Finally bought a pair of headphones: Logitech UE6000

Options
StantonZ
StantonZ Posts: 439
edited September 2013 in Headphones
After a long-time search to replace my old pair of (broken) noise cancelling headphones, I finally settled on the Logitech Ultimate Ears brand/line. I was holding out for Bluetooth+active NC, but ultimately decided they weren't worth the price and (short) battery life (although the UE9000's sounded better than any other BT headset); in addition, BT performance is usually compromised compared to "wired" performance. The Logitech's also double as a (stereo) headset, with a mic included on the headphone cord. While they are middle-of-the-road on noise cancelling (which is good enough for me), they are OUTSTANDING as a straight headphone. I looked at: Parrot, Sennheiser, Beats, and Sony (Sennheiser 500/550 would have been my second choice).
Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
Post edited by StantonZ on

Comments

• coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited July 2013
    Options
    very nice choice, I really like mine. great sounding can for the price.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised the first time I listened to the UE9000 at BB. The other UE models are pretty decent too. I like Logitech products in general but every now and then the step out of their computer product realm and produce a product which rally impresses.

Another to consider is the Harman Kardon HARKAR-BT. I picked up a pair of these at BB on clearance and, after burn-in, I can't help but smile when I listen to these things. They have wired stereo as well as bluetooth, though don't have the mic or NC. The bluetooth utilizes the APT-X as does the UE 9000, which is supposed to deliver better sound quality than regular BT. I haven't tried them as bluetooth yet. The design of the HK is a little odd but quite comfortable.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • StantonZ
    edited July 2013
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    I was pleasantly surprised the first time I listened to the UE9000 at BB. The other UE models are pretty decent too. I like Logitech products in general but every now and then the step out of their computer product realm and produce a product which rally impresses.

You know that Logitech bought a company called "Ultimate Ears" a couple of years ago (and managed NOT to screw it up); they even keep their name in the product line!
    skrol wrote: »
    Another to consider is the Harman Kardon HARKAR-BT. I picked up a pair of these at BB on clearance and, after burn-in, I can't help but smile when I listen to these things. They have wired stereo as well as bluetooth, though don't have the mic or NC. The bluetooth utilizes the APT-X as does the UE 9000, which is supposed to deliver better sound quality than regular BT. I haven't tried them as bluetooth yet. The design of the HK is a little odd but quite comfortable.

I have "heard" good things about APT-X as well, but have never been able to verify it because I can't find any portable devices that are APT-X capable (I think the iPhone 5 is, but I have no interest in upgrading right now).
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited July 2013
    Options
    They have the KARKAR-BT on clearance here too. I'm very very tempted to go buy them....
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I don't own a pair but I have heard them. And in their category they're tough to beat. Nice phones! (the 9000s, though, are better).

Enjoy!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Since they were on the Wall of Fame at Inner Fidelity, and offered noise canceling. I thought I would pick up a pair too. Going to find out if the music sounds better with these than my Audio-Technica ANC7b's. I really like the 7b's for noise canceling, but the music just sounds too thin with them. Also curious to see if they sound better than the Audio-Technica M50's that I have too. (They are both pretty close in price.)

Curious to hear what the UE 6000's sound like in passive and active noise canceling. I doubt they will beat my IEM's for sound, but I find it a hassle to fly with IEM's. Seems like I'm always having to pull them out to listen to something / someone.

Should be hear Tuesday,
    Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • StantonZ
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Will check back here for your comments/opinions. I haven't compare the Logitech's with any of the brands you mentioned, but I like them so far (better w/out noise cancelling, but what isn't?).
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I've had the UE6000's about a month now, they may or may not be broken in. They have 75 or so hours on them and I'm pretty impressed with the sound.

Comparing the noise canceling to the Audio-Technica ANC7b's, the 7b's win for noise canceling & the UE6000's win hands down for sound. The UE6000's do a pretty fair job of knocking down ambient noise when flying and make the flight much more enjoyable. They make the 7b's pretty useless because that is about the only time I would carry / use them. Better to have great musicality and fair noise cancelling than the other way around.

They longest I have worn them is about 3.5 hours and they were very comfortable the whole time. The sound is bit more pure without the noise canceling (meaning they sound more like my IEM's). The noise cancelling also seems to give the sound a bit more oomph and its also colored a bit towards the bass side of things, but I wouldn't call it unpleasing. I also found that by playing with the equalizer on my Cowon player, I could get the changes pretty close to the way they sound without the noise canceling.

It's really not a fair compare the UE6000's to my Westone 4r IEM's musically. I do prefer to use the UE6000's when flying over the IEM's. They seem to get rid more background noise, than the 4r's even when getting a superb fit.

The comparison to the Audio-Technica M50's to the UE6000's is a far better comparison and I would say that I prefer the UE6000's. (If your a bass head, you would still prefer the M50's). Considering the price of these is pretty equal, I would recommend the UE6000's with the advantage of noise canceling should you ever need it.

The only thing that I would change is how they collapse. I prefer the rotating earpieces that sit flat in a case compared to the hinges, that the UE6000's have that have the earpieces collapse on themselves. All in all, very happy with the purchase and I think they are a pretty good bang for the buck headphone.

I didn't try the UE9000's. I thought about buying both and returning the one I didn't like. I didn't really need Bluetooth in a headphone and at double the price of the UE6000's I was choking a bit on the price.

Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • StantonZ
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Finally took a couple of trips (flights) with my UE6000's and was VERY happy with them. I already knew they sounded great, but I didn't expect them to be so comfortable after wearing them for so long. Now I'm really glad I got rid of my old (no name) travel headphones!
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited September 2013
    Options
    FYI for those considering this can... my local best buy had them on "sale" for 99.99 and i'm guessing it might be clearance b/c its no longer on their website so if your store still has some you might find a similar price. also Amazon has them for 149.99 shame i bought mine at 169 3months ago.. great can at its MSRP its a steal at the lower prices
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Weird, looks like the Sony MDR-1R price dropped also, not sure when that happened. If you can get the Logitech for $99 that's a steal. If they're at $150 or more then I'd recommend a look at the Sony as well as some people may find them worth the extra $50.