I've been Salked

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited December 2013 in Speakers
Salk SoundScape 8's in black limba to be exact. Used but in excellent condition. I've had and thoroughly‎ enjoyed my InnerSound Eros MK III hybrid ESL's for what, 7, 8 years? Sometimes we chase different and call it better; sometimes we just want change. The Raal tweeter and Accutron midrange along with the option of dipoling the mid driver is the big draw.

I'm looking at an 11 hour round trip or freight charges. The desire to see the Salk compound is strong and may push me into a road trip.

ss8-blacklimba.jpg
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Listened to those at RMAF, one of the better sounds especially in the price range.

Would love to hear your opinion when you get them settled in, as I am looking at a used pair of Sanders model 10 which I was highly impressed with too.

Congrats
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Are you sure those aren't white van speakers!!! :cheesygrin: :smile:. I kid, I kid.

Very, very nice. They are beautiful and I bet Jasper is happy too, now he will have a new place to roost!

Can't wait to hear them!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited November 2013
    Options
    For a speaker of this caliber, make the drive! I'm from MI myself. I moved from Southfield, MI (15 minutes away from Saulk in Pontiac) to NW Indiana (Crown Point) for my job last year. I just recently heard of Saulk and now their SongSeries are high on my list of speakers I want to listen to. I've been on the lookout for a chance to check them out....hoping for another open house w/ the SouthEast MI Audio Club or something like that.

Anyway, I might as well throw this out there.....you are about an hour away from me. If you ever have an open listening session, I would love to listen to those. What is interesting is I hope to build a set of speakers with a similar TMWW design as the SoundScapes....the Mini Statements. They use a ribbon tweeter, titanium 4" open back midrange, dual 7" ported woofers. http://speakerdesignworks.com/MiniStatements.html What's even more crazy is, I was looking at the Saulk website not too long ago and fell in love with his cabinets. Now I want to have something that looks like that! Not sure what my capabilities are. LOL!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Salk it to ya', baby! Stunning!
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2013
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Listened to those at RMAF, one of the better sounds especially in the price range.

Would love to hear your opinion when you get them settled in, as I am looking at a used pair of Sanders model 10 which I was highly impressed with too.

Congrats

Thanks for the kind words!

Currently I own the InnerSound Eros MK III. They are close to the Model 10 Sanders as they use the same near indestructible lifetime warranty Ultrastat panel. Immune to pet fur, bugs and dust and will play loud if desired (I’ve been over 115-120dB SPL to rock out for a couple minutes). The panels present a capacitive load so amp choice is important.

Differences are the InnerSound Eros MK II and III used a 600WPC @ 4 Ohms analog active crossover bass amp versus a digital xover for the Sanders Model 10. SEAS no longer makes the same exact 10” high excursion woofer used in the InnerSound line which allowed for a higher xover point that integrated a little better with the panel. The Model 10’s are crossed at 192Hz and the digital xover allows use of a steeper slope (48dB octave versus 24dB) which puts more frequencies into the panel so they do sound a bit better. The model 10’s are also modular in construction making them easier to ship. Transmission line bass module is same design and provides great bass.

The ESL panel gives you a di-pole sound. The soundstage is quite expansive with great imaging. I tend to treat behind the panels and minimize the back wave which makes the sweet spot smaller but I like the results. Most "box" type speakers will not provide the same soundstage but can be more dynamic in the mids. The SS8's aren't a classic open baffle speaker, but you have the option to open the back of the mid driver. How much ‘open’ determines the amount of ambience you get. To me it is a case of what sound you like better. The ESL’s lasted 7-8 years here, the longest of any speaker I owned.

Brock, I’ll rent a silver one… Say, remember the SDA’s you bought from Norm down in Bloomington; they were from a white van! ;)

WLDock, we have music get togethers every now and then, I’ll keep it in mind and let you know. If not I’m home most weekends. Just pick a weekend once I get them dialed in and PM me to see if we will be around.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Rich, make sure to test them with some Skrillex and GANGSTA RAP!!!!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2013
    Options
    LOL Bangarang!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2013
    Options
    And here I thought you were getting a Polio booster shot! Getting Salked?

