RT 2000i (need crossover) I know...good luck right??

Options
tophatjohnny
tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
edited August 2013 in Vintage Speakers
after buying the top speaker, (which was blown too) I called and spoke with a tech here @ polk and was advised to send in the amp for repair. In disassembling the cab, I decided to remove the foam in the top half and there was the meanie..bold and fried....the cross over in the top section is blown to heck. Praying someone will be able to help fix or replace this part?? Any help will be appreciated. Fingers crossed. :cry:
130729-142642.jpg
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
Post edited by tophatjohnny on

Comments

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Dang...:eek:
    Good luck!

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • tophatjohnny
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Mystery wrote: »
    Dang...:eek:
    Good luck!

yeah, I know, I think I said that in the heading!!:biggrin: maybe someone here will be able to help?? Man???????
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Crap!:eek:

Trey (VR3) or F1nut can do them for you, if they have the time.
    But I would suggest you do both crossovers, and upgrade the caps in the tweeter with a better cap, while your at it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited July 2013
    Options
    although it is very hard to tell I would bet that someone tried to run 120v through the binding post....
  • tophatjohnny
    edited July 2013
    Options
    pepster wrote: »
    Crap!:eek:

Trey (VR3) or F1nut can do them for you, if they have the time.
    But I would suggest you do both crossovers, and upgrade the caps in the tweeter with a better cap, while your at it.
    I will let the person doing the repair tell me that and if he says do both and upgrade anything, then I will do so. Thanks
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    although it is very hard to tell I would bet that someone tried to run 120v through the binding post....
    I doubt that. I set them up with the help of the same person that is doing the repair and haven't changed a thing in this whole time. I think I just ram them too loud for a long period one night a couple months back and lucky I didn't ruin both sides. Thanks
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Top-Hat-Man!

It's not worth it!! :exclaim:

Well, I only say that since it doesn't look like much fun for you. :razz:

Good to see you back here, Johnny, where ya been?
  • tophatjohnny
    edited July 2013
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Top-Hat-Man!

It's not worth it!! :exclaim:

Well, I only say that since it doesn't look like much fun for you. :razz:

Thanks, I'll make it fun!!
    Good to see you back here, Johnny, where ya been?

The summers are usually full of gigs (drumming) and when not on the road, my wife and youngest son get most of me. My 18 year old son leaves for the Marines on August 26th, so we have a lot on out minds. I still peep in and thanks to Ken, I will get this problem solved. Just waiting to see if he suggests doing both sides and if he thinks some change with the tweeters should be made. We like the RT2000i's a bunch and want them to last as long as possible, so here I go!! lol
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I will let the person doing the repair tell me that and if he says do both and upgrade anything, then I will do so. Thanks

So you want 1 speaker with possibly weak/warn, and certainly older caps in it, and new caps in the other speaker?
    Because that is exactly what you will have if they don't do both.
    Hey different strokes I guess.:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited July 2013
    Options
    They aren't worth the costs involved in my opinion. Best to part out the usable stuff and seek out another set....or something else.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tophatjohnny
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Thanks to one of our members (not sure if he wants his name set out there??) I am back up and running. I was treated not like a customer, but as a friend and I feel so lucky that this person took the time to fix the problem and did it very fast. Hats off and this forum ROCKS!!
  • Eocuph
    Eocuph Posts: 75
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I have extra crossovers from my RT 35i's if you want to give them a shot. I only bought the bookshelves to use as replacements on my RT3000p's. The RT2000p's sound great! Hope you're enjoying them!
  • tgilmour
    Options
    Hi new to the form polk audio technician recommended this form I need RT 2000 I crossovers can somebody help
    Gilmour1@hotmail.com
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Are yours missing?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tgilmour
    Options
    No but they are burned up
  • tonyb
    Options
    tgilmour wrote: »
    No but they are burned up

Completely burned up or just a resistor ? Big difference....and if they are completely burned up requiring totally NEW crossovers, the costs involved for both speakers will be more than they are worth.

Maybe post a pic of them when you get them removed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    You see used RT2000 speakers for sale relatively dirt-cheap.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Like Tony said, post some pics. Chances are much greater than not that your crossovers can be repaired, even upgraded.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    More back story and more pics of better quality needed
  • tgilmour
    Options
    I will post a pic over the weekend
  • tgilmour
    tgilmour Posts: 5
    edited February 2017
    Options
    r5y89r8547hq.jpg
    Ok here's the pics and the specs of the crossovers for my RT 2000 I can anybody helpk5pm3hpge96i.jpg
    jbbwjkex8n5h.jpg
  • tgilmour
    Options
    Also can these be upgraded?
  • tonyb
    Options
    I'm no expert, but given the damage done on that board, I wouldn't trust anything being left there. New ones are in order imho....but do you really want to spend that coin ? Especially knowing they were abused like that, some drivers too may have been blown your not aware of yet.

My take is to keep them as parts and find another pair in good working condition. You can usually find them under 200 bucks if your dead set on the same speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's