do you ever

Options
ntculenuff
ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
do you ever wish that you could go back? back to a time when you were just satisfied with "STOCK", you know like just watching your movies through the t.v. or listening to your "STOCK" car stereo... don't get me wrong I love my toys and all the new toys but every once in a while I wish that my ears were never spoiled to the good sounds. I know I would have more $$'s, but then there would be another hobby and i like this one:D
Speakers:
Definitive BP7001sc mains
Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
Polk RT800i's rears
Definitive supercube I Sub
Audio:
Onkyo TX-NR3010
Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
Video:
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
Directv x's 2
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I don't, but my wife does. :D:D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    my wife DAMN sure does....

My point is this, though, my only hobbies are golf and audio. I don't have a boat, motorcycle, I'm not in to guns, hunting, off roading etc. etc.

My golf habit is relatively inexpensive as I play the course on base so it is cheap and so far my audio habit, ****, I have less than a thousand dollars invested in it so far. So, personally, I think she is getting off cheap. Convincing her of that is a different story

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    Options
    no, i think i'd rather enjoy dumping my $$$ into this hobby rather than any other...
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2001
    Options
    The audio hobby is not bad at all, if you look at the entertainment factor vs. dollars spent.... Unless you go really crazy.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Nope....Never....No Way....Not in a million years....Not in this lifetime.

The Green Room is my sanctuary from reality.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Funny, I was sorta thinking along these lines the other day as I listened to the stock stereo in my 4runner. Not a horrible rig for factory equipment (six speakers in all) but not exactly high-end either. Considering that I don't do an awful lot of driving anymore, I'm actually OK with this in that vehicle. It's all a matter of setting priorities. I'd rather spend more $$$ to make the home system "great" and leaving the car stereo at "good" than split the dough and having merely "very good" both at home and in the car. After the HT/HS setup I do have a couple other interests that I'd tend to, such as fishing ... oh yeah, there's also the matter of saving for college for the kids ...

I wouldn't say I wish my ears weren't spoiled to excellent sound, though, just that all things considered, I can tolerate something less in certain relatively limited circumstances.
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I have a the factory OEM am/fm cassette in my Dodge truck. I could really care less about upgrading it. A cd player would be nice but not to where I would want to spend money on it. Actually it sounds not too bad as compared to the Bose factory system in my wife's Infiniti. That thing sucks bad.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • joelll
    joelll Posts: 120
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I own a '94 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon. It's a good example of why people hate stock sound systems... i wouldn't have been satisfied with it three weeks after buying it new (which I didn't, i bought it used this year).

As a car? Not too bad. I like what happens when the turbo kicks in... but...

The stock stereo in this car sucks big, moss-covered granite boulders.

The head unit was made by alpine, but with a custom EQ curve that really punches up the midbass, to make the system sound more impressive. Adjusting the tone controls can't balance it again. On the plus side, I can hook in an Alpine CD player without too much hassle, though right now I still use a portable CD player with a cassette adapter.

It's an eight-speaker system setup:

Two 2" paper-cone tweeters in the dash, non-functional, because the magnets had fallen off the back and were clinging to the nearest metal. They are glued into custom, non-standard shaped brackets, but the tweeters themselves may be of some standard size.

Two 5.25" midrange drivers in the front doors. The tabs on the edge are in nonstandard places, and I replaced them with a pair of now going bad $50 JBL 2-ways. Barely functional now, wish i had more money to put into the system. These speakers have started buzzing, not surprising for the cost.

Two 5.25" two-ways in the lower part of the rear doors. Though nominally 5.25", the edge of the speaker is not circular, it's got a straight edge on the top and bottom, as if a part were cut away with scissors. Nothing else will fit there without cutting, and the drivers are permanently fastened to the plastic mounting thingies. These speakers buzz like crazy.

Two 2" tweeters in the D-pillars, on either side of the station-wagon's back door, mounted in more custom-shaped brackets. One of them is missing, the other one's magnet jumped off and was holding on to nearest metal instead.

Thank you Volvo, I don't know how your designers ever managed to call this the "Premium" sound system without dying from laughter. Ultra-cheapie drivers, custom-shaped brackets, custom-shaped-cut-and-tabbed metal. The glue that holds the magnets on doesn't last, but the glue that holds the drivers to the brackets acts like it'll hold forever. Grrrrrr. At least I can replace the head unit, and the later Volvo head units got rid of the non-defeatable "mega bass" EQ curve and had some kewl nifty "secret" adjust modes. And I have extras of some of the dash and door speakers, courtesy of a friends totalled 850, for mad-scientist experimentation.....
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited December 2001
    Options
    the stereo in my olds aurora kicks ****! cassette and cd combo
    sounds like a after market system,but from olds.does me just fine.

scott:cool:
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I only wish I could go "back to stock" when I'm with other people in their car, or living room, or whatever. I wish I could be driving down the street in the backseat of my buddy's car thinking "Yeah, I like this song" and not "Man, this song would sound 10000x better in MY car". Or, "Hey, come over and watch a movie" which usually always means, vhs tape with no sound system on a crappy tv.

*zoink* "Ok, be right over!" [watch movie]
    *zoink* "Ok, back to reality" [57" heaven....]

~JB