iPhone to stereo hookup

Options
mwk455
mwk455 Posts: 219
edited November 2012 in Going Digital
What is a good way to hook up a iPhone . And make it sound better then using earphone jack?
Post edited by mwk455 on

Comments

• newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited November 2012
    Options
    wadia 171i
    design is where science and art break even.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited November 2012
    Options
    newrival wrote: »
    wadia 171i

^This is about as good as it gets from the iPhone. Otherwise if you want cheap get a LOD to RCA cable to at least remove the internal amplification from the mix.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited November 2012
    Options
    As a very happy and satisfied Wadia 171 owner, I just want to add that it works with the old style iPhone connector, not the new iPhone 5 type. Second, you need to store files on the phone in Apple Lossless, and you need a good DAC to turn the files into audio.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited November 2012
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    As a very happy and satisfied Wadia 171 owner, I just want to add that it works with the old style iPhone connector, not the new iPhone 5 type. Second, you need to store files on the phone in Apple Lossless, and you need a good DAC to turn the files into audio.

you can use a 30-pin/lightning adapter and it works just fine w/iphone5
    design is where science and art break even.
  • mwk455
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Thank you for the help.
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited November 2012
    Options
    There are a number of direct digital docks out now. I would also look at the Pure i20 as a cheaper alternative.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited November 2012
    Options
    nwohlford wrote: »
    There are a number of direct digital docks out now. I would also look at the Pure i20 as a cheaper alternative.

Agreed. This is a great unit for casual listening, mine stays on most of the time for background music. The i20 also bypasses the onboard DAC of the iphone/pod. For best results, use a lossless format like BlueFox suggested above.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited November 2012
    Options
    To the op, I'm sorry to highjack your thread, but it's on the same subject. I have a MHDT Labs Paradisea DAC that has a USB-B input. Right now I'm using it with my Consanance CD-120 as a transport and love it. How would I go about attaching an Iphone 4S to this DAC?
  • mwk455
    edited November 2012
    Options
    No thats ok .The more i learn on this the better. I heard alot about DAC's but dont know much about them.
  • mwk455
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Lasareath that looks nice and is alot better price .
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    To the op, I'm sorry to highjack your thread, but it's on the same subject. I have a MHDT Labs Paradisea DAC that has a USB-B input. Right now I'm using it with my Consanance CD-120 as a transport and love it. How would I go about attaching an Iphone 4S to this DAC?

You cannot hook an iPhone to a DAC via a USB-B input. You can hook up an iPad using the camera connection kit as long as the DAC is not USB powered.
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2012
    Options
    mwk455 wrote: »
    Lasareath that looks nice and is alot better price .

If your wanting to buy that send helicopterpilotdoug a PM. He is a dealer for them and I am sure would be glad to get one to you. IIRC thats who lasareath got his from.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mwk455
    edited November 2012
    Options
    tried to find helicopterpilotdoug and nothing is he under a different name?
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2012
    Options
    mwk455 wrote: »
    tried to find helicopterpilotdoug and nothing is he under a different name?

My mistake: helipilotdoug
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited November 2012
    Options
    @ mwk455 PM sent. We do carry the HRT iStreamer, and Lasareath, as well everyone else who has purchased one has good things to say about this little jewel. If you have any questions, please let me know.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com