First install since 1980. LC8i help.

Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited September 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
Yes, 1980. I am probably among the oldest here. My last car audio install was in a 74 AMC Hornet. Things were very different then. No component speakers, no massive power amps, no subwoofers (At least not that I knew of....).

So I am coming here for help. My sub thread didn't get much attention....and I decided to go with a full install.

First of all, these are the objectives I have:

-No competition, no intention to rattle the windows of cars a mile away. I just want good sound heard at levels that won't kill my hearing.
-I want to do it myself. I could pay for it, but I am a DIYer. For me this is a big one. Specially if it is challenging.
-Budget is less that $1,500. Totally doable based on prices I've researched.

I did search here before posting, found some info, but I would love to have this as my install thread; plan to document and take lots of pictures that might help others.

The car & stock system: I am doing this on a 2013 Sonata SE with Navigation. It has the Dimension system. Stock 360 W amp (I think) with 8 output channels (All 2ohm)
-Two front dash mid range/tweeters.
-Two front door (mid bass I would guess).
-Two rear doors (Full range I would guess)
-Free air sub in the rear deck with dual voice coils.

What I don't like: The stock system doesn't sound too bad. Decent bass (Again, I don't want boomy exaggerated bass). Probably the one thing that bothers me is that the mid/highs come mostly out of the dash speakers, and are thrown at you from the windshield. No blending, so I might as well start from scratch (Keeping the stock HU).

The plan:
-Keep stock HU with all it's features.
-Front: Component speakers. Not sure yet if will put tweeters in the dash replacing what's there or find another place. Will probably start with the dash to minimize modifications.
-Rear: Coaxials. Or leave stock...or just plain disconnect them. I am a 2 channel guy.
-Sub: replace stock DVC with SVC, same size same location (Rear deck-free air). I actually already have this sub; 8" Critical Mass 2 ohm SVC.
-Keep stock speaker wiring.
-OEM Integration: LC8I from what I have researched. Has what I need and the price is right. Planning to tap out of the stock amp outputs; 8 channels in. 5 Channels out (Or three if I decide to ditch the rear speakers).
-5 channel amp. Don't need 1,000 watts or more. Looking at the Rockford prime 600.5, or Polk PA D5000-5. but open for other alternatives.

Where I need help:
I can deal with most of the install, stripping the car, power line, etc. I am concerned on the following:
Set up of the OEM integration. Is the LC8I too difficult to dial in? Are there other easier options for what I want? Am I crazy trying to do this myself without having the necessary equipment (RTA, etc).? Should I let this part be done by a dealer that has all the tools? Is it ok to have the 8 inpots and 5 outputs?
AMP: Speakers will probably be 4 ohms. Will the amps I have listed have any problem dealing with 4 ohms in 4 channels and 2 ohms for the sub channel?
Speakers: Will go with Polk. DB? MM? DXi? Do I relly need the top of the line for what I want?

I think that's it for now. I would appreciate all and any input and/or links to other threads.

Thanks!

Ricardo.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments