Amp and sub help.

Berlin76
Berlin76 Posts: 1
edited May 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
I plan on installing 4 mm651 in my 23' boat but I'm stuck on a sub I no I want a 10" Free air due to spac I. Can't get a boxed sub. But do have an ideal spot for a free air. Second question is. What amp should I use. I really just want one 5 channel amp. Suggestions would be great.
Post edited by Berlin76 on

Comments

• Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited May 2013
    Don't use a bass-reflex or ported sub.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2013
    How are you going to mount this? You do know that a free air sub still has to be sealed off from the back wave right? Free air subs are meant to work sitting out in the wide open. Theyre meant to work in very large enclosures like your trunk. Like say if you were wanting to mount a sub under the rear deck of your car. It would use the trunk as the enclosure but youd still have to have it sealed off. Leaving it unsealed, the backwave coming off the back of the cone will cancel out a TON of your output. If you have room for a free air sub, you probably have room for a sub box. That's going to be your best bet I think.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D