Correct EAC Setup for flac rips?

Amherst
Amherst Posts: 695
edited November 2012 in Going Digital
I have been trying Exact Audio Copy to make rips from CD's onto an external drive in flac format.
So far have been unsuccessful getting the settings correct in the latest version of this software. The program just rips a .wav instead. Have spent quite a bit of time trying to understand why and am bewildered at this point. Have used the online setup guide but the problem there is the latest version has major changes in it not addressed by the guide and where I get lost.
The version I have installed is the latest version 1.0 beta3. Anyone with a working setup and the accompanying settings would be of great help!
Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
Post edited by Amherst on

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited November 2012
    My advice is fall back to the prior version, which is available online. Then the settings will all match the online guides.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited November 2012
    I believe in the tab where you select your compression codec, you browse to the path of where the flac program is loaded, then you press the "MP3" button when ripping....(this button becomes your "flac" button), after the wav rip, a dos box should open, showing the file being processed by flac.

Try here to: http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup3.html and here: http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup4.html
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Amherst
    edited November 2012
    I may have to go backwards as Nspindel has recommended.

Steve the links you have posted are for the guide of the old version. There are enough differences in the two versions especially in the compression section that I can't get it to run. Think they would have a newer guide posted as this newer version is more than a year old. Maybe the author is pushing people toward the JRiver program which is based on EAC thru lack of support. :question:
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
  • fjross
    fjross Posts: 183
    edited November 2012
    I know this might not answer your question, but I recently purchased DB Power Amp and it was very simple to rip my collection. If you go to there web site, there is a free trial and lengthy info for their product. I believe it was $19.00 to purchase.
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited November 2012
    fjross wrote: »
    I know this might not answer your question, but I recently purchased DB Power Amp and it was very simple to rip my collection. If you go to there web site, there is a free trial and lengthy info for their product. I believe it was $19.00 to purchase.
    +1. I used EAC exclusively for years, until I discovered dBpoweramp. Well worth it.
  • Amherst
    edited November 2012
    Spent a little time toying around with dbpoweramp and jriver today as per suggestion here and thank you for the suggestions.
    Jriver is out. I don't need or want the video capability right now with the $50 price tag.
    Dbpoweramp is a maybe. Seems okay just missing accurip to tune the drive in. Not sure how great of an importance that actually is to the bit perfect rip. Price tag appears to be $38 unless there is some discount out there to be had.

I am stubborn and hate defeat so have not given up on EAC....yet :redface:
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited November 2012
    Amherst wrote: »
    Dbpoweramp is a maybe. Seems okay just missing accurip to tune the drive in. Not sure how great of an importance that actually is to the bit perfect rip. Price tag appears to be $38 unless there is some discount out there to be had.

dBpoweramp does have AccurateRip. See here: http://www.accuraterip.com/software.htm

I think that's the price I paid, too. Not sure where the $19 price came from. EAC is also good, but you have to be willing to spend a little time learning some of the technical details, and the configuration can be a little confusing. Still, once you get it where you want it, it does a fine job.
  • Amherst
    edited November 2012
    After removing portions of hair from scalp finally have EAC producing .flac rips now :wink:

Here's a link for the guide I used to solve: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_guide_to_installing_EAC

My problem was a missing .dll file that did not allow the encoder to start when called by EAC.

Thanks for the info mdaudioguy on the dbpoweramp which may still wind up in my setup!
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited November 2012
    nspindel is a genius with this stuff...compared to me anyway...a very helpful forum member...after much hairpulling, my eac is flac-ing away;)