I've decided but want opinions

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,042
edited September 2013 in Headphones
I'm putting a temporary glitch in my Pioneer SC purchase to buy some decent headphones as a lot of my time spent awake is at night. 90% of use is going to be gaming. They can be plugged into either Yamaha RX-V667 or my CA-1010 although maybe quite further down the line I was thinking of getting a tube headphone amp. I'm currently using the Monoprice rebranded Kicker headphones and am looking to step up.

I'm not looking for an "audiophile", perfectly flat frequency response, pair of headphones. I'd rather have something that will compliment gaming and movies better. I want a big soundstage so I believe that means I want an open back headphone. I want explosions and gun blasts to rumble my head but I also don't want the bass to be overwhelming to the point of losing clarity anywhere else.

From the reading I have done I have pretty much decided that the Philips Fidelio X1's are what I am looking for but I just want some opinions from the more experienced headphones listeners around here.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
Post edited by Nightfall on

Comments

• Nightfall
    edited September 2013
    Almost forgot. I need them to be comfortable. The headphones I have now, after an hour or two I start getting pain around my ears and am constantly readjusting them seeking comfort.

• Nightfall
    edited September 2013
    A quick question not related to what headphones you all think would fit me. How is it that a little headphone amp is better than lets say an AVR that can power 7 or 9 full size speakers?

• Nightfall
    edited September 2013
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I just got a pair of Sony MRD1R's...closed back mind you, they are fairly warm sounding, with a lil extra kick in the low end also the drivers are angled as to promote a wider soundstage from what my ears tell me, it works. Even with my glasses on, I don't get fatigued wearing them, just give em a listen, reasonably priced too for what your getting. My only serious gripe is the cable is a tad short, but easily remedied with a quality extension cord.
    Thanks for your opinion. I checked out and read up on the MRD-1R's but ultimately decided I was looking for an open backed headphone.

• Nightfall
    edited September 2013
    Beyerdynamics DT990 seems like it might have a similar sound for much less money. Not to mention things such as the ear pads are replaceable whereas on the Philips X1 they are not.

Hmmm

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited September 2013
    What good are opinions if you have already decided?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    edited September 2013
    What good are opinions if you have already decided?
    If somebody that has owned or listened to these and a bunch of other headphones told me, from experience, x is better than your choice I would probably change my decision.

I have never owned $300+ headphones, my decision is based on zero experience.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2013
    Cheapest decent quality gaming phones (& music): Audio Technica AD700 (not a lot of bass but you can pinpoint "everything"!)--can get them for $100. No need to go over $300 if it's mostly gaming?

Need MORE bass, go with the Beyer DT990Pro 250 ohm. Can get them new for as low as $169, maybe even less and spend your money on an amp. You'll need it with these.

Somewhere between the ATs and the Beyers in the bass department (but unbeatable at sound stage and so on in its price range). Look at the AKG Q701s (maybe as low as $239 or so (all prices here are NEW--you can get everything cheaper USED). AKGs are the MOST difficult to drive properly of all three phones listed here so choose your amp well!

Have fun!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Nightfall
    edited September 2013
    cnh wrote: »
    Cheapest decent quality gaming phones (& music): Audio Technica AD700 (not a lot of bass but you can pinpoint "everything"!)--can get them for $100. No need to go over $300 if it's mostly gaming?

Need MORE bass, go with the Beyer DT990Pro 250 ohm. Can get them new for as low as $169, maybe even less and spend your money on an amp. You'll need it with these.

Somewhere between the ATs and the Beyers in the bass department (but unbeatable at sound stage and so on in its price range). Look at the AKG Q701s (maybe as low as $239 or so (all prices here are NEW--you can get everything cheaper USED). AKGs are the MOST difficult to drive properly of all three phones listed here so choose your amp well!

Have fun!

cnh
    What turned me off of the Beyers quickly was the non replaceable (removable) cord.

Really eyeing the AKG's. Have you had your ears on the K702 65th Anniversaries? The Q701's seem very nice too. What is the jack on the headphones themselves, is that an AKG specific jack?

My mind is tossing and turning. I need to just pull the trigger on something and live with it. :lol:

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2013
    It's an mini XLR jack. There are lots of replacement cords available for this kind of connection on ebay and you can even make your own cord if you are ambitious enough. The Q701s have angled ear pads and some kind of foam wafer that was not in the older K701 version that seems to boost the bass a tad and makes the high end just a little less forward.

I haven't heard the Anniversary editions but I doubt they are significantly different from the Q701s in sound. If you're curious about comparisons, have you checked Mike's videos out on youtube Hifiguy528, that guy reviews almost everything!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Nightfall
    edited September 2013
    Is the bumpy pad on your Q701's a big a deal as some people make it out to be?

• D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    edited September 2013
    If you are going to be gaming check out:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/products/gaming/

Designed for either Xbox One or Xbox 360, but with the smartphone cord you can use them with anything. Super lightweight. The drop down mic mutes the system and replace the bulky boom mic most gaming headphones have.

747192124373.jpg