Crashed the bike :( (have video)

Options
exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited July 2013 in The Clubhouse
I'm copying and pasting this from what I typed up on a motorcycle forum - so a lot of it might be irrelevant, but I have lots of pictures and a video!

First and foremost, I'd like to do a gear review. I think it's absolutely the most important thing that someone could learn from my wreck. It was very, very fast and I am 100% fine. I got a heat burn on my elbow, which I'm assuming was my first point of contact. No hole in the suit there though. This is going to be a long post, but please take time to at least look through the gear review.

Recently I got a Leatt neck brace. I can't imagine what this crash would have been like without it. I was worried about the mobility of my head, but I have no issues like I did with the little $30 foam EVS one I had, which I couldn't wear for more than a lap. My only issue with this one is at full TUCK on the straights, it hits the tank, not allowing me to be completely under my stock windscreen. The tenth of a second that might cost me is a welcome drawback. If it was two tenths, I might have issue though :)

You can see it took a hit from my helmet. The mark is on the left side of the brace. I can't recommend one of these enough...

P7141028.jpg
P7141029.jpg

Heroic kangaroo suit held up okay. It's still 'safe' by my standards, aside from the arm zipper breaking. It was actually completely open when I stopped tumbling. I tried to zip it back up and thats when it came off on one side. I'm not sure how it came down. Might have been the cause of the heat burn? It allowed the suit to twist, moving the elbow armor around.

Shoulder and broke arm zipper side:
P7141025.jpg

P7141024.jpg

Small hole on the right side of the butt
P7141023.jpg

Shoei RF-1000. This thing is old, but it held up great. 5 year life span my ****. As I'm tumbling, I faceplant at one point and thinking, ****, I'm going to have to buy a new helmet. About that time, I hit my head a couple more times...lol
P7141022.jpg

Ripped the back off:
P7141021.jpg

P7141020.jpg

Gloves held up great, again. The stitching around the stingray on the palm in this picture had started to come undone after the last wreck. You'll notice the titanium knuckles are dented as well now. The left glove also got some damage on the wrist strap and the metal loop. I'm guessing I was grinding on the little metal loop and that's when the damage to the strap happened as well. Same glove: you can see the stingray at the wrist took a nice hit as well.

P7141018.jpg

Other view:
P7141017.jpg

Vortices are a little scraped up, but nothing wrong otherwise:
P7141015.jpg

P7141014.jpg

P7141013.jpg

P7141012.jpg

My only injury:
P7141009.jpg

Don't skimp out on gear. I promise, the money you save initially will not even be close to the money you pay later in medical bills. I took some ibuprofen immediately after I got back to the pit. I had a slight, slight amount of soreness in my lower back/hip after the wreck which increased marginally when I woke up Sunday. As I started moving around, it went away and hasn't come back unless you actually put pressure on it. Stretching and good gear really does work! The only thing that really hurt much at all was the heat burn.

Not pictured are my Knox Contour Race back protector, RS Taichi chest protector, and Know Cross Shorts. All played vital roles IMO. I landed hard and rolled hard. Those shorts did wonders I'm sure. I bit my tongue as well. I recently bought a mouth piece, but haven't had time to mess with it. I'll make sure it's in before I get back on the track again.
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• exalted512
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Now for the wreck:

Not that I've been having the greatest of luck anyway at MSRH this year...but this is my first 'real' crash on the track. I blew my engine at MSRH in February during the races, took my street bike out instructing Level 1 to earn some credits to sell to pay for the engine, when someone lost their coolant cap and dumped coolant on the exit of sugar and spice and I wrecked the street bike, causing quite a bit of cosmetic damage. First 'play day' at MSRH this year since the races and I was ready. Got my suspension set up by Roger and the bike was feeling good.

