Aragon 4004mkii vs Aragon 8008

Options
James Zep
James Zep Posts: 19
edited June 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi,

I guess a lot of discussion has going trough on these two, but I didn?t find two much on the forum. Both are rated similarly and share a lot of specs.
I have to choose.
Which one would you recommend and why?

Thank you.
Post edited by James Zep on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I can't tell you. As you point out the specs are similar. What I do know is that at some point Klipsch bought that company out and you might want to check out what year that was because I do believe the 4004 is an earlier model.

Some people claim the Klipsch buyout was not a good thing. Others say that Klipsch did not mess with the early Aragon models much. That it was much later that they started to interfere in a negative way?

Perhaps someone else can chime in. In any case, Aragons were nice amps!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Which version of the 8008? If you want to answer the Klipsch or Mondial question, you can check out the Indy Audio Labs website: http://www.indyaudiolabs.com/aragon-legacy-products.aspx. My guess is the main difference is that the 8008 added balanced inputs. The Klipsch version of the 8008 also added a different exterior design. As far as whether there were any significant changes inside the amp, I would check with the Indy Audio Labs people.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    edited November 2012
    Options
    they are both very similar. From what i understand the 8008 has more output devices more closely matched, better heatsinks and a much bigger torid. then we can get into suffix'es BB, MkII and ST just as the 4004.
    http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/562/index.html
    google is your friend ther is much out there on this
  • James Zep
    edited November 2012
    Options
    It is the 8008BB.
    Can someone give me anything else?
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited November 2012
    Options
    James Zep wrote: »
    It is the 8008BB.
    Can someone give me anything else?

As pitdogg2 noted, they should be mostly incremental changes between versions. I think to get a real answer beyond guessing you would probably have to contact support at Indy Audio Labs (http://www.indyaudiolabs.com/contact-us.aspx).
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I own the 8008bb. It is a slightly analytical sounding amp. Slightly cold, but not too bad. It has massive amounts of power and can drive almost any speaker quite easily. The 8008bb has what some call "robo-bass". The bass is so tightly well controlled it sounds somewhat mechanical. I would compare it to (most) Krell amps if you've heard one of theirs. The Aragon 8008bb is not quite as analytical or "robo-bass" sounding as a Krell, but too much for my taste, so I bought a Pass Labs Aleph 30.

The main difference between the 4004 and the 8008bb is the fact that the 8008bb has balanced inputs and the amount of power the 8008bb has is much much greater than the 4004. I definately recommend the Mondial version opposed to the Klipsch (IMO).

What other gear would you be using the amp with?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • larry777
    larry777 Posts: 480
    edited November 2012
    Options
    The 8008 BB has two toroidal power transformers sitting one on top of the other putting out 1.1Kva each. Both channels have 2 power supply capacitors rated at 35000 uf. This amp also has 12 Bipolar output devices per channel which results in hugh impulse power ( Like a startrack rating of Warp 9 ). I would definately get the 8008BB if I had the pick.
    Home Theatre.............

Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub

2 Channel.............................

Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects
  • James Zep
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Headrott, you said "the amount of power the 8008bb has is much much greater than the 4004".
    Are you talking of the 4004 or the 4004 mkii? Anyway I thought the three models were similar power regarding. How many ouput transistor has the 4004 mkii? 12 also?
    I also read that they use different type of transistor, with the same specs but a different sounding.
    Don't forget I'm trying to pick between 4004 mkii and the 8008BB.

By the way, both has exactly same depth at the base of the gabinet, I mean not consedering the 8008BB bewel face

Thank you all. I hope you ccan give me more info.
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,005
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Good info on Aragon amps here:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Classic-Aragon-Amps-A-primer?ugid=10000000001149810

I asked the Indy Audio Labs guys about the 8008 MkII (Klipsch) amp which I own and they said it was identical internally to the 8008BB.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • headrott
    edited November 2012
    Options
    larry777 wrote: »
    The 8008 BB has two toroidal power transformers sitting one on top of the other putting out 1.1Kva each. Both channels have 2 power supply capacitors rated at 35000 uf. This amp also has 12 Bipolar output devices per channel which results in hugh impulse power ( Like a startrack rating of Warp 9 ). I would definately get the 8008BB if I had the pick.

This is correct and accurate.
    Headrott, you said "the amount of power the 8008bb has is much much greater than the 4004".
    Are you talking of the 4004 or the 4004 mkii? Anyway I thought the three models were similar power regarding. How many ouput transistor has the 4004 mkii? 12 also?
    I also read that they use different type of transistor, with the same specs but a different sounding.
    Don't forget I'm trying to pick between 4004 mkii and the 8008BB.

By the way, both has exactly same depth at the base of the gabinet, I mean not consedering the 8008BB bewel face

Thank you all. I hope you ccan give me more info.

The 4004 AND 4004 mkII both use 8 output transistors rather than 12. The 4004 and 4004 mkII have (don't quote me on this but I believe) 24,000uF output caps (opposed to the 35,000uF caps in the 8008bb). Plus the transformer sizes are bigger in the 8008bb opposed to the 4004 and 4004mkII. The current delivery is much much greater in the 8008bb and I recommend that one opposed to either the 4004 or the 4004 mkII.

