dbpoweramp stops ripping

drgalexo
drgalexo Posts: 159
edited December 2012 in Going Digital
I have ripped over 100 cds so far and everything so far is pretty smooth, one cd took over an hour to rip, but most of them rip really quickly. However, one cd gets to the last two or three tracks and either stops or keeps goning forever with no further progress. I tried to rip in test conversion at the advise of a thread on the dbpoweramp forum and it didn't make any difference. Any suggestions?
Post edited by drgalexo on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2012
    Maybe the cd is too scratched up or maybe your transport in the computer is getting too hot by the workout your giving it. Try cleaning the cd, and maybe give the 'puter a break for awhile and try again.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2012
    The only time I've had an issue like that is when a disc is scratched making it difficult or unable to read.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2012
    I have the same thing happen every now and then with JRiver too. Since the ripping process is designed to make a bit perfect copy of what's on the CD, if the drive fails to read all the information on the disc the software will try several times to re-read until it gets an error checked perfect copy. I've had some discs that aren't obviously scratched, but they won't rip perfectly and always freeze at the same track and JRiver sends out an error report. If I play them in the same drive, there is obvious distortion where the tracks fails to rip. There is no distortion evident when playing the CD in a stand alone CD player though.

I would suggest trying to rip the cd on another drive in another computer if you can. Sometimes it works, but most times it won't because it's the disc that's faulty.

Programs like db and JRiver are good because they tell you when and where the ripping didn't work perfectly. iTunes doesn't do this type of error detection, which is one of the reasons I stopped using it.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited December 2012
    This has also happened to me. I have an external drive, so if one drive does not rip the other one does...go figure!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • drgalexo
    edited December 2012
    Yea, I will have to try a different drive, so far it only about 3 cds out of 200. Once the files are in the FLAC format, they won't play with windows media player, do I need another program like Jriver or should I convert to another format?
  • fjross
    fjross Posts: 183
    edited December 2012
    I noticed after ripping 10 to 15 cd's that it was taking 3 to 4 times longer to rip toward the end. I would log out and back in and be back in business with the normal 2 minute ripping time.
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's
  • drgalexo
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for all the help, I have ripped my entire cd collection and only a handful of cds just wouldn't seem to rip, so no big problem. Now I have to find a player to get them off the pc because I think dbpoweramp only rips the cds, any ideas. I think Jrivers may do the job but I'm not sure if I need that or can just use Windows Media etc. I still want to preserve the bit for bit accuracy and plug the USB directly into the preamp.
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited December 2012
    For bit-perfect, I would recommend JRiver with WASAPI output, or Foobar2000 w/WASAPI output plugin. Foobar2K is free, but will require tweaking to add the WASAPI plugin and to get it to look and work the way you want. JRiver has a fee ($50?), but is basically a "turnkey" solution, and works very well straight "out of the box".

WASAPI output works great for Windows Vista, 7 and 8. If you have an older version, you need to use ASIO output.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2012
    MediaMonkey is another options as well. There is a free version (also a paid one) that allows you to use WASAPI as well. Thats what I believe H9 and some others use.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • drgalexo
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Tbone and Enders, I see I have alittle more reading to do but sounds like there are some good programs out there. I'm just really happy to know that you can keep bit for bit perfect recordings. I never thought I would be using a digital source for music but what a great addition to my vinyl collection.