[Help]-Newbie of Newbie- Cables for PSW10+Monitor30 to PC

SugarFree
SugarFree Posts: 2
edited December 2012 in Going Digital
Just like the tittle, I have purchased a pair of Monitor30 and PSW10 but there are no cable included in-the-box:rolleyes:; and I want to hook them up with my PC. My PC sound card has only 3.5mm output.
Please HELP:cry::cry:! What cable should I buy? :lol:
Should I buy a better dedicated sound card? (My onboard sound card is from realtek, 7.1)
Thank you guys!:loneranger::loneranger:
Post edited by SugarFree on

Comments

• transmaster
    transmaster Posts: 428
    edited December 2012
    If I understand what you have the Monitor 30's are not powered speakers and your sound card will not drive them, nor will the PSW-10 Subwoofer work you are going to have to get some sort of stand alone audio amp to plug the sound card into, then you run the output from the amp to the input terminals on the subwoofer. At the subwoofer you hook up your Monitor 30s to the speaker terminals and you are done. You have your choice of such amp's here: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/amplifiers/106 They are not expensive and will do the job you want. Parts Express or Blue Jeans Cable can supply you with the necessary interconnect. I have a BJC interconnect with an mono 1/8 in plug for the soundcard and and RCA to plug into my Onkyo receiver works great, custom made $28.00 for a 6 foot cable.
    Radio Station W7ITC
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2012
    Welcome to Club Polk!

A cheap amp above or something from your local Craigslist would power the M-30s fine and you could then run everything you need.

Problem as mentioned. M-30s are passive speakers that need an AMP to work. You cannot hook them up to the PSW10 and expect that to power them, that's not how it works. But you may be able to hook an amp to the PSW10 High Level inputs (if it has those) then run speaker wire from the PSW10 High Level OUts (assuming they are there) to the M-30s. But you still need an AMP!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • transmaster
    transmaster Posts: 428
    edited December 2012
    I was looking at those audio amps at Parts-Express, excellent ratings and cheap. I have a use for a couple of them. I have several old military general coverage receivers their audio out put is horrible even for such a receiver. Put if you tap into the pre-audio PA connections and run this through matching transformer into a good audio amp these old buzzards can sound like an old vacuum tube console radio. I have done this on the R390A/URR on a temporary basis just to see how is would work and I was rather surprised.
    Radio Station W7ITC