10 years of Polkfest....what's next?

2»

Comments

• grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited October 2013
    Seems to me that a lot could be accomplished by pairing the Polkfest with one of the larger audio fests that people have mentioned. Not actually combine anything but rather, have it the same weekend as RMAF here in Denver. They have it planned out through 2015 already so there wouldn't be any excuses for planning. RMAF only goes until 6 the first two days leaving plenty of time for dinner and beers the rest of the night.

Interesting ideas for lack of participation on the forum. I lurk nearly every day, but haven't posted in a long time about anything significant because even in the short time I participated, the general attitude of the crowd here seemed to worsen. Also, I don't really have much to discuss anymore. Like a lot of folks, I joined because I had monitor line speakers and wanted to learn. After I asked the same questions the rest of the starters to the hobby did, I got bored reading the same threads over and over again. I really don't see much of a reason to be excited about Polk any more either. Sure, I still enjoy my LSIs but I don't see anything in the near future kicking in to make me consider another Polk purchase.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2013
    I got bored reading the same threads over and over again. I really don't see much of a reason to be excited about Polk any more either. Sure, I still enjoy my LSIs but I don't see anything in the near future kicking in to make me consider another Polk purchase.

I am so sad.

Just saying.

...Please continue with the conversation.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited October 2013
    DSkip wrote: »
    I agree but I'm right there with him. For me, even the lsim is a bit of a disappointment. Good to see you grim, didn't know you were still lurking.

John, what part of Cali are you in?
    San Fernando Valley... I do have small announcement. The SRS/M project is a go.

Excited now?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2013
    OK.... last weekend in April then:lol:

If you have it at your place John, there's a very good chance I can make it. Thanks for offering to host sir.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2013
    I should have the CADS done by the first of the year.... then off to the builders.
    The walls are going to be 1 1/4" MDF all the way around, with a TON of internal bracing. They will be finished to piano-quality levels and weigh in well north of 275 pounds each....

Let the drooling begin.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2013
    I wouldn't want to piggy back on something like Carverfest. That's their deal and I wouldn't want to dilute it for them. The format is a bit long for me also, I agree with the 3 day length.

The LSAF idea sounds good, though. Can you drink beer at LSAF?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited October 2013
    I should have the CADS done by the first of the year.... then off to the builders.
    The walls are going to be 1 1/4" MDF all the way around, with a TON of internal bracing. They will be finished to piano-quality levels and weigh in well north of 275 pounds each....

Let the drooling begin.

For some reason I see a Judge Reinhold/Ruthless People quote in your future...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited October 2013
    LSAF is special. You only pay for your room at regular room prices no entry fee's for vendors or attendee's. The Embassy Suites has a living room and a bedroom so no extra cost for a room to sleep in, just set the gear up in living room. We bring ice chests and liquor, but for some reason I still end up with a nice bar tab, and they do have a restaurant. We play music till we pass out.

Last year we Polkies had 4 rooms with Usher's(DSkip), Dynaudio(Txcoastal1), Head phone(Assimilated), Vintage(Assimilated buddy), and a DIY(Russman). There were approx. 60 other vendors split DIY and Commercial.

You could not set up your own rooms at RMAF due to fee's and the music pretty much stops at 6pm, not sure about Capital Audio Fest.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited October 2013
    LSAF has always been a "secondary Polkfest". Club Polk was one of the earliest and largest supporters thanks to RuSsMaN.

But, again, like strider said, while Club Polk is welcome to come down, making it a "Polkfest" dilutes the LSAF identity and detracts from their efforts.

LSAF is always posted here and there is usually a fair amount of members that attend. If members want to get together for a Club Polk meetup at LSAF, great! More power to you!

But hijacking an event that is unrelated to Club Polk or Polk Audio that others have put time, effort and resources in to because we want to be lazy about it...well, that's just pathetic IMO.

Running a PF really isn't THAT hard. It takes time and commitment and if you do take it on and need a hand there is never a shortage of help. You just have to ask. We've had several PF's be group efforts with time, labor setting up and breaking down, calling local joints for group discounts and such and even just forking over some extra cash to lessen the financial burden on the host. The PF never has a cost associated with it aside from a hotel room and/or a rental car and even then we've been able to swindle discounts and group rates.

Club Polk is about people. It's not about product. That alone is worth the effort to keep the singular identity and do our own thing. That's how it was from the start and how it's managed to stay for 10 years now.

If you yahoos actually make it part of someone else's "fest", I'm gone. If I wanted to go to Carverfest, I'd hang around on the Carver forums. Same with any other fest. I don't attend them unless they are shows like LSAF or CAF because I'm not a member of those groups and I know no one there. I'm a nuisance here and this is my "audio home". We have a very large population here and even though only a fraction of it is active, it's still there and still quite large. Plus, even though the head honchos changed, Polk still supported this year's fest and everyone said last year that they were going to likely stop supporting it for this year. No other "club" that I know has that kind of support. Maybe the commitment isn't as big but hell, we get to come to this spot in the Internet...FOR FREE because of Polk Audio.

Why you guys want to abandon that, I don't know. Why you want to deny that and go play in a wholly unrelated sandbox, I don't know.

