Two PAIRS of Carver Platinums in a Sunfire!

2»

Comments

• nguyendotnguyendot Posts: 3,561
    Sorry to revive this, but I picked up a pair of Amazings today and they're mismatched. One has 2x30" ribbons (yellow) and one has 1x60" silver. Both have they honeycomb woofers.

The 2x30" ribbons are very muted. The woofers don't seem to play at the same level. It looks like someone messed with the crossovers and they're not wired correctly. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the crossover?
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,185
    edited October 15
    Amazing Jordan Carvers :p

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,570
    Three schematics in the manual I have....

Date '86 schematic

hcu5di35yadk.jpg

Date '89 Platinum

yarngci2w30x.jpg

jd1dqttnc8a2.jpg

Date '89 Silver

3m2kcc7graut.jpg

44502ttkc61d.jpg

Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

I will try to read this and look at the crossovers. I feel someone tried to hot-rod these or had no idea what they're doing. The woofers seem to come off the same terminals as the input on the crossover which doesn't make sense. I have no idea how to read a schematic but I should be able to make due. I'll take pics.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,143
    There's a lot of things about those speakers that doesn't make sense.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• xschopxschop Posts: 634
    The truth ranger rides again lol.
    On a serious note, it would be nice to see them resto/modded. I'll be watching this project and hope to see it brought to fruition.
    I'll gauge how much work itll take. If not I'm going to part them out or resell them. They're huge and I can't store them easily.
    Main Surround -

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,492
    Just FYI... my project died a while ago, as the cost of the parts far exceeded the value of just buying a pair that already worked.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Are you referring to the Carvers or the Sunfire?
    The sunfire is the car used to haul them. We still have it. B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

They for the most part work, i think the crossover needs rewired but who knows.
    Main Surround -

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,143
    So, the original Amazings with the two ribbons are 4 ohm and the later Platinum series with the 60" ribbons are 8 ohm. I therefore do not believe one can use a 60" ribbon in the original Amazings nor can one use the honeycomb woofers in the Plats.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,879

My sympathies.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,456

From a sunfire to Demon..... sweeet upgrade :sunglasses:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP03, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii , Eastern Electric minimax phono pre, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries mini, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

F1nut wrote: »
    So, the original Amazings with the two ribbons are 4 ohm and the later Platinum series with the 60" ribbons are 8 ohm. I therefore do not believe one can use a 60" ribbon in the original Amazings nor can one use the honeycomb woofers in the Plats.

Someone either bought two different ones or they hacked these up. My best bet might be to part them out then. The 60" tweeter sounds awesome. The 30" ones sound terrible but I'm thinking someone literally just ran random wires to them.
    Main Surround -

mikeyb128 wrote: »

From a sunfire to Demon..... sweeet upgrade :sunglasses:

I drive a Jaguar XJ now. The Sunfire collects dust because my wife can't sell her first car.

Watch those fuel lines on the Sunfire. That car can quickly earn it's name. I test-drove an XJ with a cammed LT1 back in the day. He could never get enough rear tire unless he tubbed it.
  • ALL212ALL212 Posts: 628
    Tell me more of your ribbons. I’ve rebuilt silvers and know of two places that are refurbing ribbons. But I might be in the market for the 60.
    Aaron
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,621
    I just can't figure out with a new baby how you have the time to consider a project that big.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,828
    tonyb wrote: »
    I just can't figure out with a new baby how you have the time to consider a project that big.

Tony Johns project was several years ago. This was resurrected nguyendot.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Take it easy on Tony... he's a Bears/Cubs fan....

I have the new baby. Like literally a week old. Refurbing some KP-201 horns too (industrial Heresy IIs).

And picked up a few new receivers from Magnolia in the past 2 weeks.
    Main Surround -

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,828
    nguyendot wrote: »

I have the new baby. Like literally a week old. Refurbing some KP-201 horns too (industrial Heresy IIs).

And picked up a few new receivers from Magnolia in the past 2 weeks.

My bad I'm sorry Tony call off waste management.....palease B)

Congrats on the new rugrat o:) <3
2»