Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Reference Crossover Modification Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Nothing special, IMO. I'd at least stick with Cardas copper or Vampire copper posts for a "reference" build.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Stock bass network... Vr3 style! :)

Values turned upside down on purpose

These will be mounted along side their respective modified network for on the spot A/B purposes.

The shelves we are using are black Delrin! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Are these done yet???? Could we get a status update :)
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Options
    This project is pretty massive, we are still 2-3 months out before seeing any real "product" per say.

For instance, at this point we have submitted out enclosure design for the crossover and custom outriggers to the fab shop and we have a 6-7 week back order on some of the parts...

We are expecting each crossover, minimum, to weigh approximately 40 pounds (per side) - this is a LARGE crossover project.

I will definitely keep you guys posted on this! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Hey, Ern Dog. As the owner of said speakers/crossover upgrade and with being involved in the various aspects of the project, I can confirm that this is not your ordinary crossover project. We have actually built a mock-up of one of the crossover enclosures just to see what it would kind of look like when all was said and done. It was much larger than we thought, about the size of a sub woofer and there will be two of them. The design came out better than we had envisioned and with all of the things we have planned for this crossover upgrade, as Trey mentioned, it will simply take time. Many parts are still on back order and we can not finish up certain things or move on with certain aspects until we get the actual parts in to see if they will all fit correctly within the design. We hope to not have to modify anything we have already drawn up plans for but we have to plan for and anticipate just in case. Most everything is being custom made and finished.

The worst part about this whole project is not the cost, it's not the waiting, it's not the frustration of back ordered parts. It's going from such a wonderful stock speaker to a pair of temporary Minimus 77's, even if they are upgraded. SO, SO much of the music is missing and you can forget about any kind of goosebumps or emotional connection to the music itself. Entire frequency ranges are gone and even when hooked up to the Tyler subs, the sound is [to me] horrid. It's akin to eating all of your meals in 5 star restaurants for years on end and then, all of a sudden, being forced to put up with McDonald's food. YUCK!!!

Oh, I'll survive. I have always been a believer in "good things come to those who wait" and in this case, I'm 99.9% positive that the end result will not only be good.......it'll be outstanding. Lookin' forward to hearing the end result! Kudos to Trey [VR3 mods] for keeping in constant communication and making this all possible.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Sell me the Dodd while you are waiting-- my upgraded 7U's never cease to amaze me(Clarity and Mills)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • treitz3
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Damn, all of a sudden I can't read.......*stumbles into wall*
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • george daniel
    edited May 2013
    Options
    :lol:Return the Dodd
  • treitz3
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Did somebody say something?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited May 2013
    Options
    :lol:Return the Dodd

You really miss that thing don't you?

You can have mine.... if you can pry it from my cold dead hands.:mrgreen:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • george daniel
    edited May 2013
    Options
    :cool:a little,,
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the update. I'm excited to hear about how it all turns out. Crossover enclosures the size of subs..... this sounds insane!

I think you owe it to yourself to buy some nice speakers to listen to while you wait out the remaining couple months. Then sell 'em when your baby comes home. I'm kinda going through the same thing right now. My tube amp blew out some caps and a rectifier and so it is being repaired at the manufact. in Canada. In the mean time I'm using a Harmon Kardon avr :cry: Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, but not even close to what I'm used to hearing.
  • VR3
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Ah... trucking along!
  • treitz3
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Holy......

The speaker cabinets were just dropped off a couple of hours ago at a woodworking shop to be professionally reconditioned. WHOOO-HOOO!!!!! :cool:

Tom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Hmmm....didn't want to bring them up here, eh?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I think you were a tad too far Jesse... we were heavily thinking about the trip though!!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Md would probably be a little far to *toss* them. :twisted:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    edited July 2013
    Options
    LOL!! That is such a classic picture and story! hahahahahah, poor Tom!
  • VR3
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Just an update to this massive project. The enclosures are still being worked on and the design tweaked.

We have changed the design a little bit to make it where the crossover will be a stand alone unit outside of the enclosure so the enclosure itself is just a shell...

I hope* to have real progress in the next month or so...
  • treitz3
    edited October 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hmmm....didn't want to bring them up here, eh?

Hello, Jesse. This decision had more to do with logistics and cost than anything else. I know full well that you would have done an incredible job....I have seen your work on past projects and there is NO doubt that you wouldn't have done top notch work. It boiled down to taking the speakers up to you and leaving them, investing the time involved to do so only to return when they were done. As you know, my truck isn't exactly cost conscience when it comes to the amount of gas and this project has made my wallet.....let's just say that this project isn't exactly cheap.....quite a bit lighter than anticipated. You know full well that I wanted you to do the work, without a doubt but I only have so much dough to spend on this project.

Well, not only that but the gentleman who did the speakers graciously offered up his and his wife's horse farm to Kim and I for our wedding. I did feel somewhat obligated to offer him some work with regards to this project....kind of a "payback", if you will. Well that and he only lives about 12 miles away from me. MUCH easier on the gas bill and wear and tear on the truck, which BTW is about to hit the 200K mark.

