Malbec Posts: 548
    Founders KBS now on the shelves.

b81421jdrqm7.jpg
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Forgot how potent this stuff is....

hjwk4oe49bc3.jpg
    ps96xvni4obx.jpg

Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mrbiron
    Oh my....it's a little bitey
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    I've never had a stout above 12%abv. You sir, are a champion.

On a side note, definitely picking up some stout tomorrow; your post has inspired me.
  • mrbiron
    I didn't even know I had the beer. Pulled it out of the fridge and then laid eyes on the info. I was committed at that point. I just finished it a couple minutes ago.

One and done.........phewwww... ;)
  • andrew82
    edited April 2017
    I hear you loud and clear. Once you've closed the door, there's no going back. "Only" 10%, but boy does she play.

Your post sent me rummaging in my own fridge... look what I found in the back.4r05x1jepea0.jpg

• mrbiron
    Ha!....I had my last one of those last weekend!
    Trying to clear out the stouts for spring time.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Anyone dabble in home brewing? I've been doing so for about a year now, fermenting I have a Brown ale, german pilsner, american pale ale, imperial blonde and a Sol clone.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mrbiron
    I used to mess around with kits. Haven't touched one in 5+ years.

That a lot of beer for one guy... ;)
  • codycatalist
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I used to mess around with kits. Haven't touched one in 5+ years.

That a lot of beer for one guy... ;)

Gotta stock up! In summer here in Arizona it is too hot to brew, have to make enough to hibernate through the season =P

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • andrew82
    @codycatalist That's an incredible amount of brews to have going on at once!

I'm thinking of trying my hand at one or two brews this summer. Do you have any kit recommendations?
  • codycatalist
    andrew82 wrote: »

I'm thinking of trying my hand at one or two brews this summer. Do you have any kit recommendations?

I do know some decent online retailers. Where are you located geographically? I can try and find one closer to you so shipping is less.

• codycatalist

I split them mostly with my pops. I am going to keep the Pilsner and Imperial Blonde and half of the brown ale. He is keeping the raspberry wheat, Sol clone and he still has an 80 shillings clone to brew as well. I should have a little over 100 bottles once I finish my pils and imperial.

• andrew82
    I would be brewing it up north in Rhode Island with my brother; although, I can pick up or have it shipped the equipment anywhere between NY and RI.

The goal is to do one that doesn't require too much active maintenance, as I'll be in and out for work throughout the summer.
  • codycatalist
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits

Is a reputable supplier with fresh ingredients and they aren't too far.

Most beers are very set it and forget it. Brew the recipe according to the directions, put it in the fermenter then let it sit for 10-14 days. Bottle it and wait another week and you are good to go my friend.

A tip for summer, most lighter colored beers like a colder fermentation. You can do lighter beers at higher temps but when you choose your yeast do research on your options (they will list what options on the site) and they should state what their fermentation temp range is.

If you get a chance to purchase Safale s05 I would do that. I have had great luck with it in the 74-78 degree range.

If you start liking brewing it is usually cheaper to have a brick and mortar store put it together from loose ingredients if you have any around you.

• andrew82
    Sweet! I've got the "How to Brew" book, and that has a lot of nice recipes. Any advice on all-grain vs. extract?

I'd also look to get multiple batches going at once. Would buckets do the trick, or should I be leaning towards those carboys?
  • codycatalist
    I ferment in bottling buckets and have no issues. I would say if you can swing some car boys do it but buckets work fine. I haven't tried all grain mashing yet as I don't have the extra equipment needed but I should be learning that next week with a friend who brews for BJs.

I've had great success with extract kits though.

• mrbiron
    I would be brewing it up north in Rhode Island
    Are you going to be using Narragansett water for said brew ;)
  • andrew82
    edited April 2017
    @mrbiron The only Gansett water I'll be using for the brew is pictured below, and you can be sure it won't be for the brew. It will be used for inspiration, neighbor.
    zalsw7p1wsum.jpg

@codycatalist I checked or Northern Brewer's starter kits, and figured that is just jump on the Deluxe kit as a starter. It comes with two Carboys and a bucket: so I can start three brews in early June and have some beer ready for the 4th!
  • codycatalist
    @mrbiron The only Gansett water I'll be using for the brew is pictured below, and you can be sure it won't be for the brew. It will be used for inspiration, neighbor.
    zalsw7p1wsum.jpg

@codycatalist I checked or Northern Brewer's starter kits, and figured that is just jump on the Deluxe kit as a starter. It comes with two Carboys and a bucket: so I can start three brews in early June and have some beer ready for the 4th!

Awesome!

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Anyone dabble in home brewing? I've been doing so for about a year now, fermenting I have a Brown ale, german pilsner, american pale ale, imperial blonde and a Sol clone.

I just kegged two dry stouts, an amber ale and lightly hopped wheat ale. All my own recipes. Stouts are all-grain and the two others are partial mash with mostly extracts. 20 gallons of refreshments. Will brew 2 all-grain IPA's this week.
  • Malbec
    y1yexrwwvre9.jpg

Have 10 gallons of brown ale being dry hopped right now and then kegged this weekend.
    Next up will be a belgian tripel followed by an IPA.
  • codycatalist
    Oooo I love me some Brown ales! @Sami that sounds delicious, the only recipe that I tweaked and basically put together myself is my Imperial Blonde. It is somewhat my "Flagship" beer I guess you could say. I find myself brewing that more than anything else. It is still an extract recipe but still quite delectable.

• Sami
    Here's a good software for recipe creations: http://beersmith.com/

This Citra wheat is pretty good and it's a very simple recipe. Easy to drink as it doesn't have the IPA bitterness but has some of the fruity hop flavour and aroma. You can substitute the yeast for pretty much any neutral ale yeast.
  • codycatalist
    A pretty straight forward recipe and with IBUs in the high teens/low twenties that is my kind of brew. I might actually give this a try on my next batch, it seems like a great summer beer.

Thanks @Sami

• Malbec
    Hey Sami, overall, how would you rate the beersmith software? I've been leaning towards BeerTools Pro but haven't made a decision on a brewing program yet.
    Brewers Friend is another popular program i've considered. Everybody has their favorite it seems. Boils down to personal preference I guess.
  • Sami
    Brewers Friend doesn't seem like a very user friendly (web) app. Haven't tried the other but might give it a try. Also BeerSmith comes with a free trial so I would just give them both a try and see which one works better for you.
  • Sami
    A pretty straight forward recipe and with IBUs in the high teens/low twenties that is my kind of brew. I might actually give this a try on my next batch, it seems like a great summer beer.

Thanks @Sami

If you want to make it even simpler on the purchasing side then swap that Hallertau for another 0.2oz of Citra. This way the whole bill will come down to 5lbs of wheat extract & 1oz of Citra. Then just use the yeast from your next batch of the blonde. I have not bought any yeast in a long long time as I just take a starter into a glass jar from the old batches when I keg them. I don't really brew any beers that are picky for the type of yeast.