Parasound Halo A21

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,185
edited January 2014 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
OK, here is the other part of my down-scaling sale. Selling my BAT VK-30 in another thread, now the Halo A21 needs to go also, so I can replace both with a single high power integrated amp.

I never thought I would sell this amp. I have had it since 2010 and it is everything that I would want/need in a high power amp. It is beautiful, has a clean, detailed, dynamic sound, and has nearly unlimited power. I've never been able to strain it even with my 4-ohm SS-M9. Legendary John Curl overbuilt design. These amps have a reputation for being bulletproof reliable, and can power just about any set of speakers to in-home concert type levels.

Rated 250W x2 into 8 ohms, 400W x 2 into 4 ohms. Weighs more than 70lbs. It is a beastly amp.

I am the second owner. I think the amp is about 5 years old now. No problems in any way with this amp. There is one tiny horizontal scratch on the top left corner (on the plastic corner piece) that cannot be seen in the photo. The other dark vertical mark that you can see in the photo on the left side was just a smudge that wiped off. I cannot see any other flaws to mention. I have the original 'triple-box'/packaging from Parasound, plus all the original items/accessories. I did have to cut/splice the 12v signal cable to extend it when I was using it with my HT receiver.

This amp sells for $2300 new. I'm asking $1500+shipping.

I also have a PS-Audio power cord that I've been using with the Parasound. I think it is the X-Stream Plus, 2M version. I will include that for an extra $60. Otherwise, I will send a basic 15A IEC cord.

I didn't pull it out all the way, but you can see the front face is pretty much flawless.

PB0613511280x960.jpg
PB0613501280x960.jpg
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• billbillw
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I pretty much always give Polkies first crack at my gear, but I will also be listing these on USaudiomart and AudioCircle after I give the forum a few days to get it first. Of course, local buyers are welcome to audition.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how far are you from Newnan/Sharpsburg area?
  • billbillw
    edited November 2013
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how far are you from Newnan/Sharpsburg area?

Its about 40 miles from me to the Sharpsburg-McCollum Exit on 85 (by way of Cascade Palmetto Hwy/Hwy 92).
    About an hour drive.
  • billbillw
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Bump with a Polkie price adjustment, $1400+shipping for club members that have been around for more than a year.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I feel like it's Groundhog Day. :(

The Dodd, now this. :(
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • billbillw
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Hate to be flakey, but I've decided to hold on to this combo for now.
    The sale is off.
  • billbillw
    edited December 2013
    Options
    OK...Some further thought and the sale is back on. Same price and conditions as before.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Very nice gear at good prices. Tough time of year to sell i think. Can't move anything myself.
  • billbillw
    edited December 2013
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Very nice gear at good prices. Tough time of year to sell i think. Can't move anything myself.

Price it right and things move...there are single guys that are sitting on their Christmas Bonuses ;)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2013
    Options
    That's a hell of a deal, and I'd a bought it when you first listed it, if I was in the market.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited December 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    There will be a boom again after Christmas. I don't think too many wives shop at the Polk Flea Market.

Funny story, I provide mine a list of items from the Flea market that I would like actually... does she roll her eyes and probably shred the list when I look away, likely.

I may have even provided phone numbers/contact info to the people selling those items should I have it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited December 2013
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Price it right and things move...there are single guys that are sitting on their Christmas Bonuses ;)

+1 Everything will sell if priced at what the market will bear. Not referring specifically to this listing, but the deals of the old days just aren't being presented lately. $1500 for this piece is pretty darn good, but will have a limited audience no matter the time of year or economy. Other offerings out here recently...meh, not so much. Lot's of comments like "that's a great price...I'd buy it if I was in the market"...or, "this won't last long..".. well, like I said, unless it is a specialty item or it will have a select audience because of it's market value (this Parasound), many of the items are being priced comparably to what is available elsewhere (including new price sometimes).
  • billbillw
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Just want to be sure that everyone is noticing that the price was lowered in Post #5 to $1400+shipping for Polkies that have been around for at least a year. I would likely offer that price to anyone newer who is actually contributing to the forum.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2013
    Options
    If it wasn't for a bunch of "must do's" this spring on the house, this pup would be warming my livingroom.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • billbillw
    edited December 2013
    Options
    It actually runs pretty cool Steve :wink:
    Just warm to the touch even after hours of playing.
  • billbillw
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Since my preamp is gone, I was 'bored' and took this out and snapped some better photos. I'm not sure what flaw I was seeing before, but looking closer now, I can't see any flaws to mention other than some dust. Solid 8/10 for age only.

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/billbillw/slideshow/VK30/Parasound%20A21
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I would love to compare this to the aleph 30. But Santa won't be that nice this year. GLWTS.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • bikerboy
    edited December 2013
    Options
    PM sent
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • billbillw
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Sold to our fine member in Seattle.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Beautiful amp...great sale.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • gigbyt
    gigbyt Posts: 145
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Congrats on the sale!!!!!!!!
    Would love to hear new owners opinion vs the pass amp..................
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited December 2013
    Options
    me too... and then i would love to have the Pass....:-)
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • bikerboy
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Well I hope the A21 will sound better than the Aleph! I hope it can drive the 2.3s and have no complaints about bass. If so you will see the Pass here soon.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I had an A21 that powered my Polks SRS 2.3s with no problem at all! Good luck!
    Carl

• billbillw
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I would say the Aleph and the Parasound are an apples/oranges comparison. With a set of really high efficiency speakers, I'd expect the Aleph to be very sweet. With big current loving SRS, the Halo should be at home.
  • bikerboy
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Yeh like a 2 liter vs a 10 liter!
  • bikerboy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The A-21 arrived a-ok. It's warming up now. Sounds great. Thanks Bill.
  • billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    The A-21 arrived a-ok. It's warming up now. Sounds great. Thanks Bill.

Glad to hear it arrived safe. I am still waiting for a replacement...which by the way is going to ship from Bellevue!
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    edited January 2014
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    Well I hope the A21 will sound better than the Aleph! I hope it can drive the 2.3s and have no complaints about bass. If so you will see the Pass here soon.

The A21 will have no problems driving the 2.3TL's. I drove mine with an A51 and it handled them with ease. Sweet amp and smooth as silk! You will enjoy it!

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050