They certainly look "big" and "imposing". The question for me has always been, does putting a LOT of drivers and ever more "complex" crossovers in a large tower speaker make things better or just more difficult. So I guess hearing is believing?

I'm from the school that believes in fewer drivers and fewer crossovers. When I look at the crossover work some of you do here I often wonder, is that "really" necessary?

You know, "point" source", coaxial drivers, full range drivers, etc.? Or keep it "simple"!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2013
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    LOL Bangarang!

And don't forget roughneck bass... And equinox (first of the year).

Hehehe
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Also a fan of Salk, and Jim Salk couldn't be more of a nice guy. Congrats on the speakers Rich, I'm sure you'll dig what you hear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Thanks! We'll hear what happens once they are in my room. I may have to rearrange present treatments or add some. I may have to get a different amp. My Sanders A/B amp sounded good with some box speakers and some sounded too neutral or thin.

Actually they are not that big compared to some floor standers. 40” x 10.5” X 15” deep. Passive radiators on each side, so they are just three way speakers. The ‘8’ designates bass driver size so you can get an idea of scale by the two woofers. There are two larger SoundScape models, 10 and 12 with single bass drivers. Price goes up too.

I guess the idea with multi-way is you can specialize in each area to optimize sound quality along a specific frequency range versus what a single driver would give you. Raal tweeters, Accutron mid driver, extremely low mass, very fast and detailed which results in coming closer to the transparency I enjoyed with my ESL's. True, crossover design becomes more difficult with more ways, and that design will make or break any multi-way loudspeaker. That doesn’t mean they can’t sound good and have folks enjoy them. My uncle loved high efficiency single driver speakers with flea powered tube amps. I don’t. And no matter how ruler flat the frequency response of any speaker or how many drivers, you still have the room interaction to deal with.

+1 to Jim being a good guy.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Other than DIY, you couldn't have done any better for the $...enjoy!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Congrats Rich! I will need to make a trip out to your place real soon to hear these.

Regards,
    Carl

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Congratulations Rich! Enjoy those baby's!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Congrats Rich! Those are some beautiful speakers, love the veneer choice!

I'm currently loving my Salk Veracity ST's. I'd love to get my ears on those 8's one of these days. I'll be home around the holidays and most of Jan.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Thanks! We'll hear what happens once they are in my room. I may have to get a different amp.

Dibs!
  • tonyb
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If you could find a McCormack dna 250 for those puppies used......it would make them sing like crazy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear how the Salks sound with the Sanders Sound ESL amp.
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words!
    Face wrote: »
    Other than DIY, you couldn't have done any better for the $...enjoy!
    Mike, that means a lot coming from you. Thanks for the consult help!
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Congrats Rich! I will need to make a trip out to your place real soon to hear these.
    Carl, anytime!
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    I'd love to get my ears on those 8's one of these days. I'll be home around the holidays and most of Jan.
    It would be great to hook up again Mike! Looking forward to it.
    Dibs!
    Mike, the wife says you can have everything if I go with it…lol
    tonyb wrote: »
    If you could find a McCormack dna 250 for those puppies used......it would make them sing like crazy.
    Tony, great amp but IIRC it doesn’t have balanced input.
    zingo wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear how the Salks sound with the Sanders Sound ESL amp.
    The InnerSound and Sanders ESL amp were primarily designed for ESL’s which like voltage more than current. Not sure what the exact difference is. Roger later designed an amp called the Magtech for his Model 10 speakers with digital crossover for the bass modules and conventional speakers. One fellow over at Audio Circle has one powering his Salk’s and likes it. But at $5500, too much for me at this time.

When Blake was looking into SS amplification for his Revel f52’s, we tried my Sanders ESL amp. Bass and mid bass were better defined than the BAT tube mono blocks but the mids and highs sounded thinner and he kept the BAT’s. When I put the Krell KSA-250 in, top to bottom everything was better and the Krell remained in place. (Blake said I am welcome to return but I can’t bring any gear with…lol). Based on that if the same thing happens with the Salk’s, I’ll probably get another Krell KSA-250 if the Sanders doesn’t work out.

Talk about great customer service from Salk. These speakers were sold at a show, and the owner was downsizing to smaller SongTowers. He gave them to Jim to sell. After I purchased them, Jim said he updated the xovers to current specs. He noticed some scuffs on the base plinths and offered to refinish them. That would delay shipping but I accepted his kind offer. He asked if I happy with the supplied spikes or he would swap with his second design. I was used to great service from Roger at Sanders Sound but was really impressed with Jim doing this for a pair of used speakers.
  • tonyb
    edited November 2013
    Options
    As well you should be Rich, Jim Salk is top notch in an industry of ho-hum. I wish more were like him. I have no problem recommending his speakers, not just because of the great CS and Jim himself, but because his speakers sound damn good too.

Updated the crossovers, refinish the scratches, spikes.....who does that anymore ? Kudo's to Jim and his company, many blessings for great success.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Now you have me adding the Songbirds to my short list of possible bedroom system speakers. *sigh* You guys need to stop spending my money!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonyb
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I had an ear on his older HT3 speakers, damn good too, and they were lookers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Well, how do they sound??
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Hi Mike! Not much sleep, left at 4AM Saturday morn in a rental SUV, an accessory laden 2014 Acadia. Wife came along which was nice. She packed a fabulous lunch with snacks so no stopping for cheap gas station food on the way. (Only thing missing was the wine). Got to Salk ~10EST. Jim gave us a tour and showed us the veneer safe. Wowsa! I've never seen such a collection of fine expensive wood in one place.

My used speakers were packed in brand new boxes. He said since I didn't buy them new, instead of a birth certificate I got an adoption cert. I found it packed with the speakers. It was signed by the Jim, is wife Mary and the crew staff that built and finished them. What a great experience!

The highlight was when he fired up a pair of SoundScape 8's. No fancy showroom, just a large open space, the SS8's intermingled with it's larger and smaller brothers. Powered by an Emo amp, they sounded more than great. What an amazing demo. Big sound, awesome bass. We got home late afternoon, I unpacked them, we ate and I crashed hard ~6PM. Just got up. It will be a fun day!
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Glad you had a safe trip and got the tour you were hoping for. Jim's reputation precedes him. Word of mouth advertising from extraordinary experience is something you can't buy or spin.

Can't wait to hear how the new kids love their new home, Dad. :cool:
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2013
    Options
    So your saying Jim "Salked" it to ya :wink:
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Good for you for making the drive...take your time and report back.

I email him about possible upcoming open house or show...He replied back and stated that they will be at AXPONA in Chicago in April...but said that I am more then welcome to stop by anytime. I really want to see his work in person....and maybe take a listen...LOL!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2013
    Options

Can't wait to hear how the new kids love their new home, Dad. :cool:

The weather is conspiring against me! Severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings in November. Make that confirmed tornados. Bears game cancelled. We are in the basement right now. An F5 in 1990 convinced me to go in the basement when the sirens go off.

I was changing things around with a different rack. Don't need a double wide now. I'll use a flexi rack for now.
    So your saying Jim "Salked" it to ya :wink:

LOL That's a good one Dan! Yes he did!
    WLDock wrote: »
    Good for you for making the drive...take your time and report back.

I email him about possible upcoming open house or show...He replied back and stated that they will be at AXPONA in Chicago in April...but said that I am more then welcome to stop by anytime. I really want to see his work in person....and maybe take a listen...LOL!

Due to the extra work he did (xovers update and refinish bases) I wouldn't have got them by this weekend if they were freighted so it was worth the drive. If you go there, be warned that it will be hard to leave without buying some speakers.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited November 2013
    Options

My used speakers were packed in brand new boxes. He said since I didn't buy them new, instead of a birth certificate I got an adoption cert. I found it packed with the speakers. It was signed by the Jim, is wife Mary and the crew staff that built and finished them. What a great experience!

Very cool!
    The highlight was when he fired up a pair of SoundScape 8's. No fancy showroom, just a large open space, the SS8's intermingled with it's larger and smaller brothers. Powered by an Emo amp, they sounded more than great. What an amazing demo. Big sound, awesome bass.

Does that mean there will be an Emo in your future? :razz:

H9

P.s. Hopefully the severe weather has passed your area. All I got here was some high winds and hail. Neighbor lost the top of one of his trees, don't think it hit the house.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Wave your hand if you're okay, Rich.