CD Player

Options
DollarDave
DollarDave Posts: 2,575
edited January 2013 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I need a CD Player for my workshop. My AMC CD8b won't read disks anymore. If someone has a replacement CD mechanism for that, that would be great.

Initially, I'd be interested in an AMC, CAL, Rotel, NAD, Proton, or Marantz. Other suggestions are certainly welcome, but that will give you an idea of the "sound" that I prefer. Since it's a workshop, I'd like to keep the investment under $200.

Associated equipment out there is - NAD 1600 preamp (or a B&K PT3), NAD 2400 amp, and ADS L-620 speakers.
Post edited by DollarDave on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I have a couple different Naks on my list Dave. A single-disc OMS-1A and a multi-disc MB-10. I also have a single disc Denon DCD-910 I think.
  • DollarDave
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I have a couple different Naks on my list Dave. A single-disc OMS-1A and a multi-disc MB-10. I also have a single disc Denon DCD-910 I think.

I am interested in all three - shoot me a PM when you get a chance with pricing and shipping to 77494.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I would not sell mine, but I use a Yammy 5650 DVD player in my shop.
    I put a Marinco male power plug on it, and would not sell it no more than I could get for it.

Might do a search, killer bang/for buck.

16/44.1 or 24/96 switchable, it is pretty sweet with a good digital cable JFYI.
    Bought it used 5 years ago or more, and still smooth opening/closing, and just as smooth playback.:cheesygrin:

I think I paid $50 back then and have NEVER considered an upgrade in the shop.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Dave, if you're all set... cool.
    If not, shoot me a PM; I can send you something (luck of the draw!) from the 'collection' for the cost of postage :-)
  • michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited December 2012
    Options
    So what are you guys doing out there in your shops...sounds like monkey business. I/ve got an old Kenwood 6 pack player in my shop and have just up-graded to a sony single blue ray...cause I added a flat screen and my Onk txsr805 and some Monitor 70...along with a frig full of brown bottles. :mrgreen:
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Dave, I have an AMC CD6b-5404as with a tube output. I have not used it in a while so I will have to test it out, but it worked fine the last time I used it. It is a nice sounding CD player. Much better than the CD8b is (but also more expensive). Let me know if you are interested.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Dave - it's good to go (finally)! Clear out your in-box and I'll PM ye! :-)

DSC_6287_zpsf9212e8c.jpg

As a public service announcement :-)

These old Yamaha CD players (both the single disc and the carousels) have a little square cross-section belt that drives the disc drawer. After a couple of decades :-) the belt stretches and hardens, and the drawer becomes either lackadaisical in opening/closing or just plain won't open or close. The belt is easy to replace, and replacements are commercially available (see the AK thread below for info). On the other hand, I have this large bag full of little latex rubber bands that make a perfect stopgap repair.

Here's the original belt in situ (this is the player that's going to Dave; its original belt is still working well):

DSC_6283_zpsdf28d466.jpg
    (you can see the pulley at the bottom of the photo slightly R of center; the other pulley is not visible, under the disc tray).

Here's another view with the replacement rubber band next to it for scale :-)

DSC_6284_zps0d973208.jpg

Information on both the "wrong" and the right way to replace these belts at: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=479691&highlight=yamaha
  • DollarDave
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Mark, it's cleared now.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    Options
    whoa, that was fast!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2013
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    SD-39501_zps0f3f7b8b.jpg

Dude.....are those lava lamps in the back ground ? A tad old school huh ?:biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable