Kimber USB Cable,CA DacMagic Plus Review

Options
bobsauto49
bobsauto49 Posts: 973
edited January 2013 in Going Digital
Well,after several hrs relistening to my music library on the DacMagic Plus with the new Kimber USB,I am thoroughly convinced of one thing! I would have a very hard time telling the difference between a cd,and the DacMagic Plus with the Kimber in place! Some recordings sound less than perfect when I buy computer music! On almost all my cd's,songs sound perfect on the Rega!(thanks Dawgfish) On the well recorded music I buy through the computer,this cable has taken the music up a notch! The difference the Kimber made is the last small step to cd quality! I've noticed less harshness,and more resolution in the music.The music is all around you,like a cd! Not right in front of you! Theres a wonderful soundstage! It sounds fabulous!
I use the balanced outputs on the DacMagic with Analysis Plus Copper Ovals,and now the Kimber Cable USB. Anybody looking for an awesome DAC,in the $700 price range,would be a fool not to try this combo out!
Big thanx to thsmith for the awesome karma!
"Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
Post edited by bobsauto49 on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited January 2013
    Options
    So are you using the Rega as a Player or as a Transport?
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • bobsauto49
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Player, The Rega does not have balanced outputs!
  • falconcry72
    edited January 2013
    Options
    bobsauto49 wrote: »
    Player, The Rega does not have balanced outputs!

huh?

Anyhow, if you're using the Rega as a full-on Player, and you prefer it to the PC > DacMagic, it's probably because you like the DAC in the Rega better than the DAC in the DacMagic, not because you like the Rega as a source better than the PC as a source.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • bobsauto49
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I run the Rega as a player/unbalanced ic's to my pre. I run my Dac/balanced ic's to my pre.
    I competely understand the point you are making,however,as stated in my op,I think with good quality recordings,the difference is negligible!
  • falconcry72
    edited January 2013
    Options
    ...I think with good quality recordings,the difference is negligible!

Wanna find out for sure? Run the digital output of your Rega to the DacMagic, and then run the analog output of your Rega to the preamp, then also run the DacMagic to the preamp. Play a CD. Switch back and forth between inputs on your pre. This will let you know which DAC you like better.

Edit: when doing this, I suggest using the unbalanced outputs on both the DacMagic and the Rega to keep the volumes more similar. A lot of times balanced outputs are louder, and then they will sound better in an A/B comparison unjustly.

Have fun!

• bobsauto49
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thanx for the tip!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I think what the OP is saying is the Kimber cable has brought up the quality of his computer audio a notch or 2. He's just saying in comparison to the Rega is all.

Congrats man, always a good thing when SQ moves up a notch.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited January 2013
    Options
    It is a nice cable Bob and glad you like it. SOme people have posted they like it even better without the ferrite beads, never tried because you would have to desroy them.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Bob, I had a feeling you'd love that Rega.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Darn nice system you pieced together there Bob. If I may suggest, when or if the time comes, move up to a Rogue pre, or Bat, Vac, Cary....you may have a hard time wiping that grin off your face.:biggrin: Happy listening man.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bobsauto49
    edited January 2013
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Bob, I had a feeling you'd love that Rega.

Well Steve,You were spot on! I'm listening to my cd collection all ovetr again,and it sure is a pleasure! And as much as I love that Rega,I cant emphasis how well the CA DM Plus sounds with the balanced ic's,and the Kimber Cable USB! I have no problem showing my system off to my buddies through the Dac!
    I remember Dan(Mantis) hearing the DacMagic Plus for the 1st time,and it sounded like he chit himself! Thats kinda how I feel about it! Dont get me wrong,if I want the best possible music,its comin from the Rega,no doubt! But the DM is nippin at its heels!

Of course i'm in heaven every night,with a new tube pre,speakers,all new cables,and a really hot,forgiving,Redheaded,Pregnant Wife who's in the horny all time stage of pregnancy! Life's a liitle too good right now! I'm waitin for the sky to fall!:rolleyes: :cool:
  • bobsauto49
    edited January 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Darn nice system you pieced together there Bob. If I may suggest, when or if the time comes, move up to a Rogue pre, or Bat, Vac, Cary....you may have a hard time wiping that grin off your face.:biggrin: Happy listening man.
    Sound World in Appleton has a Cary SS amp as a demo that i'm having a hard time lookin away from! That will probly be my next step! Right now i'm waitin on quad of NOS tubes for my pre! F1 has lead me to the promise land of tube heaven! New tubes should be here shortly! Cant wait! There is 4 junk electro-harmonix tubes in there now!:frown:
  • tonyb
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Cool man, Appleton has a Hi-fi shop ? Darn, things must have changed out there since my days of stopping off on my way to Shotgun Eddies for a rafting booze infested trip down the Wolf river.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Sound World in Appleton has a Cary SS amp as a demo that i'm having a hard time lookin away from! That will probly be my next step! Right now i'm waitin on quad of NOS tubes for my pre! F1 has lead me to the promise land of tube heaven! New tubes should be here shortly! Cant wait! There is 4 junk electro-harmonix tubes in there now!:frown:

Nice system you put together there. Got to get up to sound world in Appleton and check it out. Is it better than HIFI heaven?
  • bobsauto49
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I like it alot better! They have alot of product in the store to listen to! Dali,ML,KEF,PSB,Monitor Audio,NAD,Analysis Plus,Cary,some Rega,and more! Paul is the Manager there,and he sat with me upstairs for 5 hrs,listening to gear!! Never acted impatient,very good to work with! And gave me a nice discount on the whole package I bought!