Bioshock Infinite

azaudio
azaudio Posts: 10
edited April 2013 in Video Games
Is anybody else playing this? I recently purchased a new radeon hd 7870 graphics card and it came with codes to download Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and 3DMark. So far the game is great, mini boss battles have kept the action flowing and fresh. Feels very similar to previous Bioshock titles with a few added features. I have not had a chance to play Tomb Raider yet.
Post edited by azaudio on

Comments

• kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2013
    I'm about 80% of the way through Bioshock Infinite on the 360. Freakin' amazing game.

The new Tomb Raider is also pretty outstanding. I've been too busy to play it for more than an hour (and Bioshock Infinite takes priority), but the hour or so I've played was pretty slick! The multiplayer, however... totally pointless.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited April 2013
    I haven't checked it out yet, but am dying to pick this up for the PC. The graphics are mind boggling. I haven't played previous iterations of this game. How is the game play/flow AZ?

I picked up Hitman Absolution for 10 bucks, as Steam was having a sale on it this weekend. I'll probably hop into Bioshock after finishing that one.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2013
    Whoa whoa whoa... You don't need to play the original Bioshock to play Bioshock Infinite... but you NEED TO PLAY THE ORIGINAL BIOSHOCK. Like NOW. Seriously the first FPS that I would consider "art" and is definitely important if you're passionate about gaming. I would go so far as to say that Bioshock was the turning point for having truly great stories in games. Just puttin' that out there.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • blairfrischx
    blairfrischx Posts: 259
    edited April 2013
    It really is an amazing game in terms of gameplay and storyline. At no point did it get boring, which is a rare feat nowadays.

I have to say, though - some parts do get a bit tedious playing through on Hard mode. It is a very rewarding experience actually having to try, but the Handymen are a giant pain. I've died to them more times than the rest of the game combined.

I would also like to second playing the original BioShock. It has the best sense of morality in a game I've ever experienced, and the entire game from start to finish is very rewarding. Seriously, GO PLAY BIOSHOCK IF YOU HAVEN'T. You can skip on BioShock 2 if you want.
  • chefkungfu
    chefkungfu Posts: 638
    edited April 2013
    +1 for Bioshock Infinite.
    SRT Seismic System with dual PSW1200's
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited April 2013
    I agree the original Bioshock was a terrific game. I wasn't impressed with Bioshock 2 because it felt too much like the original Bioshock, and it sounds to me like Bioshock Infinite is more of the same.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • blairfrischx
    edited April 2013
    Syndil wrote: »
    I agree the original Bioshock was a terrific game. I wasn't impressed with Bioshock 2 because it felt too much like the original Bioshock, and it sounds to me like Bioshock Infinite is more of the same.

Disclaimer: I don't know if what I'm about to say constitutes any sort of detestable spoilers. I would hope not.

It's really not more of the same. Combat mechanics are very different, there is more diversity in guns and plasmids/vigors, and the opening few chapters really set the tone for the entire game. Whereas Rapture in BioShock and BioShock 2 was set as a "utopian" (read: dystopian) society based on freedom from religion and the power of the human body, BioShock Infinite is set as a utopian society based on freedom through religion. It is a very different take on the same style of storyline, and it does a good job of differentiating itself from its predecessors. Rather than rummaging through the ruins of a failed underwater society, you're exploring a beautiful floating city. On top of all that, there are some very good plot twists strewn throughout and the entire storyline depends strongly on themes derived from time travel / parallel universes and morals derived from religion.

The main complaint people had with BioShock 2 wasn't even the gameplay or the fact that it was much like the first - it was the crippling DRM for PC users. Granted, it was more of the same storyline from the first and couldn't quite carry the emotional impact because you were stuck playing as a character with whom you couldn't quite empathize in a world you'd already explored quite a lot in the first game. I accept all those things, and that's why I never could bring myself to finish that game.

But BioShock Infinite is different.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited April 2013
    Haha, sounds like I've got another one to add to the list then. Thanks Kunta and Blair. I'll be playing the original Bioshock first, as that seems to be the best path.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • blairfrischx
    edited April 2013
    And just to reaffirm your suspicions, it is amazing on PC. I have an Eyefinity setup, so it is just beautiful to behold. I spent way longer than I would have normally just exploring the world in between fights.
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2013
    I actually really enjoyed Bioshock 2 and thought it was a pretty worthy sequel. It just couldn't quite meet the level of story told in the first one, and you could tell that a different team worked on it. Ken Levine wasn't at the helm of that one, and honestly, I don't think you can separate him from the franchise and keep the same level of awesomeness. Fortunately, Levine was in charge of Infinite, and it shows.

Not to split hairs, but about Infinite being "more of the same": DEFINITELY NOT. Story-wise, it takes you to some way more unfortunate and thought-provoking places, as (not spoiling anything you don't see immediately in the game) the city in the sky is basically a tool for racial separation. What's great about the game thus far is that it addresses racism in a thought-provoking way that isn't exploitative. Additionally, I think traveling/fighting with the skyhook in Infinite is a nice addition. Also, I can't say enough about what an achievement Elizabeth is for this genre of game. They did an outstanding job of creating a character that aids you in combat but also gradually grows on you in a way that really gets you emotionally involved in what happens to her. Hell, I kinda' hate that my non-gaming friends will never experience the development of that character the way I am, as I think it is done better than most movies and television. The only other game that I can think of that got me that attached to a non-player controlled character is Half-Life 2's Alyx Vance.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2013
    P.S. - If you're a PC gamer, Bioshock 1 and 2 can be had CHEAP. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/02/rapturous-deal-bioshock-1-and-2-for-4-from-gamefly/
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • blairfrischx
    edited April 2013
    Just finished the game on hard mode after dying on the last mission many, many times.

That ending...wow. I'm so glad I avoided all spoilers while playing. I didn't see that coming.
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, I beat it on normal last night. WOW. Been talking about it with a friend all day. I love any game that makes you want to talk about it, and it's killing me that friends haven't finished it yet!

Gonna try 1999 mode later and see how brutal it is. :razz:
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited April 2013
    Never played any of the Bioshock games but found that the Bioshock 2 game had some awesome songs in it. who could forget The Pied Pipers song "Dream"?
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2013
    I'm about 12 hours in and I absolutely do NOT want this game to end. This could very well be the crowning jewel of the PS3 (and this coming from someone who felt the first Bioshock to be a bit overrated).
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited April 2013
    My son played it and beat it in under two days. He loved it!
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2013
    I have the 2 bioshocks just sitting here for ps3 but I sold the ps3 :eek: I never got the pleasure to play em