Kind of a funny story...

Options
hochpt21
hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
edited March 2013 in The Clubhouse
So..........

The wife and kids go swimming today and leave at around 10a. "Be back around 2," she says. Awesome, 4 hours of free time. I spin some vinyl for about an hour and decide to get my a$$ up and excercise. I take my new squeezebox boom out onto the 3 season porch to plug it in and get ready to do some work on the elliptical machine.

Get the boom set up and get ready to go inside to change out of my PJ's. Uh oh...the door is locked. I had unlocked the dead bolt to get out there, but the actual door knob was locked from the outside only.

Ok... no big deal, let's think about this for a second. Porch door is locked, front door is locked, deck door is locked, wife left through the garage and that door is closed and locked, side garage door is locked. Ok, this sucks!!

I am locked on my porch, it is 27 degrees outside, 38 degrees in the porch and I have on some thin pj pants, a sweat shirt and BARE FEET!

With 3 hours until the wife got home I started thinking about options. The closest neighbour is at least a couple hundred yards away with 6" of snow on the ground and I don't even know if anyone is home. I'm not gonna die, so I don't need to break a window.

So I see someone with a truck about 50 yards away parked on the road at the end of my back yard. He is messing around with his truck. I take two floor mats that were on the porch and kind of wrap them around my feet and tuck them in to my pants. I start making my way through the snow in my back yard. The guy finally hears me yelling at him and comes over to let me use his cell phone.

Of course my wife doesn't anwer because she is at the waterpark! So I leave a message and a text.

I go back to the porch and my feet are FROZEN (those floormats aren't meant to be used as shoes I guess!)

Luckilly, there is a blanket on the porch so I wrap my feet and keep trying to wiggle my toes. Luckily, since I was out there getting the boom set up, I did have music. So I jammed out to a little Zappa and Bowie while sitting on a medicine ball.

After a while I really started getting cold, so I hopped on the elliptical machine. It was ice cold on my feet, so I folded up the blanket on one foot and used some dish towels on the other.

Then I just started going. I didn't go hard enough to sweat hard, because I didn't want to be sweaty when it was so cold, but I went hard enough to keep the blood flowing.

Switched over to Alice In Chains playlist and did a few pushups and situps.

I ended up "working out" / "surviving" for about 2.5 hours until the wife finally came home. (Didn't see the messages)

Wow did (do) I feel like an idiot :redface:

I guess that's one way to force myself to work out....
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
Post edited by hochpt21 on

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Been there before...just a little funnier when it happens to someone else...:razz:
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited March 2013
    Options
    NOW, would be a good time to get an extra "stash key" to hide outside your house for the next such occasion!
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited March 2013
    Options
    That sucks! I'm guessing ya'll must have indoor water parks up there?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Didn't drop below 60 last night. High of 85 today. Great time of year in central Texas. :cheesygrin:
  • hochpt21
    edited March 2013
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    NOW, would be a good time to get an extra "stash key" to hide outside your house for the next such occasion!

Exactly! :cheesygrin:

Ended up not being a really big deal. But there's a few moments in there where I'm like..."Do I Bruce Lee this window? Can't be more than a couple hundred bucks!"
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited March 2013
    Options
    2.5 hours of working out.
    You probably look like lou ferrigno by now...

they make movies about stuff like this.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2013
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Didn't drop below 60 last night. High of 85 today. Great time of year in central Texas. :cheesygrin:

Exactly what I was thinking...haha.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited March 2013
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »

Yes sir!
  • hochpt21
    edited March 2013
    Options
    That sucks! I'm guessing ya'll must have indoor water parks up there?

Yes, Wisconsin Dells is a resort town and there are a number of indoor waterparks.
    2.5 hours of working out.
    You probably look like lou ferrigno by now...

Not quite yet. Just starting to get my beach body ready.

We're gonna try this again today...WITH shoes!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Did that before. Only I was actually outside & my wife was 2+ hours away in NYC. My neighbors gave me funny looks when I knocked on their door in my PJ's at 2 in the afternoon. At least I had underwear on under my lounge pants. Luckily my MIL has a key, lives nearby, & was able to come over & let me in.