Polk 360 Surround Bar Wiring?

Options
Tarheelblue
Tarheelblue Posts: 9
I've talked to Polk on the phone and they can't give me an answer (I didn't think they would). In 2009 I purchased a 360 surround Bar that had the console (Amp) with it. Now 4 years later the console has given up the ghost but I I love the sound of the sound bar and it is mounted on top of my tv and looks great. I have ordered a receiver/amp and would love to reuse the bar. Polk uses a proprietary cable on the sound bar to console. There are four sets of pinouts (vertically), pins #1 and pins #4 look like they are right and left speaker channels and pins #2 and #3 appear to be center channel speakers. Has anyone done this or know if that is the way I should wire them to the new receiver. I am assuming I'd wire the pair of pins #1 and #4 to right and left front and double up #2 and #3 as center channel. I will also reused my Mirage sub with this bar, they really sound good together. Any advice or info would be appreciated.
Post edited by Tarheelblue on

Comments

• kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited October 2013
    Options
    What does "given up the ghost" mean? Does it power up, but no sound? Did you check the fuse? ...

If it is dead, and you are committed to trying to hook up a different amp, then it looks to me like:
    A) You will need to verify which pins go to which speaker inside your surroundbar.
    It says that your surround bar is SDA (Stereo Dimensional Array) so if it like the 'regular' SDA speakers, two (sets?) of the speakers are "Dimentional" (for the SDA effect) and two (sets?) are "regular" fronts. (There are 8-2 1/2" speakers total)
    I don't think there is a "center" per se.

B) I don't know for sure if the crossover is in the receiver or in the speaker. My "best quess" is that the crossover is in the receiver, since the signal is split before the connection.

So then you would need to have the signal go through the crossover BEFORE it goes to the speakers.

From a review I found on it: Externally, it looks similar to the original Polk Audio SurroundBar we reviewed in 2005. Like that model--and subsequent Polk SurroundBars--the 360 version uses Polk's proprietary "SDA Surround" technology (Stereo Dimensional Array). Remove the grille, and you'll notice the eight separate 2.5-inch speaker drivers are evenly grouped at both ends, with nothing in the middle.
    and
    A single 15-foot umbilical cable connects the speaker bar to the head unit, which Polk refers to as a "DVD Console" because it houses the disc player, in addition to all of the electronics and inputs and outputs. The umbilical cable uses proprietary connections, so don't expect to do any DIY extensions. .....

Sorry can't be much help beyond that.. looks to me like a DYI project fur sure :)

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/surroundbar360
  • Tarheelblue
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, by given up the ghost, I simply meant it doesn't do what it was meant to do. Yes it powers up, about a year ago it starting getting finicky and I'd have to turn it on and off a couple of times before it would actually (amp section I guess) amplify anything. It would work on on any source that was selected, no output. Again, it would power on and go to the source selected but that is all. About a week ago it would power on and the display would read "Polk Audio" and would not go to any source selected, none of the controls, including the open dvd tray would not respond. Now when you turn it on the little red led comes on to verify it is powered up on stand by but no display. I used an ohm meter to verify what pins go to each color coded pair of wires. I hooked them up individually to an old Pioneer stereo amp to verify what pair went to to speakers. I really don't care about the fake surround sound, I personally could never detect any surround sound, simulated or otherwise. i think what it is going to take is some trial and error to see if it will actually work decently, if not guess I'll be purchasing some speakers. The sad fact is that this is a decent sounding soundbar and I hate to throw it away because that console was a weak link and pretty inferior product to begin with.
  • kcoc321
    edited October 2013
    Options
    thanks for the update.. from page 7 of your manual, it says:
    "When the LED is On (Red) and the display is On, there
    is a fault condition. Please contact Polk Audio customer service."

Have you tried a factory "reset"? From page 31:
    • Reset to Default Settings
    1. Highlight RESET TO DEFAULT SETTINGS
    A drop down menu appears to the right.
    2. Scrollright () and use up () / down () to highlight “Yes” or “No.”
    3. Press ENTER to select.
    If you select “yes,” you will be asked to confirm your choice. Press ENTER.

If that doesn't work I would replace the fuse.

As far as "fake surround sound" I would not be so quick to discount that..
    SDA is one of the things we love about Polk speakers....

I would also open it up, if you are comfortable with that, and see if you can see any burnt compodents.
    Hopefully Polk CS can help you out :)
  • Tarheelblue
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I've checked the fuse with a vom, I figured it was good since the red led comes on when I press the on/off switch in the rear of the console. I'd love to try the factory reset but the console doesn't put anything out to the tv or respond to any commands. I think the next thing I'll do as you suggested and check for burnt components in the console. Everyone I've talked to are of the same opinion as me, unless I can find something simple that I can fix, the expense on a 4 year old electronic would not be worth it. Thanks for your suggestions and responses.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,966
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I really don't care about the fake surround sound
    pretty inferior product to begin with.
    and yet you say,
    I love the sound of the sound bar

2+2 does not equal 4
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kcoc321
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Call Polk CS.. you have the 'fault condition'
    Also maybe they can walk you through the button sequence
    (I have had to do that on a computer monitor when I messed up the settings)

Also, have you tried any of the other video outputs, like component or composite?
    Worth seeing if any of them are getting signal.

I did a quick search on eBay and found a couple of the Surroundbar 360's for sale.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-SurroundBar360-DVD-Home-Theater-System-Black-/261316426211?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3cd7ac39e3

or this one for $345 BIN...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-SurroundBar-360-Home-Theater-System-/400451680803?pt=Home_Theater_in_a_Box&hash=item5d3cc7ba23

you could always ask them if they would sell you just the receiver portion ;)

or if it was just your power supply board, the here is one for $45
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-POLK-AUDIO-SURROUNDBAR-360-DVD-RECEIVER-CONSOLE-POWER-SUPPLY-BOARD-HS4-B007-/171011448057?pt=US_Speaker_Parts_Components&hash=item27d1139cf9

or the POLK AUDIO SURROUNDBAR 360 DVD RECEIVER CONSOLE T-CONTROL MAIN UNIT BOARD for $45
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-POLK-AUDIO-SURROUNDBAR-360-DVD-RECEIVER-CONSOLE-T-CONTROL-MAIN-UNIT-BOARD-/181107208859?pt=US_Speaker_Parts_Components&hash=item2a2ad4b29b

funny.. you say "a 4 year old compodent" haha
    IDK if I have ANYTHING in my setups that are that YOUNG ;)
    And it sound pretty good
  • Tarheelblue
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Thanks Kcoc for all the info, I suspect the main control board. This thing will power on (led standby light goes out) but there is nothing showing in the display. No manual control except power on off on the console does anything. The open disc drawer doesn't even work. I would agree, 4 years is not very old, I have a Pioneer stereo system from 1981 still going strong.
    To answer F1nut, let me explain my reasoning. I bought this after reading the Polk hype about surround sound of this system. Although I never detected what I considered surround sound, I did like the full sound coming out of the the soundbar. I decided that I was satisfied with that sound, it improved the sound that the tv speakers had a bunch. Now to get my my attitude about the inferior product. I paid 1K for the Polk Surround 360 in early 2009, within a year the price dropped in half and I saw dealers almost trying to give these things away a little later. This tells me that Polk realized they had produced a dud and dropped it from their line. I realize that I am at fault for my research and decision, sorry but reading other forums and talking to other people, this was not a very good product.