I have never heard the 4004 or 4004 mkII so I cannot compare it to the 8008bb as far as sound goes, sorry.

Again, what other equipment will you be using the amp with?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • James Zep
    edited November 2012
    Options
    The idea was using this Aragon with a Krell KRC3 preamp and JBL 4430 speakers.
    But it appears that somebody is interested in buying my Acoustic Research AR90, so I might get some extra cash and in this case I’ll take a look to other deal around like a Krell KSA 250 and especially a Pass Lab X250.5 (this actually would be my first choice)… And this extra cash also allows me to seek for an 8008BB rather than a 4004 mkii…

So I’ll see…
  • larry777
    larry777 Posts: 480
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan....
    Home Theatre.............

Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub

2 Channel.............................

Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited November 2012
    Options
    The 8008BB always seem to be the amp model most people are wanting in the Aragon line and are willing to pay the premium price on a used one.
  • headrott
    edited November 2012
    Options
    The idea was using this Aragon with a Krell KRC3 preamp and JBL 4430 speakers.
    But it appears that somebody is interested in buying my Acoustic Research AR90, so I might get some extra cash and in this case I’ll take a look to other deal around like a Krell KSA 250 and especially a Pass Lab X250.5 (this actually would be my first choice)… And this extra cash also allows me to seek for an 8008BB rather than a 4004 mkii…

So I’ll see…

The Krell KSA 250 and Aragon 8008bb have a similar sound. Both very analytical, with every speck of detail coming through. They both have very deep, very tight bass. They both have a somewhat bright high end, but not the worst I've heard. They both have a dark sounding midrange without a lot of warmth and is slightly recessed compared to the high end and bass. They both can drive virtually any speaker out there with ease (although the Krell is a little more powerful than the Aragon). I recommend some tubes with the Aragon to give a little warmth to the sound. that is my opinion of course, however. A Krell KRC3 pre-amp and Aragon 8008bb will definately be a little bright (IMO), without too much warmth to it. The detail will be very nice however if you like a lot of detail. I haven't heard the JBL 4430 speakers so i can't say how the pre and amp will work with those.

What kind of sound are you looking for?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• James Zep
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You’re right Headrott…

I was also afraid of the bright sounding from a mix between Krell and Aragon or a whole Krell system. But it appears that the KRC3 is not really as bright as I thought and a Stereophile review on the KSA 250 didn’t really emphasize such a harsh tone for that amp. I should try to really know.
    So it might work after all.

JBL 4430 are not bright, but they do have kind of forward sounding. However I have bettered their crossover wit top component which give them a bit of extra mellow without compromising their great “in your face details style”.

Anyway as I said before, a much more warmth Pass Lab would the best….

By the way you said “(although the Krell is a little more powerful than the Aragon)”.
    Well, be sure that a KSA 250 has a lot more power than any Aragon, a lot more, maybe too much for my AC line!

Thank you, tahnk you all.
  • James Zep
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You?re right Headrott?

I was also afraid of the bright sounding from a mix between Krell and Aragon or a whole Krell system. But it appears that the KRC3 is not really as bright as I thought and a Stereophile review on the KSA 250 didn?t really emphasize such a harsh tone for that amp. I should try to really know.
    So it might work after all.

JBL 4430 are not bright, but they do have kind of forward sounding. However I have bettered their crossover wit top component which give them a bit of extra mellow without compromising their great ?in your face details style?.

Anyway as I said before, a much more warmth Pass Lab would the best?.

By the way you said ?(although the Krell is a little more powerful than the Aragon)?.
    Well, be sure that a KSA 250 has a lot more power than any Aragon, a lot more, maybe too much for my AC line!

Thank you, tahnk you all.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Glad you found a good combo for those speakers. Actually if you would have just gone with TUBES you'd never have to worry about those JBLs being forward or bright. It's a simple, straightforward solution to that problem.

But, things look OK, anyway!

Enjoy!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • James Zep
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I didn't find yet. I'm still waiting for the seller to define a price for his Pass Lab X250.5...
    Cnh, you mean tubes for a preamp? Because it couldn?t be for a power as I need at least 100 watts per channel.
    I use to have a Melos Sha 1 upgraded. It was pretty good?
  • harley52
    harley52 Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Klipsch never had anything to do with the 4xxx or 8xxx series of Aragon amps. It was the 2xxx series they fooled with.
  • Aragon8008
    Aragon8008 Posts: 10
    edited June 2013
    Options
    8008 BB is best best amp by far to ever have the aragon name, it is still sought after 20 years after they were discontinued...it is the baby krell
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @steve544
    You are not allowed to sell on the forum until you have 100 posts.@kennethswauger could ban you.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    You should also check the dates of the posts as this thtead is four years old!! :D
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2016
    Options
    headrott wrote: »

The Krell KSA 250 and Aragon 8008bb have a similar sound. Both very analytical,

KSA 250, I disagree on analytical and bright. More like neutral and accurate in that it doesn't add gooey, sticky, slobbery, image robbing excess warmth. I know lots of folks use the A word, but I think they need to increase their audio vocabulary... ;)

Also, there are three versions of the KSA 250, depends on which one you hear. Most favor the high bias, room heater 175 degree at the sink sound.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *