Any experience with Definitive Technology Powerfield PF15TLPLUS subwoofer?

Options
Mystery
Mystery Posts: 2,546
edited July 2013 in Speakers
I had a pair of Definitive Technology Prosub 80's and recently added their big brother, Powerfield PF15TLPLUS subwoofer.
This is 500 watts sub and supposedly goes down to 14hz bass extension but I'd be happy if it goes anywhere close to 20hz.
Can't find a manual online on this.
I'll contact Def Tech about the specs.
Anyone using this or similar model?

On a funny note, these three together look like small 2.1 computer speaker system; Prosub 80 as satellites and the PF15TLPLUS as subwoofer. :lol:

Definitive Technology Powerfield Subwoofers Prosub 8 and PF15TLPLUS (2)-small.jpg

Definitive Technology Powerfield Subwoofers Prosub 8 and PF15TLPLUS (3)-small.jpg

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
Post edited by Mystery on

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited July 2013
    Options
    A friend of mine has that sub. Its a beast and fills his large room with vaulted.ceilings just fine. Call def tech. Their customer service is top notch.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Had the 12" version for quite a few years, loved it. The only issue I had, was the amp over heating and shutting down. I had a small fan that I would turn on while using, wouldn't shut off after that. Gave it to a friend about 8 years ago with the fan, he still uses it :)

Rocked one of the pro sub80's too. Ran it as a L&R main sub along with the 12. together they rocked my house for sure :cheesygrin:
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I had the predecessor to yours, the Powerfield 1500 years back. Then I got an SVS & discovered what a real subwoofer was like. I'm not going to say it was a bad sub, I did enjoy it while I had it, but DefTech specs are extremely optimistic.
  • Mystery
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Thanks for comments.
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I had the predecessor to yours, the Powerfield 1500 years back. Then I got an SVS & discovered what a real subwoofer was like. I'm not going to say it was a bad sub, I did enjoy it while I had it, but DefTech specs are extremely optimistic.
    It's so weird that a lot of users say they are really good while bunch of others say they are just okay.
    From my research of online threads, the 14Hz is really optimistic but if it goes around 24Hz, I don't need any lower.
    Even those who use high end subwoofers call this PF15TL+ a very good subwoofer down to 30 hz but can't compete with SVS or Velodyne below that.
    I haven't and can't test it to it's limits due to neighbors.

Even the smaller Prosub 80 shakes everything at quarter volume and more than enough for my room.
    I got this 15 incher because the price was very good, around a hundy and is in excellent cosmetic condition.
    I almost paid that much for the 8" Prosub 80 which by itself is very good.
    I'm sure SVS or HSU will beat it but I can't find a 15" or even a 12" of those for this price. :mrgreen:

This morning I watched few movie trailers like 'GI Joe' and it was not loud but the floor rumbled when the missile hit London.
    The woofer was not even visibly moving but room was pressurized really good.

Pink Floyd's heart beat really hits in the chest with this sub.

• theshawn
    theshawn Posts: 70
    edited July 2013
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    A friend of mine has that sub. Its a beast and fills his large room with vaulted.ceilings just fine. Call def tech. Their customer service is top notch.

Hey I know that guy too and I concur. :biggrin:

I have the Powerfield 15 sub (not TL+) and Def Tech sent me info and speaker spikes for it free of charge after I bought it used. They were awesome (in this case a guy named Chet) so I'd definitely contact them for info.
  • Mystery
    edited July 2013
    Options
    theshawn wrote: »
    Hey I know that guy too and I concur. :biggrin:

I have the Powerfield 15 sub (not TL+) and Def Tech sent me info and speaker spikes for it free of charge after I bought it used. They were awesome (in this case a guy named Chet) so I'd definitely contact them for info.

I will contact deftech.
    They have excellent customer service.
    I may get spikes as well.

• Mystery
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Got the manual from DefTech.
    Here are the specs:

Powerfield®PF15TL+/PF1500TL+
    PF15TL+ Dimensions 17"W x 17 5/8"D x 17 1/4"H
    PF1500TL+ Dimensions 17"W x 17 5/16"D x 19 1/2"H
    Frequency Response 14 Hz–150 Hz
    Driver Complement One 15" woofer with polymer laminated cone
    Amplifier 500 watts Infinite Power Source with MOSFET output stage
    Low Level High Pass Filter 12 dB/octave continuously variable (40 to 150 Hz)
    Speaker Level High Pass Filter 6 dB/octave (80 Hz)
    Low Level Low Pass Filter 24 dB/octave continuously variable (40 to 150 Hz)
    plus Unfiltered LFE direct coupled input
    Phase Control 0°–180° continuously variable
    Fuse Size 4-amp 250-volt slow-blow fuse, Bussman MDL or
    Littelfuse 313 type

I assume the 14Hz response is at very low unusable dB level.