited December 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi folks, I am new to the Polk forums. I maved have posted originaly to the wrong location as I got no replies.

I have a classic Porsche that I am in the process of upgrading to have a well-rounded sound system. Several enthusiast members of our private Porsche forum recommended Polk. Well, I took the plunge and ordered a set of DXI6501's (Latest model with new woofer material) for my rear fill. Problem with these components is that I can't seem to find their mating 5.25" equivalent for my front doors?!? I saw their DB6501 line, but would prefer to keep everything as the DXI line. The existing DXI 5.25" component version for sale today appears to be last year's model.

So, is there anyone out there who can tell me not to worry, the DXI line in new 5.25" components is on its way? or should I simply return the DXIs I ordered and switch to the DB series completely? Everything I am reading tells me the DXI has the edge overall, but I will reserve judgement until I have all the facts.

Cheers

Joe T.
Post edited by jtorre4272 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2013
    Options
    There may not be a new 5.25 component version coming out as that's not that big a selling item. You can get the coaxial DXi521 model which will be just as good. They're the same mid and tweeter that's in the coaxial version, it's just a separate tweet with a passive crossover.

If it has to be component, go ahead with the DXi5250 and enjoy. They're excellent entry level speakers as well.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jtorre4272
    jtorre4272 Posts: 9
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Thanks Macleod.

Am I correct to assume the DXI is a better line compared to the DB?

Also, I did some looking and called an online vendor recently. Apparently the latest coaxial DXIs coming out use a new less-performing aluminum tweeter, however the component versions still retain the composite design. I can look at the specs, but this is what the salesman said.

The Porsche originally included a 10 speaker sound system, which I am trying to retain by massaging the openings in the front doors. In order to get similar impedance, I was planning to run a DXI350 in series with the DXI525, but in order to do so, I would have to carefully extract the tweeter from the 350. The upper door panel already incldes a tweeter which I would like to replace with a polk component.

I guess I am wondering if anyone has cut out the tweeter on any coaxial Polk speaker and if they have any tips? I found one person who did this online, but he didnt leave any detail as to how. I also plan to remove the tweeter grilles as they would be redundant to the original factory grille (Both the woofer and tweeter in the rear are housed behind a trapezoidal looking frame.)

fyi, I need to remove the tweeters from the woofers for clearance reasons as they would interfere with the the factory door panel grates. Otherwise, I would just unhook their terminals and be done with it.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Yeah the DXi's are a little better than the DB's although not by much. The DB's have been around a long time and are excellent entry level speakers.

The impedance would be the same so no real reason to worry about that. If youre going to use the factory amp and all that, just get the last generation DXi's component system and youll be set. The differences wont be anything to worry about.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D