Monitor 40s & 30s suggested crossover?

Options
azsam
azsam Posts: 45
I have 5 speakers from the Monitor Series II. I was wondering what is the recommended crossover point for those. I have a decent sub which costs more than my speakers all together :). I know it has a pretty flat response even to the -19 Hz. Right now I am using the following crossovers:

Monitor 40s - 100 Hz
MOnitor CS1 - 100 Hz
Monitor 30s - 120 Hz

What do you guys think?
Post edited by azsam on

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Did your auto cal program set these speaker settings?

If so, I would re-run it. I think the 30's can goa little lower, with no problem, let alone the others. The idea is to let the sub handle as much of the lower freqs as possible. That's it's job. Let the other handle the higher freqs.
  • azsam
    azsam Posts: 45
    edited March 2013
    Options
    No, I set those myself... But since then, I have switched back to setting crossover for all speakers at 80Hz as I read that this should provide the best bass management without being audible/obvious when the subwoffer kicks in.
  • Mon40CSMM10
    Mon40CSMM10 Posts: 161
    Options
    I recently connected Monitor 40s to someone else's receiver so they could enjoy movies, music, and sports events better than just TV speakers. The receiver is a Technics receiver. The room is so live with the wood floor that they wanted the bass and treble turned down for their own listening, because the Monitor 40s were reproducing down to 40 Hz bass even at a reasonable volume. This would be the equivalent of running them as large on a home theater receiver, since the stereo receiver didn't have small/large settings.

If the subwoofer is going to reproduce the lowest frequencies, I'd recommend small with a 50 Hz crossover. A case could even be made to run them as large to use them both for stereo audio and home theater.