Went out in the second session after lunch and this was the result (crashed going into the carousel if you want to fast forward to about 1:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zvN1sHgrwk

I was coming in a little too hot attempting to catch a tow off of someone I had no business trying to catch a tow on...haha...much less trying to make up time. I went a little wide because I saw I was coming up on Allan and didn't want to have to touch the brakes any more than I had to. I knew I was coming in fast and that input might've upset the bike enough to crash. You see I hit a small bump, the suspension came up and when it came down, it never hooked back up. I might not have been off the bike quite enough, even though I was still pretty straight up and down. I don't think I was too hard on the brakes, I think I was just simply going too fast and MAYBE not being off the bike as much as I should have been. The speed had to be close to the 130 mph mark. I was going in too fast to even down shift from 5th :ian: (too scared..haha) For reference, the top of 4th is around 130.

Noob mistakes that I generally pride myself on not making, but I really wanted to push Saturday. Mission accomplished?

Damage:
    broke clip on
    broke clutch lever (fairly certain the perch is fine)
    broke master cylinder
    broken frame at the front engine mount bolt
    bent bolt on the foot peg, or a bent foot peg. havent looked closely enough to be sure yet
    dented (but not bad enough to do anything about) tank

Aside from the frame, it could be up and going again already. I have everything to fix it :( Even the body work damage is VERY minimal. Quality plastics and zip ties that break on impact go a longgggg way. Time to eat crow on being stubborn about my frame sliders, or at the very least, procrastinating to get a 'puck' that's shorter for the right side. Left side (impact side) did great. I think me and the bike both tumbled almost 50 yards. We went in the grass, over the pavement for the mini course, and went another 15 yards or so beyond that. Bike was pretty close to me when I stopped. I just laid there, through a thumbs up to the CW, and gathered my thoughts on what had just happened and if I was okay or not. Ambulance never rolled. A few laps later, a red flag came out for Griff. Thanks Griff, you scared the **** out of my wife...haha

The tanks on the 09 zx6s stick out quite a bit. A while back, I made some fiberglass tank sliders for them. Put them on with some bad **** 3M double sided tape. The left side has a small crack in it. They did their job well. The tank is not scraped up, but it is dented around where the slider was. My next set I will make slightly thinner. My thinking is that it was mostly a complete transfer of energy. By making them thinner, hopefully they WILL break and absorb some of that before it transfers to the tank. However, the MAIN purpose of these are to prevent the metal from contacting the pavement, scraping through, and catching on fire. Without a doubt, they did their job. There is not a scratch on the tank. The left one did pop off. I'm assuming after the tank dented, the tape didn't have as much tape on the tank, and came off. The right side was scraped up as well. No dent, no marks.

Pictures of the bike:
    P7141041.jpg

Swing arm is scraped from my boot from riding, not from the wreck:
    P7141040.jpg

P7141039.jpg

You can see how the tank slider transferred the energy around it and dented the tank at the edges of the slider
    P7141038.jpg

P7141037.jpg

Windscreen is still usable. Zipties rock!
    P7141036.jpg

P7141035.jpg

Cracked frame :( There's a spacer that I lost which is the reason for the gap between the engine and the frame
    P7141033.jpg

P7141032.jpg

P7141031.jpg

P7141030.jpg

P7141043.jpg

Hopefully the frame is repairable. I was planning on racing in a couple weeks, but that's not going to happen :(

There's another race in a couple months which will hopefully be doable.
    -Cody
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Good you got that high speed crash out of the way. Now you can focus on racing. Thats awesome you didn't get injured.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • exalted512
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Right? Now that I don't have to worry about keeping the bike pretty anymore, I can really push...lmao
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Sux man. Glad you are ok.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Glad you are okay! That was an awesome video.....well before the crash anyways.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Glad you had no major injuries. I hope your bike is fixable and you get back to doing what you love to do.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited July 2013
    Options
    You are correct when you say don't skimp on the safety apparel! Looks to me like your equipment prevented a much worse outcome! Glad you made it through this with such limited injuries to yourself.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,259
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Geeeeeezus ...... glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt.

In your helmet cam video, at about the 2:20 mark, the view of your bike going airborne over you is ..... :eek:
    Geeeeeezus ....

Dumb question of the day: the red X's that are laid out on the track that show up every so often on your video ? What's their function ?

Stay safe out there.
    Sal Palooza
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Glad you're OK man! Snapped that clip-on right on off.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • pdxfj
    pdxfj Posts: 376
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Good to hear you came out ok. I am a firm believer in wearing gear all the time. Very minor friction burn from your gear, but I'll take that over loosing skin.

I've had riders who choose not to wear gear in warmer weather heckle me a bit and wonder how I can wear full gear in warm weather. My canned response is "sweat washes off, road rash does not".
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited July 2013
    Options
    YOU ARE A F##KING NUTCASE !!!!! :cheesygrin:
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Ridin like you stole it huh! Any time you can walk away it is a blessing! Glad you are O.K! Too, bad you don't live near me! I specialize in welding machinery, and I'm sure that the frame repair would be no problemo for my shop!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited July 2013
    Options
    That is awesome, and sad at the same time..

Glad you are here to tell us about it. That makes the time I laid my bike down seem like child's play. I was picking gravel out of my butt cheek for days it seemed..
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Glad your OK
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Geeeeeezus ...... glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt.

In your helmet cam video, at about the 2:20 mark, the view of your bike going airborne over you is ..... :eek:
    Geeeeeezus ....

Dumb question of the day: the red X's that are laid out on the track that show up every so often on your video ? What's their function ?

Stay safe out there.

The camera is actually mounted on a fork attached mount. So the bike never went over me, thank God. If it would have, I probably would've never known. I closed my eyes and hoped for the best...lol.

The X's are put out to show newer riders the correct line. Some are different colors, indicating turn in points and where you should be upon exiting the track. Not a dumb question :)
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Glad you're OK man! Snapped that clip-on right on off.

Yup. That's what they're designed to do. The mount on the fork is separate. Throw a $10 pole in the mount and you're good as new!
    pdxfj wrote: »
    Good to hear you came out ok. I am a firm believer in wearing gear all the time. Very minor friction burn from your gear, but I'll take that over loosing skin.

I've had riders who choose not to wear gear in warmer weather heckle me a bit and wonder how I can wear full gear in warm weather. My canned response is "sweat washes off, road rash does not".

Agreed. I ride the street as well. I don't wear leathers, but I'm still in a jacket and overpants with boots. People ask me if I'm hot...well, yeah! But I enjoy riding. If it's too hot for gear - it's too hot to ride.
    YOU ARE A F##KING NUTCASE !!!!! :cheesygrin:

:cheesygrin:
    newbie308 wrote: »
    Ridin like you stole it huh! Any time you can walk away it is a blessing! Glad you are O.K! Too, bad you don't live near me! I specialize in welding machinery, and I'm sure that the frame repair would be no problemo for my shop!

I have a friend that I'm praying will be able to fix it!
    -Cody
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited July 2013
    Options
    When me and my wife saw this we just went straight for the vid and never saw the 120 timeline. Every high speed twist and turn had us cringing as we anticipated the crash
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I have had one crash where I was going nearly that fast (120ish in turn 3 at MPH) and the bike cartwheeled over me. Same as you, most of the damage was sliding damage to my gear and relatively minor damage to the bike. Love frame sliders right up to the point they catch the edge of the track and send the bike ballastic over you.

Glad you are OK as that looked pretty scary especially from crashing at that close to 0*.

Been watching the video a bit and from what I can see that bump definitely compressed and then unloaded the suspension pretty viciously, coupled with (even though not max braking) hard braking and just starting to tip it in, the tire seems to have just said, "You know what...eff this crap." and just let go.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    edited July 2013
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Agreed. I ride the street as well. I don't wear leathers, but I'm still in a jacket and overpants with boots. People ask me if I'm hot...well, yeah! But I enjoy riding. If it's too hot for gear - it's too hot to ride.
    -Cody

Bingo.
    And when they ask me if I am hot, I just reply that water is a lot cheaper than skin grafts.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Glad you're okay.
  • ratster
    ratster Posts: 324
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I hate that your frame broke,but glad your gear worked. I love my Shoei and Helds.

I'll have to show this to the girlfriend. She had a low speed get off 3 weeks ago on the dragon,she's still bruised up. Maybe your video will convince her that her gear really will protect her,if she would wear it.
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    CA music streamer
    marantz 6005
    Clear Day dbl.shotgun
    Morrow Xlr
    1.7 Maggies

Bedroom
    adcom Gfp750
    Adcom 555
    Rotel 1072
    CA tuner
    LsiM703
    Clear day dbl shotgun
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited July 2013
    Options
    My heart was pounding all through the video, glad you werent hurt seriously.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • exalted512
    edited July 2013
    Options
    ratster wrote: »
    I hate that your frame broke,but glad your gear worked. I love my Shoei and Helds.

I'll have to show this to the girlfriend. She had a low speed get off 3 weeks ago on the dragon,she's still bruised up. Maybe your video will convince her that her gear really will protect her,if she would wear it.

Please do. Show her this as well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

Stripped the bike down tonight. Everything seems to be fine. Dropping the engine tomorrow and sending the bike off to a friend this weekend who is going to see if can fix it or not...fingers crossed!
    -Cody
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Wow, great vid. Glad you are ok. Three questions:

1) How much of this was due to that other rider passing you just before you entered the turn? I've gotten in trouble myself many times that way. Testosterone just kicks in and says, "aw, hell no! BANZAI!!" and makes you do something stupid. Usually I realize I'm about to do something stupid the instant just before I do it, but by then it's too late.

2) Is the bike going to be race worthy even if you can fix it? The term "frame damage" just raises a huge red flag in my mind.

3) How much of this gear do you wear on the street? I wear quite a bit more than most people I see out on the roads (full suit, helmet, gloves, boots), but I don't wear a neck brace or a back protector, although the jacket is padded on the back. I already get puzzled looks from idiot Darwin Award nominees riding in shorts/t-shirts/no helmet, so I don't care about that, just wondering how useful a back protector and neck brace would be on the streets.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Glad you are ok. Stay safe!
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Glad that you're ok.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Someone is watching over. Glad you didnt get hurt too bad. I ride with tanktop & shorts & sandals all the time unless its ride night. I own 3-4 helmets that get used only if i leave state. Dont do highways. Dont go fast. I watch video's like these & i have to say youall are crazy. Lol. My son has one of these fast bikes & he enjoys it also. I am thankful he wears gear also. I love watching races & hope everyone is safe. Good luck fixing you ride. Hope its fixable. Be safe and have fun. Ride it like ya stole it
    Randy/Maine
  • ZLTFUL
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Syndil wrote: »
    3) How much of this gear do you wear on the street? I wear quite a bit more than most people I see out on the roads (full suit, helmet, gloves, boots), but I don't wear a neck brace or a back protector, although the jacket is padded on the back. I already get puzzled looks from idiot Darwin Award nominees riding in shorts/t-shirts/no helmet, so I don't care about that, just wondering how useful a back protector and neck brace would be on the streets.

As a retired racer and track day junkie and having had the back protector and chest protector save my a$$ more than a few times on the track, I have to say, I feel naked without full gear on the street. I just think about how many more things there are to hit on the street when tumbling after an off....

As far as the Leatt brace on the street, I am sure there are instances where it is going to save your butt. But I tend to only wear mine on the dirtbike. It's one of the few calculated risks I take on the street.

Think about the types of injuries that you are most likely to receive on the street versus on the track.
    On the track, there is usually far less blunt force trauma but there is more sliding, bending, breaking types of injuries. There is usually far more run off area and while people do tumble, it is far less likely than on the street.

Now on the street, you are far more prone to blunt force traumas, tumbling and bending/breaking injuries because you have trees, poles, posts, cars, trucks, curbs, small and large mammals, garbage cans...see what I am getting at?
    Chest and back protectors are going to help distribute those impact forces better than not having them at all.

I am a total ATGATT fanatic and tend to not even ride with people who wear no gear. Most of my riding friends are ATGATT tools too. But I aslo believe in to each their own. I like to minimize the risk as much as I possibly can without detracting from the ride.

• exalted512
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Syndil wrote: »
    Wow, great vid. Glad you are ok. Three questions:

1) How much of this was due to that other rider passing you just before you entered the turn? I've gotten in trouble myself many times that way. Testosterone just kicks in and says, "aw, hell no! BANZAI!!" and makes you do something stupid. Usually I realize I'm about to do something stupid the instant just before I do it, but by then it's too late.

2) Is the bike going to be race worthy even if you can fix it? The term "frame damage" just raises a huge red flag in my mind.

1. All of it. No way would I have gone in that fast otherwise...lol. I usually grab 2 down shifts. I was trying to start only doing 1, but that time I never grabbed any.

2. Yeah. The frame is broken at the front motor mount. It's in on the of the pictures. I'm all about safety. If I didn't think it would be fine, I wouldn't trust my life with it.

3. If I'm commuting, I wear a jacket and over pants (armored pants that go over your regular pants). Depending on the weather is depending on what jacket. If it's not super hot, I'm in a leather jacket. Then textile, then mesh on the 90*+ days. I also wear my helmet, gloves, and more of a street riding boot, but it's still a motorcycle boot.

I'm not nearly as protected on the street, and honestly, I feel a lot less safe. Without a doubt, the track is sooo much safer than the street. No cars, everyone is alert, no curbs if you run off, and you're wearing the most amount of protective gear.

If I'm out 'on the twisties', I dress like I do at the track. Having said that, I don't really do that much anymore.
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Someone is watching over. Glad you didnt get hurt too bad. I ride with tanktop & shorts & sandals all the time unless its ride night. I own 3-4 helmets that get used only if i leave state. Dont do highways. Dont go fast. I watch video's like these & i have to say youall are crazy. Lol. My son has one of these fast bikes & he enjoys it also. I am thankful he wears gear also. I love watching races & hope everyone is safe. Good luck fixing you ride. Hope its fixable. Be safe and have fun. Ride it like ya stole it

Riding without gear is way crazier than the track. You could slip on some oil/gravel at a stop light and if the bike landed on you with flip flops on, it ain't going to be fun.
    -Cody
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited July 2013
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    1. All of it. No way would I have gone in that fast otherwise...lol. I usually grab 2 down shifts. I was trying to start only doing 1, but that time I never grabbed any.

2. Yeah. The frame is broken at the front motor mount. It's in on the of the pictures. I'm all about safety. If I didn't think it would be fine, I wouldn't trust my life with it.

3. If I'm commuting, I wear a jacket and over pants (armored pants that go over your regular pants). Depending on the weather is depending on what jacket. If it's not super hot, I'm in a leather jacket. Then textile, then mesh on the 90*+ days. I also wear my helmet, gloves, and more of a street riding boot, but it's still a motorcycle boot.

I'm not nearly as protected on the street, and honestly, I feel a lot less safe. Without a doubt, the track is sooo much safer than the street. No cars, everyone is alert, no curbs if you run off, and you're wearing the most amount of protective gear.

If I'm out 'on the twisties', I dress like I do at the track. Having said that, I don't really do that much anymore.

Riding without gear is way crazier than the track. You could slip on some oil/gravel at a stopi light and if the bike landed on you with flip flops on, it ain't going to be fun.
    -Cody
    .Theres a difference between flip flops & sandals. Lol. .your correct. My friend was riding and slipped on some dirt & broke 3 ribs. He had a helmet & leather jacket on. He was tied up for 3 weeks in hospital. He didnt ride the ride for 3 months
    Randy/Maine
  • exalted512
    edited July 2013
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    .Theres a difference between flip flops & sandals. Lol.

Not as far as protection falling off your bike goes ;)
    -Cody