lsim 704 over 706?

Options
skky
skky Posts: 26
edited December 2013 in Speakers
Hi all,I'm currently contemplating buying the 704c to match my lsim 703, but am wondering if I'm missing out by not going with the 706?I have never use a center before so have idea what to look for in a good one, and thus have no way of discerning between the two.I'm also from canada so I haven't been able to find a place to demo them.

On another note, I recently spurge on a submersive, does anyone here think that, it is way to overpowering for my lsim 703?
Post edited by skky on

Comments

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Polk list the 704 as a match for the 703. However, IMO.....the center handles a lot so the bigger the better. Having the larger drivers and enclosure should help keep the low end clean at higher output levels. If you have the space and are willing to pay the difference then go for it.

As far as the Seaton...as I understand it...upper bass dynamics is a strong point as well as the low end that the sub is known for. So, it sounds like you will have bass on reserve at all frequencies. I would make sure an eq is a part of the equation.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • skky
    edited December 2013
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Polk list the 704 as a match for the 703. However, IMO.....the center handles a lot so the bigger the better. Having the larger drivers and enclosure should help keep the low end clean at higher output levels. If you have the space and are willing to pay the difference then go for it.

As far as the Seaton...as I understand it...upper bass dynamics is a strong point as well as the low end that the sub is known for. So, it sounds like you will have bass on reserve at all frequencies. I would make sure an eq is a part of the equation.

thank you sir for your knowledge, if only the 704 wasn't sale right now><I can get it for 599 while the 706 goes for 1299, it is very hard for me to swallow at the moment.As for the eq, what do you recommend?I currently have a denon x4000, but I know some people use separate eq.
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    edited December 2013
    Options
    You could use the Denon's built in bass management/crossover if you connect your subwoofer through the subwoofer out/LFE out. If you use any other connection you can use the EQ built into your subwoofer to have it kick in at a frequency where your lsim703s start to fall off.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2013
    Options
    What subwoofer has an EQ built in ? Do you mean crossover ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    edited December 2013
    Options
    skky wrote: »
    I can get it for 599 while the 706 goes for 1299.
    HUGE price difference......One can pick up an the 704 and an OPPO 103D for that kind of money.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Eh.... I would still go with the 706 as I think its worth it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Unless you have a stupid 9 inch wide mantle as the only place you can mount your center... *grumble*
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited December 2013
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Unless you have a stupid 9 inch wide mantle as the only place you can mount your center... *grumble*

Man up and remove the fireplace Ryan... thats all I gotta say :wink: Or replace the Mantle with a big old piece of old barn post
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WLDock
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Eh.... I would still go with the 706 as I think its worth it.
    Yeah, I would go with the 706 myself but not for $1300! $839.97 refurb or $650 used on eBay is much better!
  • skky
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Yeah, I would go with the 706 myself but not for $1300! $839.97 refurb or $650 used on eBay is much better!

I agree,I'm from canada so we get ripped bad,not everyday is there a sale that matches our us counterpart.I'll still wait till it goes 999 or something,or maybe just get another lsim 703 as a matching.
  • pretzelfisch
    pretzelfisch Posts: 160
    edited December 2013
    Options
    If you set your cross over to 80 the 704 is ok, it's what I have. But if you want a lower cross over you need the 706.
  • skky
    edited December 2013
    Options
    If you set your cross over to 80 the 704 is ok, it's what I have. But if you want a lower cross over you need the 706.

so what if I set it to 80?Does the sub takes over the lower frequency?Or the side speakers?Either way the sale is done but I expect it to be back during christmas day/boxing day.

Also I heard that vertical centers are better than horizontal,how do you think your 704 stacks up vs your l and R speakers?
  • pretzelfisch
    pretzelfisch Posts: 160
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Your sub would pickup the lower frequencies. I think it have better off axis imaging. I would probably have chosen another 703 for the center if I was getting the right price for it. My r/l are now 705s.
  • WLDock
    edited December 2013
    Options
    skky wrote: »
    I agree,I'm from canada so we get ripped bad,not everyday is there a sale that matches our us counterpart.I'll still wait till it goes 999 or something,or maybe just get another lsim 703 as a matching.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LSiM706c-CHERRY-Center-Channel-Speaker-Polk-Audio-EACH-/360767836689?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item53ff705211

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LSiM706c-BLACK-Center-Channel-Speaker-Polk-Audio-EACH-/390501569135?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5aebb5126f
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    edited December 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    What subwoofer has an EQ built in ? Do you mean crossover ?

Sorry, After tweaking the parametric EQ on my subwoofer it was the term that stuck in my head. Crossover is what I should have said.
    As for subwoofers with a PEQ, off of the top of my head I know Rythmik and some SVS subs have them.
  • skky
    edited December 2013
    Options

Is there a icon for total,utterly shock???**** **** ***** bleep**** .Man I did not know that you can buy polk refurb in canada...I'm pretty sure this was only recent as I couldn't do so back in march as I recalled.
  • WLDock
    edited December 2013
    Options
    well, I did not see the import charges plus shipping...Looks like it would cost about $1060.
  • skky
    edited December 2013
    Options
    well, I did not see the import charges plus shipping...Looks like it would cost about $1060.

Important charges?What is that?All I see is a hawt deal lol.That is how much we canadians get ripped.Anyway thanks for the link,ill def purchase down the road,as my toy fund is pretty low after the sub purchase lol.