Wanted Sony SS-M9

audiocr381ve
audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
edited December 2013 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I missed out on an opportunity to buy a pair of these a few years ago and have regretted it ever since. Looking for a pair in southern california.

Email is shanethedrummer AT gmail
Post edited by audiocr381ve on

Comments

• jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited April 2013
    Too bad... I have a pair in Hawaii available. So close and yet so far...
  • audiocr381ve
    edited April 2013
    Gosh, I wonder what shipping would be like.
  • jon s
    edited April 2013
    @300 lbs... maybe $1000... not sure. i sent an amp (50lbs) for repair to St Louis, MO... It was $300 each way.
  • audiocr381ve
    edited April 2013
    jon s wrote: »
    @300 lbs... maybe $1000... not sure. i sent an amp (50lbs) for repair to St Louis, MO... It was $300 each way.

Sheesh. What's your asking price on the speakers?
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2013
    Greetings Jon!

How about a picture for a tease? Scompracer and I fell in love with Esavinon's M7's last weekend. I'd love to hear a pair of M9s sometime.

Good luck on your search Shane!

I think forum member Pycroft has a pair in PA
    Carl

• audiocr381ve
    edited April 2013
    Thanks Carl! Ye, Pycroft sure does and I'm very jealous :)
  • audiocr381ve
    edited May 2013
    I will own a pair of these one day...
  • audiocr381ve
    edited May 2013
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 830
    edited November 2013
    Hi. Here's a set of SS-m3's in NC http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/4203109736.html
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk LSiM 702s x 4 on the Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited November 2013
    I've owned m7 s and currently love my ssm9s. Good luck on the search. They will be hard to find.

:-(

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • jon s
    edited November 2013
    Sorry... I did not see that someone requested me to post pics... Here are a couple... Sorry about the poor quality, the room is painted dark gray/black and the flash on the iPhone is not strong enough to compensate... I had to adjust the exposure and brightness which made the pictures "noisy"...

The Sony SS-M9 speakers are driven by the Marantz PM7200 Class A integrated amplifier, Marantz SA8260 SACD player and a Oppo BDP-95 setup. They are connected via Audioquest Rocket 44 speaker cables and Diamondback analog interconnects. The adjacent Polk LSi15s are the left and right channels for my big screen and are driven by a Pioneer SC-67 Digital amplified AVR. The source is the Oppo BDP-95 or a Pioneer BDP-09FD. The display is an old JVC RS-1 D-ILA projector to a 105" Stewart 1.85 AR StudioTek 1.3 gain micro-perforated screen. The 15" subwoofer is on of two DIYs made from a Dayton Audio HO driver and a 500-watt Dayton Audio amp. I am planning to make another sub made with two 12" Polk DXi124 car subs and a 1000-watt DA amp by the end of the year.

If I should ever opt for a 4K system, the screen would have to go as the perforations and the 4K pixels would visibly interact creating a bad moire effect. One of my friends had the same screen and he encountered the same issue.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,618
    edited December 2013
    The SS-M9 is definitely a speaker that is worth going out of your way for. They are rare, unique, well designed, and I believe they can outperform ANY speaker in the under $1500 used market.

Going to Buffalo to get my set was the best audio move that I've ever made. It helped that I also snagged the full era correct ES component system with the purchase, but even the speakers alone would have been worth it.

Since picking these up in 2010, I have not once thought of parting with them. God willing, I will keep them for the rest of my days.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?103782-Life-after-SDA&highlight=ssm9
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited December 2013
    Ditto to that Bill. I also picked up the center channel, and now my SS-M9s are used for 2 channel and home theatre. Just awesome :-)
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • walleyeny
    walleyeny Posts: 36
    edited December 2013
    Used market 4- $7500.00
  • walleyeny
    edited December 2013
    You may want to check out A few months ago on Audiogon there was a pair listed , hope that turns into a lead!
  • toucanet
    toucanet Posts: 580
    edited December 2013
    walleyeny wrote: »
    Used market 4- $7500.00

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

That's good to know.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,618
    edited December 2013
    toucanet wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

That's good to know.

I'm sure that's for the ED version. I have no idea what source he is using, but it seems high. In the past 4 years, I've never seen the original M9 sell used for more than about $1500, usually less. The ED version really doesn't show up for sale much at all, but they probably fall in the $4-6k range IF they have working super-tweeters which seems rarer and rarer.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • walleyeny
    edited December 2013
    You are correct the Ed version ! Super tweeter on top .