I know why most of the "old timers" don't hang around anymore. It's this suck **** attitude and whining. There's no "community" here anymore. It's just a bunch of wishy washy people unwilling to commit or make an effort because it's hard.

You think there is a problem? You want to fix it? Go look in a mirror. There is your solution. Get to it already, time's a wastin'.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited October 2013
    Just to make things clear I never meant to insinuate that PF merge with any type of events, but I will encourage people to create regional gatherings how/wherever that might be. It is difficult to find fellow enthusiasts as per say "just down the street."

These local regional gatherings should promote a lead to making larger events such as Polkfest where ever it may be located. Skip has already offered his home for a Club Polk gathering outside of LSAF, and has already had a couple.

Cheers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • UsedtobeKAB
    UsedtobeKAB Posts: 5
    edited October 2013
    Polkfest was never about Polk, just as the Forum was never about Polk. In the case of the Forum, I served up the vessel at a time when there weren't many (any?) other places to talk audio; you provided the community, enthusiasm and energy. Sure, in the beginning, most of you owned Polk so that's what drew you together, but that not why you've stayed.

Hell, Polkfest wasn't even Polk's idea - thank you Russ. You guys started it, so it's up to you whether you end it. Personally, I'd be sad to see that happen. Call it what you want; just call it. My 2 cents, but hanging it of some other event makes no sense to me? Carver, RMAF, NBA finals...who cares? OctoberFest? - you guys drink like heathens.

For what it's worth, I'll happily volunteer my place again.

Al (used to work for Polk)
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited October 2013
    Polkfest was never about Polk, just as the Forum was never about Polk. In the case of the Forum, I served up the vessel at a time when there weren't many (any?) other places to talk audio; you provided the community, enthusiasm and energy. Sure, in the beginning, most of you owned Polk so that's what drew you together, but that not why you've stayed.

Hell, Polkfest wasn't even Polk's idea - thank you Russ. You guys started it, so it's up to you whether you end it. Personally, I'd be sad to see that happen. Call it what you want; just call it. My 2 cents, but hanging it of some other event makes no sense to me? Carver, RMAF, NBA finals...who cares? OctoberFest? - you guys drink like heathens.

For what it's worth, I'll happily volunteer my place again.

Al (used to work for Polk)

Well, there you go. If this is not motivation to keep this going, I don't know what is.

And that room upstairs with the SRT setup was something to behold, and worth the "price of admission"!! lol
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • UsedtobeKAB
    edited October 2013
    Still there. The bed's in the middle.
  • strider
    edited October 2013
    Good morning, Al.
    Still there. The bed's in the middle.

Man, you're as sick as we are.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2013
    I HATE that I missed PF at Al's place. Stupid Air Force!

I agree with Al....PF is, at it's heart, about the membership here. It has really, nothing to do with Polk. My thing is, the membership has to be the ones to keep it going. It's not fair to say, well, these guys don't contribute any more blah blah....it's not about that. It's about each of us.

My whole thing is here is to revive flagging interest. It seems that keeping PF alive is an academic exercise for most....and I get it, not everyone can make it regardless of where it is. As a group though, we have to be fired up about it.

As far as location, look guys.....nobody has ever said that it can't be in LA or Kenosha, WI. Historically, the way it's worked is that the attendees sort of hash it out. That said, 2 of the 4 that I've had is because PF was homeless that year. 2004, I lobbied for. I always said that I wouldn't let PF go homeless and that's how the last two wound up here (2006 was because someone had to drop out through no real fault of their own). So, if you are motivated to host.....there isn't anything stopping you so I'm not really hearing that one.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2013
    The problem is not where polkfest is but whom is coming to polkfest is the problem. Polkfest isn't a 5 member party, that's why Polkfest is dead IMHO.

I do think Troy would support Polkfest to the end of this world.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• UsedtobeKAB
    edited October 2013
    More than ambivalence has diminished participation at several of the more recent events.

Let's face it, the economy took a big hit and is not back yet. Too many are not back to where they were. PF is cheap but not free.

And Diz, it was raining so hard that I kept an eye out for Noah the whole time I was at your place. Anyone that could back out at the end was smarter than me.

Polk's last was down but I blame myself for not giving everyone ample time and working harder to get everyone jazzed.

Troy's, I can't explain.

Al
  • UsedtobeKAB
    edited October 2013
    Wow, up to 4 posts - five.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited October 2013
    And Diz, it was raining so hard that I kept an eye out for Noah the whole time I was at your place. Anyone that could back out at the end was smarter than me.

Al

LOL Funny it was really nice days before then during PF it RAINED....

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• strider
    edited October 2013
    Wow, up to 4 posts - five.

Please don't ask to use the Flea Market.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2013
    strider wrote: »
    Please don't ask to use the Flea Market.

WAAAAAA!!!!

THAT is too funny!

Good to see you posting Kab.

• disneyjoe7
    edited October 2013
    Ding Dong the witch is dead.....

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited October 2013
    i still chukle the time I had my first polkfest....the moment I step into Lou's home......Devin who????? devani OH, AH~~~~~

sure was good times
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83