Partial PayPal Claim?

Options
exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited September 2013 in The Clubhouse
Long story short - I bought a pair of motorcycle wheels and some other misc parts from a guy. He sent me one wheel and 1 of the 3 other things I bought. Absolutely TERRIBLY packed. I mean...
IMG_20130916_132154.jpg

That's BEFORE i opened it. Anyway, I'm well within the 45 days. I call the guy and he tells me he had shipped both wheels together in the same box, packed in peanuts, etc. Well, there's no sign of any peanuts in the box. No sign (dents in the box, etc) that there was another wheel. And...the weight on the slip says 34 pounds...The wheel/tire I received weighs 33 pounds. He said he was going to call UPS tonight and see whats up. I'm curious to see what lie he comes up with next.

Anyway, I'm well aware of the 45 day limit and I plan on getting the ball rolling on that later this week. But what can I expect for something like this? It's more than 1 product I'm missing, but he shipped some of it...what happens next? Does anyone have any type of experience with this type of thing?
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited September 2013
    Options
    If you bought them off eBay, which it seems that you did, you can file a claim. They will have you ship the items back and you will get a full refund. They do not do partial refunds.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• exalted512
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Nope. It was bought off a forum.
    -Cody
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited September 2013
    Options
    In that case, you have no PayPal protection.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I hope that you paid with a credit card. You can file a chargeback on your card, but Paypal won't like that. Here is the paypal contract:

For items purchased on eBay look for either a PayPal or eBay purchase or buyer protection message in the eBay listing. If you see a message and you meet the eligibility requirements, then your purchase is covered by PayPal Purchase Protection. The purchase or buyer protection message will vary based on the eBay website. The message must appear on the top part of the listing and not under the “Description” or “Shipping and Payments” tabs. If the listing does not include the purchase or buyer protection message, then it is not eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection.

I will say that this is why I like the Polk FM rules, and why I have never purchased from another forum, only ebay and audiogon.

Good luck and I hope you can get it worked out man. That sucks.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Oh man, I feel for you, brother. Don't even get me started. A lot of people already know this story, but here is a recent chapter from my memoir...

Chapter 32: The Sound of Silence

I've always prided myself in having a nice home audio system. After all, it helps romance the ladies in the bedroom. High-five! Nothing like playing "Sexual Healing" to get the ladies in the mood. Thank you, Marvin Gaye. So anyways, I recently noticed my speakers were sounding... not so good. I removed the grills and found that the foam speaker surrounds had rotted. Nice. It's a common problem with aging speakers. The surrounds can be replaced, but I felt it was time for an upgrade. Coincidentally, as my sound system deteriorated, so did my love life. So I decided to really go with high end equipment. I knew the ladies would appreciate it. Again... high-five.

I purchased Polk speakers all around, and at the same time, purchased a Denon receiver online. So I thought I'd give you an update on my wonderful online purchase of a Denon receiver on eBay. I never received the item I purchased. On the morning of 7/6/13 the package was delivered to the wrong residence. The seller did not request the "signature service", so Fedex left the package at the doorstep. When the package never arrived, I contacted Fedex and they went back to retrieve the package on 7/10/13 (they seemed to be in no rush) but the package was no longer there. They told me the package could no longer be retrieved. Unrecoverable! They fully admit that they delivered it to the wrong address and that I never had possession of the package. They told me to contact the seller to get a refund. I was told that the tracking information linked to the tracking number will no longer be updated and it's last update said it was delivered on 7/6. All info is in the Case ID Number with Fedex.

I contacted the seller after being told by Fedex that the package could not be retrieved, but got no response. So I filed a claim with Paypal under Ebay Buyer Protection. I had used Paypal's "Bill Me Later" option because they were offering a deal to double my "eBay bucks" if I used that payment option and I like eBay bucks. The transaction didn't show up in the resolution center because I used Bill Me Later, so I had to file the claim over the phone, rather than online. I ended up not winning the case because the tracking numbers said that the package was delivered. I told them that all the info was in the Case ID and to contact Fedex and they would explain. They said it is there policy to ONLY go by what the tracking number says and would not contact Fedex. They said if the tracking number was updated with new info, they would reopen the case. I called Fedex and they said the tracking number info will NEVER be changed. I said, "I thought the whole purpose of a tracking number was to let the shipper/seller know that the item arrived. It should be changed to show that you lost my package." They said once it says "delivered", it can no longer be changed. Murphy's Law!

So I file a claim with Fedex. This was after literally four hours of phone conversations with Paypal and Fedex. And no one seems to know how to speak English with either company! I was told that ONLY the seller/shipper could file a claim. I said that the seller wouldn't return any of my emails and the only way I had to contact him was through eBay's email service. Since I used Bill Me Later, I couldn't check the transaction through Paypal for contact info because it doesn't show up there. I was told that it's not Fedex's policy to give out the seller's contact info to others. I hate everyone.

Fedex put me through to their claims department and the woman (the first American I spoke with, by the way) told me the only way for me to file a claim was to get the seller to sign a waver allowing me to file a claim. I explained again that he would not return my emails because he thinks the package was delivered to me per the tracking number info. She said there was nothing she could do. I said, "You guys are a real class act!" She replied, "Yes we are, thanks for calling." and hung up on me. C*#t.

On 7/17, the Fedex driver that delivered my package to the wrong address, showed up to deliver another package. He told me where he delivered the package to. I went there on 7/18 and retrieved my package. I guess the lawn service moved the package to the side of the garage and it had gone unnoticed. Yet the package had never been rained on. Hmmm... mystery. Get home, open up my package (which was undamaged and unopened) and the first thing I notice was that my unit had a big ol' REMANUFACTURED sticker on the side of it. Nice. Hook it up, plug it in. My Polk speakers sound amazing, which are connected using monstrous cables. Listen to it for about ninety minutes and the sound goes out. I turn off the Denon and turn it back on and it works for another fifteen minutes and the sound went out. Performed numerous factory resets, but it didn't help. It got so bad that I'd have to turn the unit off and on ten to thirty times to get sound. Had to file another claim. Paypal/eBay sided with me. I had to mail the unit back with tracking numbers and when it arrives, I'll get a full refund. Had to spend $31.35 for return shipping. I DID NOT USE FEDEX!

What we've learned here is:

1. Polk speakers sound amazing
    2. Yes...speaker wire makes a difference
    3. Don't use Bill Me Later, it complicates things
    4. Customer Service reps are foreigners
    5. Fedex and Paypal's polices are flawed
    6. Fedex needs to teach their claims department reps some proper manners

I ended up purchasing a Pioneer Elite SC-05 instead. I'm into class, it's my new thing :)
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Thats alot of happenings
    Randy/Maine
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I hate Paypal.

I figured out a way to never get taken by them.

I have my Paypal account synced to a savings account with only five dollars in it.

I pay every paypal bill with a credit card. Which is used ONLY for paying paypal.

When I had a problem with a seller (item never arrived and no reply to any emails)
    I called the credit card company and had the charge reversed. When paypal was notified they said they were going to take the money out of my linked bank account.

Surprise Paypal! No money.

And I use a different ebay name and account number when I am selling anything.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited September 2013
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Nope. It was bought off a forum.
    -Cody
    does the forum have any clauses - sales ratings ? Piss poor packing job. Time to call in Cfrizz :)
    Randy/Maine
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Just so you know, in my experience, neither PayPal nor the credit card will do partial refund/chargebacks. It has to be all or nothing. The only way for partial is if the seller agrees to give you a partial refund.

I would file with PayPal regardless of what the site says about protection. It will at a minimum put a freeze on his account and get the seller's attention. Then I would plan to send everything back, and demand a full refund. The guy is obviously a poor seller and you probably don't want any of the crap he is selling because its probably not as advertised anyway. You will probably have to foot the price of return shipping.

If PayPal claim doesn't work, file with your credit card.

Make sure to call the guy out on the selling forum so others know to avoid buying from him.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • exalted512
    edited September 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    In that case, you have no PayPal protection.

I've got money back before for stuff that was never shipped? I thought that's the whole point of the 3.5% they take - that funds the buyer protection?
    billbillw wrote: »
    Just so you know, in my experience, neither PayPal nor the credit card will do partial refund/chargebacks. It has to be all or nothing. The only way for partial is if the seller agrees to give you a partial refund.

I would file with PayPal regardless of what the site says about protection. It will at a minimum put a freeze on his account and get the seller's attention. Then I would plan to send everything back, and demand a full refund. The guy is obviously a poor seller and you probably don't want any of the crap he is selling because its probably not as advertised anyway. You will probably have to foot the price of return shipping.

If PayPal claim doesn't work, file with your credit card.

Make sure to call the guy out on the selling forum so others know to avoid buying from him.

That's what I figured. Hopefully we can figure out an agreement...although I really have no use for another rear wheel...I needed the front. I was going to sell the rear wheel to recoup costs. Now its going to cost me money shipping the **** back. :(
    -Cody
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    edited September 2013
    Options
    oldmodman wrote: »
    I hate Paypal.

I figured out a way to never get taken by them.

I have my Paypal account synced to a savings account with only five dollars in it.

I pay every paypal bill with a credit card. Which is used ONLY for paying paypal.

When I had a problem with a seller (item never arrived and no reply to any emails)
    I called the credit card company and had the charge reversed. When paypal was notified they said they were going to take the money out of my linked bank account.

Surprise Paypal! No money.

And I use a different ebay name and account number when I am selling anything.

THIS^.

Paypal wants you to link to a savings or checking account as a way to get "verified", in reality, they want a way to take your money. Once a verified tracking number is input, the transaction is done. I'll be interested to hear OP's update.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • exalted512
    edited September 2013