Searching Club Polk - suggestions

EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,699
edited April 2014 in The Clubhouse
Most of us know this, but I thought it was worth repeating/posting about to help others when they attempt to look for information on Club Polk.

The Search function built into the site does work, however it doesnt like special character like -, and also just can be quirky sometimes. There is a better way to search for information using outside search engines. I use using Google's Advanced Search feature.

**NOTE** These instructions are for Google ONLY. I am sure other search engines (bing, etc) have the same ability but the instructions may differ.

1. Go to Google.com and type in a search Criteria and then add site:polkaudio.com/forums to the end of your search criteria Google will return all the search results that meet that. If you are happy enough with that your done. If you want to get more specific, see next step

2. You can then go to the bottom of Google's results to the "Advanced" search and use even more criteria to filter results by how old the thread is, what pages to ignore, etc.

Using this feature returns FAR more results than using the internal search on this site. With that said you may have lots more posts that are not useful simply because your search for a model number will pull posts where people have that piece of gear listed in their signature.

For those of you like me that are lazy, here is a link to a search already setup, you just need to put in your search phrase/words

Step 1 Search Link Here:

Step 2 Search Link here

P.S. If anyone wanted to type up instructions or suggestions for other search engines feel free to post.

MODS: Can we make this a sticky or something so it doesnt get lost in the threads?
Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

My system makes me happy and changes too often for me to care to update a list..... you guys are good at spending my money!
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,111
    edited June 2013
    Great advice Dan.

That site:<your site here> search works great if you are trying to find some specific item on Craigslist or any other site for that matter.

And a second for the sticky.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    Silverline Sonatina MkI, LSi15, LSi7, LSiC, LSiFX, LS/FX, DSW MP2000
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 3,986
    edited June 2013
    I tried the pre setup one and.....GREAT!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,699
    edited June 2013
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Great advice Dan.

That site:<your site here> search works great if you are trying to find some specific item on Craigslist or any other site for that matter.

And a second for the sticky.

If looking on craigslist personally I suggest the site searchtempest.com. It works great for CL as it searches all craigslist sites within X miles of X zip code and you can also include ebay and amazon search results as well.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

My system makes me happy and changes too often for me to care to update a list..... you guys are good at spending my money!
  • DForemanDForeman Posts: 436
    edited June 2013
    Didn't know you could do a Google search for a specific site. Thanks for the info.
    Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw 7500 Amp
    Parasound P5Pre
    Marantz SA 14s1 SACD/CD
    Polk Audio Speakers: LSi15 Fronts, LC65FX Surround, LSiC Center
    Oppo BDP-103
    edited June 2013
    bump, just a mention this thread is now a sticky so we can refer to it in the future for folks having trouble using the internal forum search engine.

• dudeinaroomdudeinaroom Posts: 3,625
    edited August 2013
    Wow..I did this a few years ago. Link. Guess mine wasn't good enough for a sticky.
    TV speakers
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,499
    edited August 2013
    Dan's politicking for Polkie of the year....... Dude
    edited August 2013
    Wow..I did this a few years ago. Link. Guess mine wasn't good enough for a sticky.

Wow, never saw yours. Its pretty good as well.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Dan's politicking for Polkie of the year....... Dude

Nah.... I aint nice enough for that..... getting cantankerous in my old age.....

• dudeinaroomdudeinaroom Posts: 3,625
    edited August 2013
    Polkie of the year should always remain among any of the founders, designers, and engineers of polkaudio for bring us all such a wonderful product at an affordable price. How many affordable speakers do you know that can last almost 30 years when properly used? I know of one I have a pair of there speakers that will be turning 30, a year after I turn 40. Also another pair of which would be just of the legal drinking age. And to boot, you can still get replacement drivers....rock on polk!
    TV speakers
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 1,218
    edited August 2013
    good info . . . Thanks Dan!

G
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    PS Audio AC-12
    Wires MIT S3.3
  • amb426amb1amb426amb1 Posts: 143
    edited April 2014
    great sticky...will be able to use this ongoing.
  • Here is an example of what I think Polk needs on their home site (more info). Of course there will be the nay slayers, but still a lot of people shop by watts, frequencies and RMS even though the stronger audiophiles know there is much more to it, etc.
    Anyway, I think Polk should put their tech specs with as much info as possible, including recommended RMS, capabilities and so on. It seems to be quite the opposite now. It does have pretty pictures though.
    Same can be said for tech specs on a Google search.
    My example here:
    I down graded my Sony receiver as it could no longer be the power needed to abuse the Monitor 60's, so, I also misplaced my calibrator for my Onkyo (the mic).
    So, in the interface, I needed frequency response settings, as I was going back to 60's from the 40's, and upgrading the front height from junky Sony bookshelves to the 40's.
    Of course books to my Monitors are somewhere unknown, in a box after moving, so..And I couldn't find the info on Polk's site, go figure....
    Cnet told me my specs.
    To me, Cnet doesn't sell polks, Polk does.
    Fix yer website for a shot at increased sales.
    Even if just another in depth link to click so you can save room for the pretty pictures that sit where useful info used to be.
    My 2 cents.
    :*
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CS2
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Surrounds - polkaudio R150's
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models