ipod direct to amp

whgarrett1394
whgarrett1394 Posts: 217
Hello,

I just bought a pair of pioneer 6X8 for my ford focus. I am going to buy an amp soon to power them.

I want to go without a HU and just use my ipod. I will be getting either the Clarion APX2181 or Alpine MRP-F300.

If I get the Alpine I will run it bridged. Eventually I will buy another amp for this old MB Quart 12" I have in the
closet.

My question.....is anyone is familiar with these amps and will they be able to produce decent sound with the signal
from the Ipod or should I go ahead and purchase a crossover now. A x-over like the Audiocontrol 2XS would boost
the signal somewhat and I could use it down the line for the MB Quart.

Any advice is appreciated
KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
Post edited by whgarrett1394 on

Comments

• whgarrett1394
    edited February 2013
    So today I installed the Pioneer 6x8 speakers in my Ford Focus. It was easier than I thought. I have decided to only use the front speakers so I can save money.

As of yet I am powering them off of the stock deck. Wow!!! I actually have high frequency reproduction now. Can't wait to give these a proper wattage.

I decided I would buy the Alpine mrp-f300 to power the Pioneers. If I run it bridged it will produce the same as the Clarion amp and more people have input on Alpine amplifiers.

I decided that I will purchase the Audiocontrol 2xs later and see how the Alpine works out with just the Ipod's voltage output.

Just need a fuse holder and I'm in business. I already have the speaker and power cable.

Do you think 12awg is too big for speaker wire? Too small?
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    I changed my mind. I am going to go with the Clarion amp. It's a little cheaper and it is a 2 channel.

I was talking to the guy at the local car stereo shop and he said to go with a dedicated 2 channel because bridging a 4 channel will introduce some distortion.

I can't wait to get paid so I can purchase the amp.
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    Thank you for the reply Lasareath. I do not want to use an HU just yet do to break ins in my neighborhood.

I also think most after market HU look awful. I like the Nakamichi HU but they are way too expensive. Parrot makes a cool looking one but i'm not sure about quality.
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    I was wondering if someone can enlighten me.

I have this MB Quart PWD304 that i will eventually hook up.

It is DVC 4ohm subwoofer.

How should I wire it to get optimal SQ. I haven't bought an amp yet.

I was thinking i would buy a decent 2 channel amp and run each voice coil off each channel
    Maybe something like the Rockford Fosgate T600-2

Or would it be better to wire the dvc in series creating an 8ohm load and get a beefy mono amp?
    Something like the RF T2500-1bD
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    I bought the amp for my front door speakers today.

I ended up going with an old Clarion APX401.2. It's rated 100X2@4ohm

I can't wait for it to come so I can install it. I guess all I need now is an in line fuse for 1/0 awg wire.
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    Talked to the installer at the stereo shop today. He told me to go with a 2 channel amp for the sub and wire each voice coil to a
    separate channel.

That means the Rockford Fosgate T600-2 is my choice. It will be a while till those funds come in.

When I install the Clarion amp for my fronts I will have to take pictures so that everyone doesn't think I'm FOS.
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    That's a pretty good idea.

How do you like that Alpine HU?

I've wanted the IDA-305 for a while now.

No need for a cd player anymore.
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    Patiently waiting for....

Tsunami FBW911ANL in line fuse holder
    Rockford Fosgate RFFDAGU fused distribution block
    DBLink AGU60amp fuse 5 pack
    DBLink AGU100amp fuse 5 pack
    Kicker hyperflex 5ft 8awg
    Kicker hyperflex 5ft 4awg
    and
    Clarion APX401.2 amplifier to get in the mail

I've been looking at my ride and trying to figure out where to pass the 1/0awg wire through the firewall.
    Never done this before.:eek:
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    I have received everything ordered except the clarion amp and the 100amp fuses. Both are scheduled to arrive
    tomorrow.

I have found where to route the 1/0wag wire. It won't be easy but I will not have to cut a hole through the firewall.

Can you run speaker wire and power cable together?

I know you are supposed to separate signal rca and power.

Can't wait!
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    Finally started on the install. It was a beautiful sunny day in western WA. I ran the remote wire and power wire.
    Tomorrow I will be able to hook the amp and speakers up. Then I will be able to listen to my ipod. :cheesygrin:
    Fingers crossed.
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    I finished installing the amp for my two front speakers. The ipod is hooked up directly to the amp. It sounds great.
    I was kind of disappointed at the level of output from the ipod. The signal is less than expected.

One problem though. I'm getting shocked. Yup. If I touch the ipod while in the car i zap the ipod. That's scary
    because I don't want to ruin the hard drive.

It doesn't happen if I stand outside and manipulate the ipod.

Do you think it's because the ipod is not grounded?

Maybe the ground for the amp is insufficient. I grounded to the trunk, and not directly to the chasis.

I hope that is all it is.

Also, if I touch the 1/8" plug I get shocked as well.

It sounds awesome though.
  • whgarrett1394
    edited March 2013
    I ended up switching out the ipod cable and there is no longer any shocking going on.

I still think I need a better ground, but for now it is working perfectly.

I have a 12" MB Quart sub(pwd304) and i want to someday hook it up as well.

A friend of mine made a box for me yesterday, but It is way too big.

It is a beautiful sealed enclosure, so I am not going to tell him.

Can I just fill up the inside with material until I get the desired volume? The box is 2.96ft^3

The manual says the enclosure should be no larger than 1.45ft^3 Can I use that expanding yellow foam stuff or should I use 2x4?
  • whgarrett1394
    edited May 2013
    I have really been enjoying my stereo. It is great to be able to listen finally to my ipod.

An unexpected outcome to my configuration is that I can still listen to the factory deck throught the rear speakers.

Didn't plan it that way but since i never disconnected anything but the fronts it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, I purchased the crossover today on Ebay. It is an Audiocontrol 2xs.

I will be able to send highs to front spkrs and lows to the subwoofer(once I can afford an amp for it)

Should I stick with the crossover setting of 90hz @ 18db per octave?

It is a fixed setting. I can order another module, but that is what comes with it.

The fronts are Pioneer 6x8. They have a good amount of low end, but I'm not sure if I should crossover that low.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • whgarrett1394
    edited May 2013
    I got the crossover. It works great. Gave my ipod enough signal boost to allow me to gain down the amp to half.

Amp is now running nice and cool even after 30min of continuous loud music. I can't wait to get the amp for my sub.

I'm goin to buy a rockford fosgate t600-2 My system will then be complete.......:cheesygrin:
  • whgarrett1394
    edited June 2013
    Well I decided not to go with the rockford and instead stuck with clarion for my sub's amplifier.

It has a little less power, but I think it will work just fine.

My sub is a DVC and I am running each coil to a designated channel.

To make it look a little cleaner, I used a Neutrik NL4 connector instead of binding posts.

I will get it hopefully by next weekend. Can't wait to be able to hear the bass with my fronts.

Lately if I wanted to hear the sub I had to disconnect the fronts and use the amp to push the sub alone. :redface:
  • bondslex
    bondslex Posts: 108
    edited June 2013
    It will sound great
    LSI 15
    LSI C
    LSI FX
    80 fx ls for atmos
    Velodyne SPL-10
    Marantz 7012
    Panasonic 9000
    JVC 420
  • stanletmontena
    stanletmontena Posts: 10
    edited July 2013
    Its simple! If you use your ipod on a big speaker, naturally its not going to give you the same effect as its compatible system player would have. But its still should be 'decent'.. Not a huge difference