I would like to offer you a genuine "thank you" and mention to the Polk forum that Jesse [F1nut] has already provided his valuable time throughout the beginning of this project and even well before it started. I will give credit where credit is due and Jesse has gone well above the call of duty in getting this project on it's way with regards to the speaker cabinets. He is a true professional in the field, a good friend and I appreciate every given moment [as well as the casual conversations] offered by this great person. My hat is still off to you sir and thank you. Very, very much.

Well, the project marches on and today I went to go pick up the speaker cabinets. The crossover housing is still being worked on as we speak, most all of the back ordered parts are in and the next phase of the project will begin as soon as I get the speaker shells back up to VR3 sometime this week. We will be working on the inside of the speakers next and performing the cabinet mods, rebracing, sealing and basically getting them ready for the reintroduction of sound once again.

Good things come to those who wait....and I'll admit it. I'm getting pretty pumped up about this whole project. So far, so good. More later and I'll try to get a pic up soon.
    Face wrote: »
    Md would probably be a little far to *toss* them. :twisted:

Yeah, yeah, yeah........veddy funny.

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Speaker4.jpg

Speaker3.jpg

Speaker2.jpgSpeaker1.jpg

As you can see, the glue residue from the Velcro that used to hold the speaker grills on are no longer there. This was able to be accomplished without any damage to the Ribbon Mahogany veneer. When I had originally talked to Ty, he had mentioned that once the glue goes on for the Velcro, they are permanent. This was my major gripe with the speakers as I rarely ever listen with the grills on. It just messes with the imaging too much.

If you notice, the MTM area of the speaker enclosure is enclosed....but does not go all of the way back to the rear of the speaker cabinet. The internal volume of the bass drivers goes all of the way back and up to the top of the enclosure. None of this was sealed. Built to close tolerances but not sealed, allowing air from one area to transfer to the other. This issue will be corrected and we will also be making sure that the seals at the drivers are air tight as well and hurricane nuts will be installed to prevent this seal from being compromised.

These pictures don't really do the cabinets justice IMO when comparing it to the naked eye. When you look at them in person, the red and tiger eye effect really stand out on the Ribbon Mahogany. You can kind of see this when looking at the first pic of the tops of the speakers. One speaker looks to be lighter and the other looks to be darker whilst they are both the same as you can clearly see in the second picture. Much of it has to do with the lighting but they look great.

Now on to the next phase...

Tom
  • dbaldus
    dbaldus Posts: 730
    edited January 2014
    Options
    How's this coming along, guys? I know I'm not the only one anxiously awaiting the results so I can justify having Trey upgrade mine next :)

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • VR3
    edited February 2014
    Options
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Looks terrible scrap the project already.

Better idea for you.

I'll be in the Carolina's right when you finish them, what a coincidence, and I'll take them to the dump for you for free!!
    I know what a guy I am.
  • VR3
    Options
    I realized I posted these in the wrong thread. Tom has these in his possession now. Only took 3 years.was19fbtl0wd.jpg
    d4q7ts3y7zds.jpg
    xh5pk0oysqfi.jpg
    z1e8k8aa9wil.jpg
    bgp29fztf8be.jpg
    190iej0qdsoo.jpg
    p29jizn4ydd7.jpg
  • VR3
    Options
    Here they are next to the speakersoww8qc0c2vh9.jpg
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    :o That's a sub enclosure! Wow!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    :o That's a sub enclosure! Wow!
  • treitz3
    Options
    I have a new setup now. The photo of the crossover box was taken just to show the scale of the size of these massive beasts. I currently have the crossover boxes where the subs are, the mains are in the same spot and the two subs reside back and to the outside of each speaker, even though they are currently not even turned on.

With the crossover upgrade, the subs are truthfully no longer "needed". Will determine whether they stay or go in about 3 months when the crossovers are completely burnt in.

The current system is as follows;

PS - Richard Grey 400Pro power supply to -

CDP - Jolida JD100 CDP with 2ea. Ei 12AX7 Gold Pins, tube dampers, Rick's Sorbothane risers and Transparent Reference IC's to -

TT - Music Hall MMF-5 w/ Goldring 1012Gx cart, Joe's "The Clamp", isolation footing, the 25th AE Nitty Gritty DS RCM in Jatoba with the "Shark" steam cleaner to Jolida JD9 MkII tubed phono pre w/ Transparent Reference IC's to -

PRE - Dodd Audio MLP tubed pre-amplifier with 4ea. Ei 12AX7 Gold Pins, isolation footings w/ Transparent Reference IC's to -

AMP - Musical Fidelity AC3r Dual Mono SS amplifier w/ AudioQuest CV-8's w/ a 72v BP upgrade to -

SPEAKERS - Tyler Acoustics Lynbrook Sig. Series in Ribbon Mahogany, spiked and on 1-1/4" hardwood plinths with a stereo set of Tyler Acoustics custom subs, spiked and on Target stands w/ custom crossovers built by VR3, spiked.

The initial impressions are very nice. It's akin to getting a completely new system with a much, much more powerful amplifier. Effortless reproductive abilities now. Very impactful, accurate and musical with plenty of air and finesse. The sound pressure in the room has increased dramatically at all volume levels.

I will post more as time goes by and the crossovers make their changes.

Tom